Turns Out The President Is Correct About Conditions In Baltimore

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,866 Senior Member

"...Jared Kushner’s family real estate firm owns thousands of apartments and townhomes in the Baltimore area, and some have been criticized for the same kind of disrepair and neglect that the president has accused local leaders of failing to address. Residents have complained about mold, bedbugs, leaks and, yes, mice — plenty of mice. And they say management appears in no hurry to fix the problems...

...Conditions got so bad two years ago that the Baltimore County government issued a release showing the Kushner Cos. had violated housing codes more than 200 times in just 10 months and only moved to fix the problems after being threatened with fines..."

https://www.apnews.com/3b82dd98c56f45d4a97170c3f758cb84

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,795 Senior Member

In all fairness, he has been busy fashioning an enduring peace in the Middle East. ;)

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,708 Senior Member

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,866 Senior Member

I trust you noticed that Trump's home town is far "rattier" than Baltimore.

Despite its murder rate Baltimore simply shares the fate of most American cities - the poor and lower middle class parts of the inner city fell into disrepair mainly due to white flight. The upper middle class parts of Baltimore were, and remain desirable places to live (if you like city living) and the inner city now is becoming increasingly gentrified, itself a matter of controversy.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,792 Senior Member

I like how everybody's all like "well akshully. . . " We're talking about Trump here. He doesn't care about Baltimore any more than he cares about rat infested slums in NY. He just wants to take shots at Cummings. How livable Baltimore is is kinda besides the point.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member

@George K said:
    I trust you noticed that Trump's home town is far "rattier" than Baltimore.

Did.

@George K said:
    Despite its murder rate Baltimore simply shares the fate of most American cities - the poor >and lower middle class parts of the inner city fell into disrepair mainly due to white flight.

Due to democratic rule?

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/how-decades-of-democratic-rule-ruined-some-of-our-finest-cities/

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member
    edited July 31 #8

@sherb said:
    I like how everybody's all like "well akshully. . . " We're talking about Trump here. He doesn't care about Baltimore any more than he cares about rat infested slums in NY. He just wants to take shots at Cummings. How livable Baltimore is is kinda besides the point.

True. However, it's something that nobody else would dare say in past admins. It needed saying IMO. There has been alot of focus on Rural development in recent years, (shout out to the Obama admin for that). Urban decay is just as serious of an issue, if not more so, in the US. Who knows, maybe some good will actually come for a change.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,694 Senior Member

@sherb said:

I iz Bushart T. Periwinkle...and I'z approve this message :)

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,195 Senior Member

Turns out Trump was right. Just like Cummings said. Anyone that’s ever been to Baltimore knows it’s a dump (sure there are some parts that are ok, but there are more that are trashed)

Im sure there will be a major retraction from the left any second now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7308043/Trump-tweets-old-video-Elijah-Cummings-calling-Baltimore-drug-infested-cool-racism-claims.html

JB---you's back
    Haven't seen ya since you were hulu'n in Hawaii

Thought maybe ya went the full "Joe versus the Volcano"

Thanks. Just been swamped at work. Finished a test where we have been working 12 hour shifts around clock for past month. My free time was nearly nonexistent

I was thinkin about you the other day---when last weekend we had the house guests from H ell

Won't hijack this thread tho

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member

@jbilly said:
    Anyone that’s ever been to Baltimore knows it’s a dump (sure there are some parts that are >ok, but there are more that are trashed)

I was just there in May. Agree.

Did you know Cummings district also includes some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in MD? Or did you think he lived in a ghetto?

I think you can probably say that about lots of congressional districts in metropolitan areas.

Still doesn’t change fact that Cummings said the district had problems 20 years ago. It’s still got them.

This might be one of the most truthful things trumps said. He’s not wrong

Trump's a complete moron on policy, but he is a freakin' genius as far as political instincts.

Trump goes after Sharpton. The left responds that Sharpton is a civil rights icon on par with MLK and Gandhi.

Trump goes after Cummings, and the left responds that actually Baltimore is a really nice place.

And as it happens there's a term for it: negative polarization.

Baltimore is a lot, lot better than it was 20 years ago. That's obvious to anyone who goes there regularly.

IMO, the Dems have fallen into yet another trap by lining up to defend the Reverend Soundbite. Trump may be an idiot, but he's an idiot-savant when it comes to this kind of politics.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,795 Senior Member

@jbilly said:
    Hahahahaha. As if this needed even more awesome.

Ownin' the libs is neither sound policy nor a good way to run a country. Just sayin'.

Welcome back, Jim!

@sherb said:
    Trump's a complete moron on policy, but he is a freakin' genius as far as political instincts.

Trump goes after Sharpton. The left responds that Sharpton is a civil rights icon on par with MLK and Gandhi.

Trump goes after Cummings, and the left responds that actually Baltimore is a really nice place.

Conservatives have been saying the same about KY and Texas for years.

Yes, KY is a disgusting, horrible, opossum infested, place. You Yanks should avoid this state at all costs. It's not safe there. There aren't any huge Whitetail deer or even any really good fishing there. Mark that one off the places to visit. It's a s*** hole!

@MikeA said:
    Yes, KY is a disgusting, horrible, opossum infested, place. You Yanks should avoid this state at all costs. It's not safe there. There aren't any huge Whitetail deer or even any really good fishing there. Mark that one off the places to visit. It's a s*** hole!

I would like to attend the Derby---buy me a Bowler hat and try a mint julep

Don't do it Bush. Even just a short stay can be dangerous and you'll never look at your cousin the same again.

Yes it is a lovely place.

@MikeA said:
    Don't do it Bush. Even just a short stay can be dangerous and you'll never look at your cousin the same again.

WHO TOLD YOU BOUT MY COUSIN?? :D

Is it true that in the deep GOPOT South the number one question after a divorce is "Are we still brother and sister?"?

C'Mon boys---must we pick on the south

Buffy is my brother

Next you'll be pickin on the north....eh??

Callin us the chosen frozen or tundra bunnies or seal clubbers (all of course true :) )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.