Home The Lodge

Watched Mueller Today

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 3,041 Senior Member

Is Trump goin ta jail after he loses the next election?

Survey says it's a thing

«13

Replies

  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

    @Bushart said:
    Is Trump goin ta jail after he loses the next election?

    Survey says it's a thing

    I doubt it.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

    It would set an awful precedent. Prosecuting a politician after an election is kind of something you see in third world countries.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:
    It would set an awful precedent. Prosecuting a politician after an election is kind of something you see in third world countries.

    It also happens in countries where the rule of law is more important than an individual's position.

    Trump has been a crook with good lawyers all his career, and almost certainly has committed several felonies related to witness tampering and obstruction while President. He deserves to be prosecuted.

    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

    George, I agree with your sentiment but just don’t see any smoking gun.

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #7

    We could sure some some of that rule of law at our border.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,988 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:
    It would set an awful precedent. Prosecuting a politician after an election is kind of something you see in third world countries.

    Anymore awful than saying winning an election is a free Get Out Of Jail card? Life isn't a board game, and precedent could make the politicians that follow think twice before committing serious crimes.

    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

    Possibly the President's favorite quote:

    "Facts are the enemy of the truth"

    Cervantes

    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #11

    Get all the facts all together, and bring the impeachment. This is the biggest stinky pile of poo I've ever seen. Somebody needs to tell Mueller that in America you're innocent until proven guilty. If you can't charge him with a crime then it's over. Charge him, or S TFU.

  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,988 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:
    Somebody needs to tell Mueller that in America you're innocent until proven guilty.

    Mueller isn't the one calling for impeachment. Tell it to the Dems who don't appear to have solid enough evidence.

    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #13

    He's the one saying he can't exonerate the President. His job wasn't to exonerate the president. That's not how justice works... His job was to find evidence to charge him. He didn't. Say it that way and end this ridiculousness.

    Rep. Michael Turner, R-Ohio, blasted Mueller for saying that his report did not exonerate President Donald Trump because he said Mueller does not have the legal power to exonerate Trump.

    "The statement about exoneration is misleading, and it's meaningless. It colors this investigation — one word of out the entire portion of your report. And it's a meaningless word that has no legal meaning, and it has colored your entire report," Turner said.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/24/robert-mueller-testimony-michael-turner-says-no-one-can-exonerate/1817251001/

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

    There is more than enough evidence to impeach him, but saner Dems get it that it would only help him, since the Senate would not convict.

    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member

    yes, someone should tell the 74 year old career prosecutor that you are "innocent until proven guilty." I'm sure I read that somewhere. :)

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member

    Yes but his remark I can't exonerate makes it seem like Trump's not innocent. Like there's something there that three years, countless money spent, raiding everybody Trump ever spoke to, including his personal attorney, couldn't turn up. They couldn't find one thing to charge him with.

    Why not just say we didn't find evidence to charge him with any crime.


    If there is more than enough evidence but the Dems won't impeach because the senate won't convict him,,,, then we need a freaking refund for this complete waste of time investigation/circus side show.

    The senate won't convict, because there's nothing to convict him of.

  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,988 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:
    His job was to find evidence to charge him.

    Not according to the Rosenstein letter to appoint Mueller. His job was to look into Russian interference in the election and related matters. So he was neither charged with exoneration or finding him guilty. He and his team were supposed to go where the leads took them.

    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

    @FishTX said:

    @MikeA said:
    Somebody needs to tell Mueller that in America you're innocent until proven guilty.

    Mueller isn't the one calling for impeachment. Tell it to the Dems who don't appear to have solid enough evidence.

    I think the evidence is quite solid and Mueller about said as much.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    yes, someone should tell the 74 year old career prosecutor that you are "innocent until proven guilty." I'm sure I read that somewhere. :)

    Are you quoting what I think you are quoting and are you saying Trump is Colonel Jessup?

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #20

    @FishTX said:

    @MikeA said:
    His job was to find evidence to charge him.

    Not according to the Rosenstein letter to appoint Mueller. His job was to look into Russian interference in the election and related matters. So he was neither charged with exoneration or finding him guilty. He and his team were supposed to go where the leads took them.

    This. Focusing on the investigation as a look at Trump's obstruction allowed Trump to claim he was targeted. In politics, every cake is overbaked.
    As to jail for an ex President, I never faulted Ford for letting Nixon off the hook. Many did, but the chaos of a trial would not have been good for the country, and that's probably still true.

  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,296 Senior Member

    Something I've noticed is that depending on where you fall politically, the Mueller seem to be showing what was expected.

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #22

    So the investigation was never about Trump/Russia Collusion all along? They just got FISA warrants to spy on his campaign (before Mueller was appointed) for what then? That’s Interesting. Also interesting is that if this was about going where the leads lead,, somehow Mueller drew a blank on who Fusion GPS was....Are you freaking kidding me!?!?! I think he may have missed a few leads since the only candidate that actually paid a Russian for dirt on the opposing candidate was Hillary Clinton. As it turns out, that dirt was just Russian disinformation designed to do exactly what it did. 

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member

    Bream I noticed the same thing with Kavanaguh.

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:
    Yes but his remark I can't exonerate makes it seem like Trump's not innocent. Like there's something there that three years, countless money spent, raiding everybody Trump ever spoke to, including his personal attorney, couldn't turn up. They couldn't find one thing to charge him with.
    Why not just say we didn't find evidence to charge him with any crime.

    If there is more than enough evidence but the Dems won't impeach because the senate won't convict him,,,, then we need a freaking refund for this complete waste of time investigation/circus side show.
    The senate won't convict, because there's nothing to convict him of.

    It's pretty clear that he is guilty of multiple felony counts of obstruction of justice, and the report says as much. The Senate won't convict because it is controlled by Republicans who don't care what he does as long as they get their tax cuts.

    It's somewhat similar to when the Dem-controlled Senate did not convict Clinton, who was impeached for lying under oath about receiving BJs from an intern, a far less serious crime than obstruction.

    As to he cost of the investigation, the number usually tossed about is around $25 million. Pelosi claimed the other day that as a result of the convictions stemming from the investigation the USG has recovered around $40 million, thus far.

    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:

    @sherb said:
    yes, someone should tell the 74 year old career prosecutor that you are "innocent until proven guilty." I'm sure I read that somewhere. :)

    Are you quoting what I think you are quoting and are you saying Trump is Colonel Jessup?

    :wink:

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:
    So the investigation was never about Trump/Russia Collusion all along? They just got FISA warrants to spy on his campaign (before Mueller was appointed) for what then? That’s Interesting. Also interesting is that if this was about going where the leads lead,, somehow Mueller drew a blank on who Fusion GPS was....Are you freaking kidding me!?!?! I think he may have missed a few leads since the only candidate that actually paid a Russian for dirt on the opposing candidate was Hillary Clinton. As it turns out, that dirt was just Russian disinformation designed to do exactly what it did. 

    You clearly watched none of it.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #27
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #28

    @George

    "Now, before we go to questions, I want to go back to one thing that was said this morning by Mr. Lieu who said, and I quote, “You didn’t charge the president because of the OLC opinion.” That is not the correct way to say it. As we say in the report, and as I said at the opening,** we did not reach a determination as to whether the president committed a crime.**
    ~Mueller

    I guess I missed him outlining multiple felony charges.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

    Coming from you that is hysterical.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:

    If there is more than enough evidence but the Dems won't impeach because the senate won't convict him,,,, then we need a freaking refund for this complete waste of time investigation/circus side show.
    The senate won't convict, because there's nothing to convict him of.

    Speaking of refunds, how about some reimbursement for all the golfing, which I understand to be triple the the cost of the Mueller investigation.

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member

    Yet with all the golfing and the constant attempts to take down this president coming from every direction. Here we are. Thriving like never before.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement