Home The Lodge

YNP TR

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 7,027 Senior Member

Much, much more to follow but this happened..,

Lamar Valley Fuzz

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Woofs preceded our “encounter” with the local law enforcement. Photo credit to bmmike. About a mile up the Slough Creek trail. 7 wolf pups!

This is myself and Sherb’s brother (r) taking selfies with the local law enforcement. Because.... alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.

edited July 2019 #4

“Hey, you single?”

Actual quote. No ****. Sherb’s brother again with the park cop.

”Lawdog” Sherb and brother Sherb explaining to said officer what’s up. It was an impressive display of law acumen and faked sobriety! This was WELL before Sherb’s brother asked if she was single. Which was a good thing. Sheb’s Alpha-ness set the tone for the test of the encounter.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member

This lead to the unfortunate decision of having me drive Sherb's tank of a truck with wading boots on.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited July 2019 #7

Unfortunately nobody captured an image of what caused said encounter with “Officer Knifehands.”

We had a 3/4 finished handle of cheap bourbon and a ****-ton of empty beer cans on and around the truck tailgate. Like, a pile of Bud Light cans so big that you could probably see them from space.

We could have built a reef with them.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Yes, Comic totaled Sherb’s truck. But like we said, this was the least of our problems.

Officer Knifehands:

“Sir! Is there ANYONE here who is not intoxicated?!”

Bmmike and his buddy from Livingston, Vince:

”Good luck with that!”

“Sir! There will be no open container in the park! If you are caught with an open container, neither you nor I will be happy with the consequences!”

Knife hands FTW!

Pictured above, l to r;

Me, Sheb, Officer Knifehands and Sheb’s brother.

Suitable for framing and available from “Yellowstone Fishing and Drinking Tours*”

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,446 Senior Member

Captain knife hands.

our time with her was short, but still...she was loved.

As stated, I’m in a townie bar in W. Yellowstone posting this. You know, for context.

Her lessons shall not soon be forgotten!

Maybe re-name a geyser “Captain Knifehands Geyser?”

Just throwin’ that our there as a topic for discussion

Noteworthy:

The 25-ish bartender here is hot af. Seriously. And she showed me pics with her and a freakin’ huge bull trout she caught over the 4th of July. Just sayin’

Alas, she does it seem interested in museums, galleries and the theatre. Sigh...

Also of note: the day before we all met in Yellowstone, Sheb+bro and I floated the Box Canyon section of the Henry’s Fork.

I gave “Sheb’s All Service Guides” a one-star review on Yelp. His brother concurred with said review. ‘Nuff said.

So you didn't make it to Cody?

edited July 2019 #18

This is is going to be a long thread so we had to sell advertising space:

MAVERICK! YOUR STOP FOR ADVENTURE! **”

**Not applicable to all southwest Idaho residents. See store for details.

I did! I drove to Cody, grabbed a mince at North Fork Anglers, and talked the campground host into letting me park at a USFS CG for a few hours.

Rigged a dry dropper and caught & landed two cutts and a bow.(cuttbow?). Nice fish too! Healthy, fat and 15-17”

Not a bad drive from there to W st

Going to fish either Madison between the dams tomorrow or H Fork

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Fishing was consistent but not lights out.

I went up to the Chub Pond waiting for the other guys after I grabbed the campsite. Caught 3, lost one, all large fish — 3 is pretty aright result for a few hours up there. A family was coming by as I landed one and I was able to have them take a pic.

When they arrived, we tried Soft Drink A ss Crick. Water was cold, no thing rising and no fish hooked. We went down to Lebron River and had consistent action. I got 5 or 6, lost a couple, had a few refusals — all on top.

Soft Drink A ss is the only pitcher I made:

Day 2 my friend Vince came down.

We fished first meadow of Slop Crick. Second is too far for cripples and the elderly, I guess. Saw small murder mongrels on the trail which was really neat.

Fishing was OK. I again got a half dozen, lost a couple. One of those I lost was a slab of a slab that broke me off on 4x. I don’t like 1st as much as 2nd — a couple of the fish I caught were dinks which I never catch in 2nd.

In the afternoon we went back to Lebron River. Fishing was fairly slow on top, I lost one and missed a couple. I only fished an hour tho then decided it was time to get drunk. Vince the Euro nympher nymphed up quite a few while the rest of us were drinking.

Sunday I didn’t fish. Drove home after breakfast.

Good times. Not as good fishing as it can be, but then again none of us really fished all that hard.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member

Looks like I missed a ton of fun. My life sucks, all I do is work.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,280 Senior Member

I assume there is some joking in here?

As in you guys didn't really get in trouble for drinking and Comic didn't really total Sherb's truck?

Captain knife hands pulled up, got out of the vehicle, got into her assertive verbal judo stance, and then pointed out that driving while impaired was illegal.

O: Whose vehicle is this?

Sherb: Mine.

O: You been drinking.

Sherb: yes.

O: ok well, I just want to let you know that driving while impaired is a crime, as is <glances at beer cans spilling off the tailgate> having an open container in a vehicle. Having been made so aware, is there someone who can drive?

(yeah, me, as soon as you leave)

I'll have this guy drive. <glance at Comic>.

Anyway, she radioed ahead, and told us she had, so I eventually had Comic drive. Comic does not have much practice driving a full size pickup. He had to a three point turn, bumped a log, and almost drove off the cliff. He did not enjoy the experience. :)

Then after that, my brother got a selfie with her and asked if she was married. Always on the prowl, that one.

Anyway, it was a fun trip.

As Shawn says, you're not an alcoholic if you at least feel a little bit bad about morning cocktails. And I felt a (slight) tinge of guilt.

KH: Who drove here?

Kev, clearly quite intoxicated: Me, but I’m not driving back.

The best part of any Rondi is never the fishing. Its sitting around the truck after fishing, smoking and joking, drinking, and acting the fool.

Captain Knife hands was the icing on the cake.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,280 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #27

So she pulled up on you guys sitting at the vehicle having an after fishing beer?

For sure.

I fish less and less hard, especially on these rondis. I can’t imagine going as hard as we did in Gaspe or on the Ronde 10 years ago.

Even fishing alone as I most often do, I may walk 10 miles up a mountain to some lake only to sit and reflect for a couple hours without even rigging up, especially if there aren’t fish rising or noticeably cruising the edges

Its not that I am a purist, but I’ve already caught all the fish. I just don’t really feel the need to catch more if it’s not in the manner I most enjoy.

@sherb said:
    Anyway, it was a fun trip.
    As Shawn says, you're not an alcoholic if you at least feel a little bit bad about morning cocktails. And I felt a (slight) tinge of guilt.

In my German/Irish family, your not an alcoholic if you are not a mean drunk.

@NZ Indicator said:
    So she pulled up on you guys sitting at the vehicle having an after fishing beer?

In fairness, it was not so much the after fishing beer as it was the after fishing half gallon of whiskey.

@sherb said:
    The best part of any Rondi is never the fishing. Its sitting around the truck after fishing, smoking and joking, drinking, and acting the fool.

Captain Knife hands was the icing on the cake.

I'll be honest I wasn't really that excited about the fishing. Which is why I stopped on that fish. Why risk ending the fishing on a bad note? It was really great to see you guys and meeting your brother.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement