Home The Lodge

Tipping is racist

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 6,228 Senior Member

Interesting read from Politico. And I hope we finally and forever end the subminimim wage. Always thought that was ridiculous.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/07/17/william-barber-tipping-racist-past-227361

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,227 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #2
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,306 Senior Member

I'm torn on this tipping thing. On one hand, in Europe it's nice to not have to tip, but I've had some of the worst service ever there. Someone does an exceptional job here and I make it worth their while.
    I've not heard of this "sub-minimum" wage here. I guess there might be some places that do that.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

Typically, wait staff in restaurants legally are paid less than minimum wage because it is assumed they will earn tip income. It's a tough job with low pay. That's why I usually tip 20% if service was acceptable, a bit more if it was exceptional.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member

It's everywhere here. $2.25 an hour is robbery. I'm with you George. If they even try I go above and beyond on the tips. If I know they're in school I'll give 30% or more. But that siad the owner should be responsible for providing good wait staff and they really shouldn't be paying any less then the already low Min wage.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,090 Senior Member

I pretty much tip 20% unless there were some major problems.

I wasn't aware that the restaurant owner was supposed to pay more than the minimum tip wage if the staff didn't make at least the real minimum with tips. I've never worked in the restaurant business, so I'm not sure how the owner would know.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

What ticks me off is Europeans that say stupid stuff like, "I don't tip because it is racist."

Well I hope someone spits in their food.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Cool story, bros... I’m still drinking beers in the W Yellowstone townie bar. Hot af bartender gets 40% min.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

But yes, 20% is minimum for me.

These guys and gals bust azs. I’m positive they need the extra few bucks more than I do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement