Apollo 11

FishTXFishTX Super ModeratorPosts: 8,057 Senior Member

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the launch. Anybody watching anything good about it?

I've streamed "Chasing the Moon" twice. It is part of "American Experience" on PBS. Now, I'm streaming "8 Days: To the Moon and Back" on PBS. Also watched the four hours of the original CBS coverage up through the launch. You can watch it on youtube ,and you get the other news and commercials from that day.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

I've been watching "Chasing the Moon." I particularly liked the episode about the extreme altitude manned balloon program in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Boggles my mind to think of jumping out of a balloon at an altitude of 105,000 feet.

I was 12 when Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon. Remember it well-'twas a big deal.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,057 Senior Member

I was 6.

If you like the manned balloon stuff, then read about Col. Kittinger's high altitude parachute jump. There are at least two book by Kittinger. "Come Up and Get Me" which I've have not read. The other I read in H.S. (late 70s) is "The Long, Lonely Leap (1960). The second was co-written with the well known aviation writer, Martin Caidin.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

I took a walk and did a few minutes of star gazing while in YNP. I think I was taking trash to the dumpster but the stars were incredible! No moon in sight yet (still over eastern horizon). Okay though as the stars were amazing and Jupiter was very bright.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.