Is This Appropriate or Prudent?

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,045 Senior Member
edited July 11 in The Lodge #1

The Republican candidate for Governor of Mississippi, Robert Foster, has refused a request from a female reporter to ride with him in his truck while he is out on the campaign trail, saying he had promised his wife he would not be alone with another woman.

See:

US politician insists on chaperone for interview with female reporter

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48954303

I see how in this day of the "me too" movement this might be a smart idea, but it seems excessive. Just keep your hands off of her and treat her professionally.

As for the promise he made to his wife--well, whatever, but if you have a good marriage there should be enough trust that each other will stay within the boundaries and thus no need to make such a promise.

Thoughts?

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,102 Senior Member

This sounds like Sharia Law.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,543 Senior Member

You gotta admire him for sticking to his promise, even if it was a stupid one.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,929 Senior Member

What questions can she ask in a truck that cannot be asked in a public forum?

I kinda get it with accusations flying daily

Ask Kevin Spacey

The wife promise is just insecurity on their part

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,521 Senior Member

Tough call. I guess the question is whether the female reporter is somehow being disadvantaged relative to her male competitors.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,045 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    Tough call. I guess the question is whether the female reporter is somehow being disadvantaged relative to her male competitors.

That is her claim, and it strikes me as being valid.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,521 Senior Member

Well, then the answer is not to drive around with any of the press.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,986 Senior Member

Yeah everybody rolls their eyes at this, but you won’t see Mike Pence on the Lolita express.

I think it’s fine as long as both husband and wife agree to the boundaries

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.