The Lolita Express

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,682 Senior Member

That's the name of Jeffrey Epstein's private jet.

Here's a list from A-Z of everybody involved in this mess.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/07/jeffrey-epstein-bill-clinton-donald-trump-alan-dershowitz.html

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,682 Senior Member

I don't get it.

Even if I were rich/famous/perverted enough to catch a flight to Epstein's private Island, I think I'd be like, "Yeah. . . you got any in the 30-40 year old range? I want to have a cocktail and a conversation both before and after."

Some of these names are the most famous people in the world. What do you think Epstein has on them?

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,294 Senior Member

Nothing. Because they're rich, famous, whatever, these people believe they deserve to do what they want free of all repercussions. Rules don't apply to them.

Epstein...another Shanda fer de goyim.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    That's the name of Jeffrey Epstein's private jet.

Here's a list from A-Z of everybody involved in this mess.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/07/jeffrey-epstein-bill-clinton-donald-trump-alan-dershowitz.html

This is vile libel in at least one case. Woody Allen never had sex with an under age girl unless she was his step-daughter. Fake news.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,752 Senior Member

As I posted on FB. All the headlines and comments today are filled with outrage at this guy getting away with being a pedo because he's rich. Then on my drive home I hear a twofer tues of Michael Jackson. You know the guy who molested 7 year old boys. Retire MJ forever.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,578 Senior Member

What!!!

Woody Allen
    Bill Clinton
    Kevin Spacey

ALL....i mean ALL!!!.....Pure as the driven snow

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member

I am not going to jump to conclusions even regarding Trump. But if they are guilty, lock them away and fire the warden.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

During the 2016 election, Trump alleged Bill Clinton might have a strong connection to Epstein, Clinton is reported to have traveled on Epstein’s plane dozens of times. Referring to Clinton, Trump stated, “Nice guy — uh, got a lot of problems coming up, in my opinion, with the famous island, with Jeffrey Epstein. A lot of problems.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=kEAj2qbB3DA

Well if Trump said it, then by God it must be true.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

He said it in 2016. We shall call him Nostratrumpus

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 959 Senior Member

Trump once hosted an exclusive party with Jeffrey Epstein at his Mar-a-Lago estate, a new report says. It was just the 2 of them and '28 girls.'

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-epstein-party-at-mar-a-lago-women-2019-7

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,576 Senior Member

So Sherb, I have to ask: how on earth do you think Acosta justified this deal? I can understand keeping it quiet, as it's pretty infuriating.

Well there you go. This is how things work in the swamp. Acosta should pay dearly for this if true.

@breamfisher said:
    So Sherb, I have to ask: how on earth do you think Acosta justified this deal? I can understand keeping it quiet, as it's pretty infuriating.

I don't know. It looks awful, no doubt. My guess is that it wasn't a very strong case, and the prosecutors thought that if they didn't give the deal, they might walk away with nothing. which would have been worse.

Sometimes, a plea deal is just a less worse-but still bad-option. Lord knows I've made my share of them over the years.

Sometimes its just better to roll the dice and go to trial. At least then if you lose, you can say you tried.

@sherb said:
    Sometimes its just better to roll the dice and go to trial. At least then if you lose, you can say you tried.

But the almighty success ratio will go down! How will that look when they campaign for office?

@breamfisher said:

@sherb said:

But the almighty success ratio will go down! How will that look when they campaign for office?

All things to consider. a couple of points:

Wins/losses are much more of an issue at the federal level. They usually won't touch a case unless its a slam dunk.

Winning is important, for a number of reasons. Defendants can't be held accountable if they're found not guilty, and in the case of a guy like Epstein, you are basically telling him he's untouchable. That's a bad outcome.

The number one press inquiry that elected prosecutors get is always their win loss-rate. Now, a savvy Prosecutor will use this as an opportunity to talk about the role of a prosecutor and how winning isn't always the #1 goal. But it still matters to constituents, who aren't easily able to determine what effective prosecution looks like.

BUT. . .

The prosecutor who is afraid to take a tough case to trial is dead meat. the Sharks will smell blood in the water every time, and they will bend you over for a sweetheart deal every chance they get. Its better for an office OVERALL to have a reputation of being willing to take tough cases (and inevitably lose a few) because then you get more favorable results in the pleas you do make.

I aim for about a 75% trial conviction rate, consistent with the national average. (overall conviction rate nationally is about 94%, as most cases plead out). This allows the occasional loss while still holding the majority of offenders accountable.

How does average Joe and his accomplishes get a sweet deal like this from lack of evidence in a 53 page FBI indictment ? I guess I’m missing something as usual.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,294 Senior Member

Acosta says he stepped in and took over the case from the State of Florida. By stepping in, he actually got more punishment for Epstein than Florida was seeking.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/labor-secretary-alex-acosta-holds-press-conference-on-jeffrey-epstein.html

yeah, I saw that. Frankly, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

But I'll give Acosta his due. Over the course of thousands of cases, we all make deals that we regret. We never know which deals are gonna come back to bite us. Its just the nature of the beast.

Oh boy. I just realized something.

Acosta's global agreement with Epstein may have inadvertently bound the other federal districts from prosecuting him. It depends on the terms of the agreement.

I guess we will know soon enough.

MAGAt conspiracy theory is that Epstein will divulge everything if he gets immunity. In exchange he will take down the Clintons, the Democrat party, and prove Pizzagate is real.

edited July 11 #25
    edited July 11 #27

@Steven said:
    Acosta says he stepped in and took over the case from the State of Florida. By stepping in, he actually got more punishment for Epstein than Florida was seeking.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/labor-secretary-alex-acosta-holds-press-conference-on-jeffrey-epstein.html

He's digging his grave.
    He might be better off to try this.

Acosta's out.

Proving once again that the only person Trumpism applies to. . . is Trump. Everybody else is subject to the normal playbook.

Who from the fed was involved in the Federal Non prosecution agreement? Anyone?

Given the high profile of the defendant, I'm sure someone from DOJ in Washington was involved and at least reviewed the plea deal. I don't know who.

edited July 12 #31

I don't get it. Why would the US attorneys office agree to such a deal when they have all this evidence? Like Peter said, they don't take a backseat to State prosecutors. But they did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.