Social Media is a Double Edged Sword

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 959 Senior Member

Especially if you are the President and you use it to communicate with Americans. In that case you have to put up with the negative replies. Seems like a no-brainer 1st Amendment based result to me.

Appeals court rules Trump violated First Amendment by blocking Twitter users.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/appeals-court-rules-trump-violated-first-amendment-by-blocking-twitter-users

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,752 Senior Member

But if you own the platform you can block whoever for whatever. Right?

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 959 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    But if you own the platform you can block whoever for whatever. Right?

Yup. First Amendment applies to the government and government officials, not private sector entities/persons. You own it, you can be a dictator.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,682 Senior Member

Its sort of Ironic that the most powerful man in the world can't block users on Twitter, but Jack Dorsey could delete Trump's account without even a second thought, if he wanted to. Maybe Marx was right. Maybe we're all dancing puppets for the capitalists.

<furtively glances in Ed B.'s direction>

I feel that public officials using social media in their official capacity should be treated differently than private citizens.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member

I think that public officials should not use social media for official business. The Court decided correctly , IMO.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,576 Senior Member

Depends on the use. I use Facebook and Twitter to follow announcements from most of my elected representatives and more than a few city through federal governments and agencies. But they all use it for announcements and the like.

I don't follow Pres. Trump as I have no interest in dumpster fires.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member

@breamfisher said:
    Depends on the use. I use Facebook and Twitter to follow announcements from most of my elected representatives and more than a few city through federal governments and agencies. But they all use it for announcements and the like.
    I don't follow Pres. Trump as I have no interest in dumpster fires.

I take your point, but isn't that what official web sites are for?

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

True, but from what I have seen it seems easier and quicker for them to disseminate information over social media than websites.

Also, in conversation with folks who handle such matters most consumers of information now go to social media first, websites a distant second. No newspapers. So if you want to get the word out it's easier for the public and more effective from a manpower perspective to use social media.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,752 Senior Member

That train has left the station. Social Media and politics are here to stay. And I'm glad because I no longer have to depend on some news anchors version of the events. Now we have to decide if blocking people is really a first amendment violation. If it is then it should be enforced regardless of who's doing the blocking.

I have always felt that Twitter is for Twits, and FB is basically an exercise in trolling for compliments and narcissism. But, I know I am in the minority.

Y'all know that a internet messaging board/forum is a form of social media, right?

@breamfisher said:
    Y'all know that a internet messaging board/forum is a form of social media, right?

Yeah, I do, but this place is primitive.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    That train has left the station. Social Media and politics are here to stay. And I'm glad because I no longer have to depend on some news anchors version of the events. Now we have to decide if blocking people is really a first amendment violation. If it is then it should be enforced regardless of who's doing the blocking.

Yeah and the only thing you need to know to trust its veracity is "do I agree with it." Stupid thinking.

Trump is a Political Figure elected to Public Office.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Green Mt Boy said:

@breamfisher said:

Compared to what? Twitter? Facebook? It may be a primitive platform, but compared to parts of the two I referenced it's a veritable cornucopia of civil debate.

@Green Mt Boy said:

@breamfisher said:

Yeah, this place is basically a passenger pigeon.

It his however way, way more civil than the spaces I frequent elsewhere, especially Twitter. Total dumpster fire.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@breamfisher said:

@Green Mt Boy said:

@breamfisher said:

Compared to what? Twitter? Facebook? It may be a primitive platform, but compared to parts of the two I referenced it's a veritable cornucopia of civil debate.

I shouldn't have used the work "primitive." Maybe "limited" is the right word. There are only a handful of regular users whereas Twitter and FB have billions.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,294 Senior Member

Truly double-edged...

Based on this ruling, AOC is getting sued for blocking twitter users.

edited July 12 #22

Twitter is a place you go to get criticized by S. J. W's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.