Was there ever a band at their peak better than....

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,576 Senior Member

the Allman Brothers Band? Seriously, carve out some time and listen to this version of Whipping Post (it's about 23 minutes long). The musicianship of a band with 2 lead guitarists, 2 percussionists, an organ, and Berry Oakley on bass, just flat out amazing, IMHO.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,983 Senior Member

Great stuff. Always loved that song. Thanks for posting.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 959 Senior Member

I bought that double album waaaay back when and still listen to it quite a bit. I like "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" a lot. Never got to see the ABB before Duane died, but saw them afterward and saw Gregg a couple of times. His "Laid Back" album is a classic. I especially like "Multi Colored Lady."

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,580 Senior Member

You've dusted off your LP'S and are teachin your new baby bout Rock n Roll....ain't chya :)

Annnd....what Sorcery is this that you have performed to show the vid in a viewing pane and not a link???

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,576 Senior Member

Been listening to them for years. Both my kids have had a steady influx of Allmans since they came home. Not much Skynyrd. And don't worry, Bushart: they get some Rush, too.

I did have the little one headbanging to some Iron Maiden with me the other day. Don't worry, the only one who got hurt was me.

As for the sorcery, maybe it's because I posted on my laptop and not my phone?

@Green Mt Boy said:
    I bought that double album waaaay back when and still listen to it quite a bit. I like "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" a lot. Never got to see the ABB before Duane died, but saw them afterward and saw Gregg a couple of times. His "Laid Back" album is a classic. I especially like "Multi Colored Lady."

"In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is one of Dickey Betts' great songs. Kinda jazzy.

I'm posting on desktop

test....using attach link

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SZ4pwMxtwEs

@breamfisher said:
    Been listening to them for years. Both my kids have had a steady influx of Allmans since they came home. Not much Skynyrd. And don't worry, Bushart: they get some Rush, too.

I did have the little one headbanging to some Iron Maiden with me the other day. Don't worry, the only one who got hurt was me.

As for the sorcery, maybe it's because I posted on my laptop and not my phone?

Good to see Geddy n da boys

One day introduce them to....

1. Rust Never Sleeps
    2. The Yes Album
    3. Abbey Road...Side Deux
    4. And of course Floyd....never overlook the Floyd

This will ensure they grow up---well rounded and always questioning authority :)

Not a fan of the Beatles, and kinda on the fence on Pink Floyd. Some of it is quite good, other stuff is kinda repetitive.

Break out the Neil then....Pour yurself a tall one---soon you'll become Jack London---headin for those northern lights---build a log cabin on a river and live peacefully ever after :)

Wonder if Warren is using this :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=p13gx9wnNBc

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member

No collection - whatever the medium - is complete without Brothers and Sisters and Live at the Fillmore East. Additional albums are icing on the cake, IMO.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 959 Senior Member

Eat a Peach is a seminal album.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member

@Green Mt Boy said:
    Eat a Peach is a seminal album.

Sure, but later versions of the cuts therein were better, I think.

OTOH, it's all good, except for the lame late 90's or early 2000's return to the Fillmore fiasco.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.