Jellystone.

bmmikebmmike Posts: 504 Senior Member

Are we still going? I think we are down to 4.

Ill be there first thing Friday to grab a campground. If there are only 4, we probably only need the one.

Ill bring elk for burgers. Firewood. General camping stuff.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,700 Senior Member

I think my brother wants to come.

Who else? Comic, Shawn, golden ladle?

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,558 Senior Member

I am not coming up Friday Night and fishing Saturday.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@fishingcomic said:
    I am not coming up Friday Night and fishing Saturday.

Huh? Confused.

Edit, I am coming up Friday and fishing Saturday

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

The woman that was going to cover for me, got a new job.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,873 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    I think my brother wants to come.
    Who else? Comic, Shawn, golden ladle?

I'm trying. I wish I had a employee I could dump the work on but I don't. Which camp ground are you using? I am only familiar with the west side of the park.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,735 Senior Member

I’ll drive up to the park Thursday and be in Lamar Valley that evening or Friday early-ish. It’s at least 8 hour shift from Ogden without elk jams.

Goldie, Pebble Creek Campground. Lamar Valley is the best part of YNP for my money. If you’ve never been it is really worth it.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,595 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    I’ll drive up to the park Thursday and be in Lamar Valley that evening or Friday early-ish. It’s at least 8 hour shift from Ogden without elk jams.
    Goldie, Pebble Creek Campground. Lamar Valley is the best part of YNP for my money. If you’ve never been it is really worth it.

OK Shawn
    I need a new screensaver---so how's about a pic of you in the river with your shiny $10,000 reel

And again---please NO Full frontal shots ;)

Logistical matter. If they typically sell out of camp sites before Friday, where am I going to stay?

But seriously, if I get there Thursday I will also get a campground.

I got blanked again this evening so perhaps I will catch some fish in YNP.

On the positive side, my arm/shoulder feels pretty good. The leg recovery (wading) is actually a bit more sketchy. I didn’t even think about my leg until I stepped in the river last week. Ha! The muscle atrophy got me but I’ll be good for the trip to fish!

Mike, I get half off camping in National Park campsites so if I get there before you I will grab a site to save some moolah. If it is a ‘self-serve’ pay station wait until I get there to drop the cash in the slot.

*This offer not valid in any strip club or **** bar in the contiguous United States.

Hey Mike, anything in particular you want us to bring along? I was thinking of bringing the following, unless you plan on throwing it in your truck.

-Lantern
    -Two burner stove
    -Bow saw
    -Hatchet
    -Kitchen kit with spices, two small pots, frying pan, utensils

Let us know.

I figure we could all bring our own food/beer (although the elk burgers sound great; thanks!).

I ask because of past experience. About 25 years ago a few guys went up to Grand Teton to fish and camp. When we got there our provisions consisted of seven cases of beer and a dozen donuts.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,595 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    Hey Mike, anything in particular you want us to bring along? I was thinking of bringing the following, unless you plan on throwing it in your truck.

-Lantern
    -Two burner stove
    -Bow saw
    -Hatchet
    -Kitchen kit with spices, two small pots, frying pan, utensils

Let us know.

I figure we could all bring our own food/beer (although the elk burgers sound great; thanks!).

I ask because of past experience. About 25 years ago a few guys went up to Grand Teton to fish and camp. When we got there our provisions consisted of seven cases of beer and a dozen donuts.

Ah...the Canadian survival kit

FYI, the park does not allow felt-soled waders. Also, no lead, no barbed hooks. Buy a park fishing permit at any park store or ranger HQ. Places outside the park have the permits too.

I'll be there Thursday night as well. (Assuming my wife signs on for an extra day). I'm going to float the box with my brother and then park the boat somewhere (not sure where) and head to Yellowstone.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,873 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    FYI, the park does not allow felt-soled waders.

Oh no! I only have 5 pairs of boots and all are felt.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,986 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    FYI, the park does not allow felt-soled waders.

I hate this ban. Kinda silly considering all the other vectors that a fisherman is wearing that can transport the organisms...boot laces, neoprene booties, feathers on the flies etc.

Nevermind the animals and birds moving from watershed to watershed.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 504 Senior Member

You bring ally

Board sucls try late

I have Korkers so im going to pick up some sticky rubber soles.

Any experience with these in conjunction with studs?

Comic has aqua stealth and says they arok but I want more grip

Board sucks balls today

None of the Lamar’s valley rivers are difficult wading. It is mostly loose gravel, nothing uneven or slippery. I’ll be wading in sandals.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,803 Senior Member

The worst thing about felt sole bans, like the one in Maryland where I fish for shad and trout, is that the research shows they are not the cause of rock snot infestation. But once a ban goes into effect based on bad assumptions, good luck getting it lifted.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 959 Senior Member

@George K said:
    The worst thing about felt sole bans, like the one in Maryland where I fish for shad and trout, is that the research shows they are not the cause of rock snot infestation. But once a ban goes into effect based on bad assumptions, good luck getting it lifted.

That actually happened here in VT: felt soles were banned but a few years later the legislature repealed the ban.

I have korkers and several sets of soles so I can handle any regulatory environment. The boots are otherwise OK but not as good as the Simms guide boots I previously had.

Board is working a little better...

Bring all that stuff. I will bring the elk burgers for 5. Some oatmeal and fixings for breakfast I will share if anyone want oats. Burner and percolator and coffee. Wood for fires.

I’ll be to Pebble Creek around 6:30-7am to get a site. I drive a black FJ. Backcountry plates. If I’m not there, I’ll probably be up at Trout Lake fishing — checkout isn’t til 11am at the site so the last people may not free up our site til then. I’ll hang out at the checking until 8 at the latest then go fish a couple hours at the lake.

If you are planning on hiking Slough, bring a pack to carry water, snacks and your wading boots/sandals along with shoes to walk in. You don’t want to walk all that way in wading stuff.

We need to do some deconfliction. Shawn will be there Thursday evening, as will I. Should we grab a spot at pebble creek?

or are you headed up Thursday, Mike?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.