Truly Tragic

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 3,294 Senior Member

Fire destroyed a Jim Beam warehouse with 45,000 barrels of bourbon in it.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,682 Senior Member

This is the worst day of my life.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,576 Senior Member

Thoughts and prayers.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,580 Senior Member
    edited July 3 #4

Uhhhh......Bottle the smoke and Vape it

Why must I always be the idea guy? :)

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member

There is this documentary on Bourbon and the culture around it. Another distiller had a similar experience and Jim Beam gave them a bunch of their barrels to replace what they lost.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 959 Senior Member

A lot of the bourbon got into a river and killed a bunch of fish. That's truly tragic.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-river-littered-dead-fish-wake-jim-beam/story?id=64183997

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

All of those distilleries are on the Kentucky river (Because of the limestone, I think) When Wild Turkey burned about 10 years ago, same thing. My nephew told me the whole river smells like Bourbon right now.

A really good tour if you happen to be in Frankfort is the Buffalo trace distillery, founded in 1787. They have it down to a science. There's a tasting afterwards.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member

Buffalo Trace is great place to tour and taste excellent whiskey. We were disappointed at Four Roses, where the tour was worthwhile but the tasting was limited to their entry-level, meh stuff. A pleasant surprise was the Heaven Hill tour and tasting. They make everything from bottom shelf to good stuff like Elijah Craig and hard-to-find anywhere near me Old Fitzgerald. They also import or distribute other spirits, but the tasting was four or five bourbons, most of them worth a detour, as the saying goes.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.