Dear CO Native

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,815 Senior Member
edited June 10 in The Lodge #1

I feel your pain, as Slick Willy used to say.

We flew in and out of Denver, picking up a car for a family wedding in Laramie and some tourism in both Dakotas. We over-nighted in Fort Collins on the way to Laramie and Loveland on the way home.

It had been close to ten years since we made a similar trip to Laramie and Fort Collins; we had family in both places at the time. I can hardly believe how much worse traffic has become, or how the I-25 corridor from Denver to Cheyenne is looking like the I-95 mess from Baltimore to Boston because of rampant development. I remember when Ft. Collins was a nice , livable college town - it ain't no more.

Every road we used in the area was bumper to bumper from morning to night; I25, I70 and their "2" feeder roads. Even 85 and 285 were packed at times and in certain places. The highway to Colorado Springs looked almost as bad from the glimpses we had of it.

Our relatives lay the blame the same place you do - GD Californians!

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #2

Now you know why we are looking at Cheyenne. The wife won't get to far from the kids and one is in FC and the other in Greeley.
    Traffic north of FC isn't bad once you get past Wellington and the Greeley highway is actually a nice drive from Cheyenne to Greeley (except for the oil rig trash).

If I could convince the wife, we'd buy in northern Wyo and then travel in the winter.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    edited June 11 #3

Downtown Cheyenne dd not impress us at all, although there are ongoing efforts to attract restaurants and shops. The bride's parent's hosted a brunch the day after the wedding. They live in an upscale area in NE Cheyenne, west of the Vanderhei Ave exit of I-25/US 85. That's the only other area we saw, so there probably were interesting restaurants and things to do that we just did not see.

Compared to Fort Collins, there isn't much in the way of food and drink in Cheyenne. There is one good bar for martinis down town and a couple of good steak places. It's only 40 minutes to FC if we want that sort of thing.
    We are looking for a place just off of Gardenia (which is what Vandehei turns into) and Powderhouse. There is a section of town houses in there that we really like.

edited June 11 #5

Good luck and all the best if you do move. Check out Laramie if you haven't already, as a place to visit. It's a bit farther than FC, but has a few good restaurants and bars. There's at least one very good Thai place and a couple of brewpubs.

If any Lodge Brothers visit send them to the Buckhorn, the oldest and last surviving cowboy dive bar in Laramie. The fun gets going when the timider tourists leave and the locals start getting drunk.

Spent a lot of time in Laramie because the boy when to UW.
    I'd move there, but no way the wife would. Literally the only shopping is Walmart or Menard's.
    That reminds, where did the owner of Menard's come up with that name? He kicked a pirate in the balls and he yelled "OH, ME NARDS".
    Sorry.

The wedding I just went to was my step grandson's by marriage (My wife's late husband's grandson). We also attended his graduations from Laramie H.S. and UW.

Laramie has grown a bit and gotten more civilized over the years. I remember when folks made a grocery run to Ft. Collins once every week or two. Now there is a decent supermarket, the Co-Op and Walmart as well - the buggers are spoiled for choice. :smile:

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member

@George K said:
    Good luck and all the best if you do move. Check out Laramie if you haven't already, as a place to visit. It's a bit farther than FC, but has a few good restaurants and bars. There's at least one very good Thai place and a couple of brewpubs.

If any Lodge Brothers visit send them to the Buckhorn, the oldest and last surviving cowboy dive bar in Laramie. The fun gets going when the timider tourists leave and the locals start getting drunk.

Laramie has been my layover spot on my Colorado trip the last few years. My friend and I end up at the Crowbar after rolling into town and getting our motel. Good craft beer selection and decent food.

http://thecrowbarandgrill.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.