Home The Lodge

You know what looks fun to me?

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 5,851 Senior Member

Queuing up with 300 other people on the top of Everest, hoping you don't die waiting to get your selfie.

Joe, is that Rad enough for you?

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member

I would post a pic but that doesn't appear to be working. Just google "Everest Images" and check out the first one that comes up

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member

I have seen it. No thank you, not for me. But send us the selfie.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

Seems like having to stand in line with a couple of hundred other people near the summit of Everest contradicts at least one of the reasons for climbing that mountain in the first place (doing something few others have or will do).

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

Don't think Joe's headin up Everest......No televised pro sporting events

And re: no pix post----our "Meme" thread is dying a lingering death

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Queuing up with 300 other people on the top of Everest, hoping you don't die waiting to get your selfie.

Rad isn't the term I would use for this adventure.

---At 29,035 feet, the air atop Everest has such low oxygen levels that just being in the area near the summit, let alone climbing, proves lethal for those who cannot reach extra oxygen supplies fast enough.

"Once you get above about 25,000 feet, your body just can't metabolize the oxygen," Grayson Schaffer, editor of Outside magazine, told NPR. "Your muscles start to break down. You start to have fluid that builds up around your lungs and your brain. Your brain starts to swell. You start to lose cognition. Your decision making starts to become slow. And you start to make bad decisions."

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #7

@NZ Indicator said:

"Once you get above about 25,000 feet, your body just can't metabolize the oxygen," Grayson Schaffer, editor of Outside magazine, told NPR. "Your muscles start to break down. You start to have fluid that builds up around your lungs and your brain. Your brain starts to swell. You start to lose cognition. Your decision making starts to become slow. And you start to make bad decisions."

I could make a joke about this quote and our President but I guess I won't. Don't want to go all political.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member

My wife and two of her friends trekked to Everest base camp which is at 17,600 feet.

The whole thing sounded awful and not something I'd ever have an interest in.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

@sherb said:

Rad isn't the term I would use for this adventure.

---At 29,035 feet, the air atop Everest has such low oxygen levels that just being in the area near the summit, let alone climbing, proves lethal for those who cannot reach extra oxygen supplies fast enough.

This sounds a lot like the time I let my buddy mix drinks at our bbq---have not touched a "Caesar" in 25 years

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #10

Some dude from Boulder just died up there. It's all over the news. Supposedly, he was in a smaller group that made it with no issues and then he vapor locked on the way down.
    Evidently, when you die up there, you stay up there. No way to retrieve the body.
    I could just hear the leader of the team: "Buzzards gotta eat too!!".

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/27/mount-everest-boulder-attorney-death/

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,845 Senior Member

Bodies and feces tend to stay up there. Bodies are used as landmarks. Which is pretty morbid....

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 5,656 Senior Member

The only place where more men have made a selfie of them being on top of is Brian Ds mom.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Death by queue, the most British way to go.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

There’s no buzzards up there. No bugs. Barely anything to even cause decomposition. Naught to eat you, you just stay frozen for all of time.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

Maybe this solves a long standing problem, what Yetis eat. They may be carrion eaters. Look for the Goretex and fleece fragments in their poop.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,816 Senior Member

Hopefully posting links still works. The Simpson’s already solved this problem

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement