Home The Lodge

Anybody else having really crappy weather?

CO NativeCO Native Senior MemberPosts: 2,001 Senior Member

We've had one day in the 80's and only a handful in the 70's. It's been 50's and 60's for most of May. Seems more like March with rain and snow almost every day.
It's been great for the fishing, but I'm getting really tired of it. My raincoat and fishing gear is starting to mold I think.
It dries up just enough to get the lawn mowed and then here it comes again.
I'll bet when it turns hot, it will be brutal.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member

You should let the lawn grow until summer and cut it with a scythe.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

It's been that here as well
    Hard to get an entire day of sunshine

Fishin yesterday---north wind---jacket and hoodie weather---almost June

Sidenote---got into some good crappies and a 30 inch gator--with an attitude

I'd post pics but this site says...Nay Nay

edited May 2019 #4

Our mountains got 700" of snow this year. Which sounds great until you realize that I only got to ski 3 times with any visibilty and without snow in my face.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

It has been unusually cool and rainy in VT. Seems like we're about 2-3 weeks behind in the transition to summer. Rivers and streams are high and often unfishable.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #6

Way too much rain and cold. My home stream which I normally would have fished at least a dozen or more times by now...I've been out on it exactly twice because it has been flooded most of April and May.

The two times it came down to fishable levels it wasn't much more than a day or two and it there would be another dump of rain pushing the levels back up.

Fished it this past Sunday for the second time this year...yesterday it rained all **** day and now it's flooded again.

Really sick of this ****.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

It has been a long spring here, as well. Lots of rain, cold weather, wind.

Fishing has been hit and miss, have had some really good days mixed into a lot of bad days. Usually spring is great minus the occasional foul weather day.

I have scythed part of my property but not even close to all I need to cut thus far. Scything is hard when the grass is knee high and wet.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,843 Senior Member

Mid to high 90s here from last week through this one, with over 50% or higher humidity during the day and near 90% at night, and low chances of any sort of rain. That's a full 10 degrees above normal, and more like July or August.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,001 Senior Member

@breamfisher said:
    Mid to high 90s here from last week through this one, with over 50% or higher humidity during the day and near 90% at night, and low chances of any sort of rain. That's a full 10 degrees above normal, and more like July or August.

Whoa. Where is "here"? I'm assuming southeast.

edited May 2019 #10

Central Floriduh.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member

@bmmike said:
    It has been a long spring here, as well. Lots of rain, cold weather, wind.
    Fishing has been hit and miss, have had some really good days mixed into a lot of bad days. Usually spring is great minus the occasional foul weather day.
    I have scythed part of my property but not even close to all I need to cut thus far. Scything is hard when the grass is knee high and wet.

I'm going to send you a picture of my five acres. I "scythed" it in an hour with a tractor. :)

Back on topic: On Sunday it rained like I've never seen it rain here. I was expecting frogs and locusts and the river turning to blood.

@sherb said:
    Back on topic: On Sunday it rained like I've never seen it rain here. I was expecting frogs and locusts and the river turning to blood.

If it rained like that, you shoulda been building an ark, or at least getting the drift boat ready.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

Pray for the Mississippi Valley, its getting scary.

Did you make any gains driving that tractor?

I come in pretty swoll after a couple hours scything.

gainz for the win.

Also, consider the tractor is an hour alone in the yard vs the many hours alone with the scythe. No drone of an engine, just making gains and/or drinking exponentially more beers, alone with your thoughts and free from distraction. Because what can SWMBO say or make you do instead if you’re out there cutting the grass? Nada.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member

Yes, we're still waiting for the American Spring here in Iowa.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member

@sherb said:

If the livestock start dying, please get back to us. I've got things to do.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Will the rivets here in northern UT be fishable by 4 July? It’s possible they may still be blown out. Crazy stuff but as they say, we sure do need the water.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,035 Senior Member

We had three nice days for the weekend (spent catching up on yard work and cleaning the basement, of course,) but today, it's right back into the same soggy, gray pattern. I feel a certain responsibility for it locally because the oldest son and I put up the air conditioners yesterday.

Jim

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 5,655 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #22

Long wet spring here too. Or maybe normal. I’m not sure what’s normal anymore. Then the day I get off for four days it hits 90+ all four days....

@Shawn C. said:
    Will the rivets here in northern UT be fishable by 4 July? It’s possible they may still be blown out. Crazy stuff but as they say, we sure do need the water.

The good news is many of them are tail waters. Weber fished well Sunday.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member

Bad weather? You betchum Red Rider.

May 1-22: Home in PA, officially there was measurable rain all but one or two days.

May 23: Flew from Baltimore to Denver. The plane sat on the runway for two and a half hours. Because of severe thunderstorms BWI shut down until they passed.

Picked up a car and drove to Ft. Collins in heavy rain.

May 24: Drove to Laramie in intermittent heavy rain.

May 25-26: Overcast in Laramie, but the Weather Gods smiled; my step-grandson's outdoor wedding went well, with temps in the 60s and no rain.

May 27: Drove to Cheyenne for a brunch at the bride's parent's house. Parts of I-80 were near-zero visibility due to fog. After the brunch we stopped at Sierra Trading and after a half hour of shopping waited about an hour for the hail storm to end. There were three inches of accumulated hail in the parking lot. It was then that I discovered that a fuse box door makes for a good emergency ice scraper. Parts of I-80 were treacherous, with several accidents.

May 28 (today): Drove from Cheyenne to Rapid City with a stop at Fort Laramie National Historical Site (worth a visit). Heavy rain most of the time, coupled with gale force winds.

Supposedly the weather will improve in the next week while we visit National and State parks in both Dakotas. I'll believe it when I see it.

p.s. I do not regret not packing a rod on this tightly timed trip. Every river and creek we passed was blown out or in actual flood stage.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member

**** George. Sounds like you are just following the bad weather around.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member

Same as bream, here. High 90s for the last couple weeks. No rain in several weeks. Grass dying everywhere.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member

Cool and rainy here too. Three or four weeks ago we had a 1 to 2 inch rain and the rivers have been at runoff levels ever since. It went from cold and snowy to cool and rainy. It finally looks like its warming up some in the next week of so.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Still lots of snow in the Bitterroots?

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    **** George. Sounds like you are just following the bad weather around.

Today was OK, high 60s and no rain! We spent the day at the Crazy Horse monument site and Custer State Park, will see Mt Rushmore tomorrow.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will

The northern Rockies, Montana and Idaho, do not have nearly the snowpack of last year. It’s melting slowly, but the west side of the divide is below 100% average for spring.

You can check daily averages for the entire west here:

Montana only:

Those PDFs are updated almost every day throughout the year.

its crazy how much snow the southern Rockies still has.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,001 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #31

@George K said:

Today was OK, high 60s and no rain! We spent the day at the Crazy Horse monument site and Custer State Park, will see Mt Rushmore tomorrow.

About every 3 years we do a trip to the Black Hills. We go in October (1 week before the big buffalo roundup). No crowds at all, cool weather and the fishing is good.

Mount Rushmore is one of them things that just amazes me and I can stand and look at it for hours. Not sure what it is about it, but it just impresses the hell out of me.

On the other hand, Crazy Horse is awesome, but doesn't impress me as much. I think it's because of the era and technology that was used on Rushmore.

Also, today is the first day in a loooong time that it's in the 60's with no wind or rain.
    I have a 10:21 tee time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement