Home The Lodge

Raptors/Bucks,,,,& Drake??

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 3,041 Senior Member

Not sure if anyone is watchin B-Ball ??

But hey--don't blame us for Drake's antics---rubbing the coach's shoulders--yelling at the opposing players-right on the court-----it's really quite embarrassing

To quote Seinfeld..."I hate the Drake"

PS...I was leanin over the hedge of the nudist colony with my camera and was gonna show ya'll....But still can't post pics---use quotes---provide links to prove Steven to be an "Anti-Anglophone" :-) or use a smiley face wink to razz Shawner about his situation or Hockey choices.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,585 Senior Member

5 guys, fighting another 5 guys trying to get a ball in a hole...

Just like late night at the bar.

Naw...don't watch much overpaid chest thumpers these days.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member

Man you are just so superior to all of us in so many ways. It is truly down right impressive.

For me to watch a sporting event, I need to have an emotional attachment to one of the teams competing. Once the Jazz were eliminated I had no interest in watching.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited May 2019 #4

Superior? LOL. Not even a chance I think that.

Just not into overpaid chest thumpers.

https://i.imgur.com/gUgkpTx.jpg

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

I don’t hate the NBA, but I do find it tough to watch. I feel like you can tune in for the 4th quarter only as any lead or deficit is inconsequential prior to that.

I do like the star power of the league though. Some truly amazing athletes.

Except each score is a display of athletic and tactical prowess.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,001 Senior Member

I used to love basketball in the days before all of the rule changes. Now they can just about carry a ball and not get called for it.
    I know the changes were to make the game more exciting and fast paced, but it made playing defense almost impossible (see the high scores).

If any game needs a change to make it more exciting, it's soccer.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

That comic strip is soooo great.

Professional sportsball and sportsing fandom seems ridiculous, but it’s really no different, with one exception , than watching Game of Thrones or playing a vidja game or reading a novel or just about any other passive hobby. The exception is the tribalism it somehow invokes in people, which is dog damned obnoxious — these strong feelings of pride and whatever else people feel toward their favorite team and the illogical anger and disdain toward other teams, or even the fan’s of other teams, is absolutely idiotic.

@bmmike said:
    Professional sportsball and sportsing fandom seems ridiculous, but it’s really no different, with one exception , than watching Game of Thrones or playing a vidja game or reading a novel or just about any other passive hobby. The exception is the tribalism it somehow invokes in people, which is dog damned obnoxious — these strong feelings of pride and whatever else people feel toward their favorite team and the illogical anger and disdain toward other teams, or even the fan’s of other teams, is absolutely idiotic.

Spoken like an Eagles fan.

Seriously though, and this is in a lot of areas of our culture, we have forgotten the values that sports are supposed to teach us. Like follow the rules, fair play, good sportsmanship, being a good winner and not a sore loser. I think it started the moment we began to say that poor sports were simply competitive or passionate.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,001 Senior Member

@bmmike said:

Can you image women from book clubs throwing down because someone doesn't like a book? Or fisherman dressing like complete morons and fighting over a fishing spot - Oh wait. Never mind.

Counterpoint to bmmike:

F*** the Patriots

Gart,

I used to love Big East basketball before they dismantled the conference to maximize revenue from football (2012, I think). Dam shame, that was old school defense-first basketball. Give me a well played 52-50 final score any day over a NBA game with no defense.

Bmmike, a lot of sports fandom is re-wrapped civic pride. You are from back east I think, so you probably understand that. I’ve never been able to fully explain that to the Intermountain Westerners. Foreign concept to them.

Most fanbases are really cool. But when you get 65,000 people together and mix in copious amounts of alcohol, things are gonna go down (any type of event.)

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

I spent the majority of my formative years ‘back east’ so I suppose it is fair to say I’m from there even if I’m not originally.

I do not dislike sports at all. They do, or at least should, teach some valuable life lessons. And they are often enjoyable to play. I played a couple years of football in high school - I wasn’t very good - and lacrosse for many years — I was pretty good, recruited by a bunch of schools to play in college which I did for a year then decided I’d rather not have that commitment any longer (no scholarship or anything riding on it).

It is the professional sports that boggle my mind, mostly the fanbases and the amount of importance and energy they place into a passive activity. The behavior really is mind boggling.

I did sometimes enjoy sporting events. An Orioles game with friends was always enjoyable — $8 tickets at the gate for anything other than Yankees or Red Sox games (because it was cheaper for their fans to spend the weekend in Baltimore than go to a single game at their favorite sportsing team’s stadium). Capitals games were fun when my wife and I got discounted seats not claimed from her employer (this ended a few years into the Ovechkin era when everyone wanted the seats). Point is, for something that is essentially mindless entertainment the amount of import some people place upon the outcome is absolutely mind boggling. Monday morning at work during football season was always an enjoyable exercise watching the mental gymnastics of people analyzing the latest big game.

I don’t really have a point here. People like what they like. They are just dumb people if they are sport people. ;)

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

Definition of war tribes----Leafs/Sens

Good chance there's name calling with expletives ---beer tossing and a l'il bare knuckled boxing :-)

@bmmike said:

It is great. It nails every after game sports interview ever.

And agree with you on the rest. I used to be in that tribe. Would spend 9 hours on Sunday watching football and then all of the post game examination at work with co-workers or elsewhere with friends.

Then a light bulb went off one day and I realized how much time I was wasting on that stuff. Much better stuff to do outdoors. I still watch the occasional Packer game if it's raining out or snowing but I don't go out of my way to watch them anymore.

@fishingcomic said:

Seriously though, and this is in a lot of areas of our culture, we have forgotten the values that >sports are supposed to teach us. Like follow the rules, fair play, good sportsmanship, being a >good winner and not a sore loser. I think it started the moment we began to say that poor >sports were simply competitive or passionate.

True on the high school level. Not so much on the college or pro levels these days IMO. See a lot of fights and sore loser conduct.

edited May 2019 #17

You got parents getting charged with assault and battery at Little League games. In the pros how many commentators have referred to a guy breaking a baseball bat or taking a cheap shot as a 'fierce competitor'?
    It happens at all levels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement