Home The Lodge

Alabama Taliban

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 7,027 Senior Member

No discussion of the new abortion law in Alabama?

How long until it gets overturned? Will any federal court/judge uphold it?

If Roe v. Wade ever gets overturned, what will the Republicans use to court the evangelical vote? Seems better for them to keep waging this fight forever than to throw a Hail Mary and try to actually win it.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member

I had a friend that pointed out that the difference between fundamentalist Christians and Muslim extremists is bacon.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Oh, snap! That has to be put into someone’s routine if it already hasn’t been!!!

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    I had a friend that pointed out that the difference between fundamentalist Christians and Muslim extremists is bacon.

You're friends with John Podesta? Cool.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #5

I think it’s an overreach. Alabama should have tried something less drastic if they wanted the Supreme Court to grant review. They probably won’t. Easier to duck the question and wait for a less restrictive law

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,101 Senior Member

when Pat Robertson comes out and says it is too extreme, somebody done **** up

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

Think how angry those Alabamans will be when the condom breaks and their sister can't get an abortion.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Think how angry those Alabamans will be when the condom breaks and their sister can't get an abortion.

Oh Snap :D

“This is my son & nephew, Cletus.”

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member

From AOC:

"'Abortion bans aren’t just about controlling women’s bodies,'” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. "'They’re about controlling women’s sexuality. Owning women. From limiting birth control to banning comprehensive sex ed, U.S. religious fundamentalists are working hard to outlaw sex that falls outside their theology.'"

So Cortez thinks that this is all about controlling a woman's sexuality. Why is it so hard to believe that some people really think life starts at conception? Personally, I don't really think this, but I can certainly understand if somebody else does.

I'm not saying anybody has the right to impose their religious views on others, but why can't people be taken at their word?

D'Ya think Cletus will have Summer Teeth...u know

Summer here & Summer there

Cletus comin home from school....

Cletus: Momma ya know at school I can count to 10 quicker than anyone..It's cuz I special right?
    Momma: That's right

Cletus: Momma ya know I can say the alphabet quicker than anyone...It's cuz I'm special right?
    Momma: That's right

Cletus: Momma ya know I can tie my shoes all by myself---it's cuz I'm special right?
    Momma: No it's cuz your 21

All Apologies to Cletus but seriously...

IMO this has Jack to do with Religion or the Moral Majority

It has everything to do with Tribal Politics

Your side wants "A"

Then we want "B"

You won "A' way back when....now we have "Gamed" the system to win back "B"

Therefore we win....and that's all that matters

Women of Alabama---please use clean coat hangers and make sure the expiry date on the Drano is noted

edited May 2019 #13

Many of the people that oppose abortion will still find a way to get one. This is about not only controlling women's sexuality, it is also about economic control.

Its not about economic control. Its not about controlling women's bodies. Liberals are really bad a discerning actual conservative positions on issues. The social science bears this out too. Conservatives are much more attuned to liberals than vice versa.

Many conservatives have a sincerely held objection to abortion. They just do. Science is not on the side of the left. Ultrasounds will show a human baby at 10 weeks.

All fair points but history says whether legal or not---it's still gonna get done

And when it's illegal it leads to sketchy operations and endangering the women

Was this not the basis of Roe v wade?

In a perfect world Birth control would be widely used (even tho the Church frowned on it at one time)

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Its not about economic control. Its not about controlling women's bodies. Liberals are really bad a discerning actual conservative positions on issues. The social science bears this out too. Conservatives are much more attuned to liberals than vice versa.
    Many conservatives have a sincerely held objection to abortion. They just do. Science is not on the side of the left. Ultrasounds will show a human baby at 10 weeks.

I agree about Libs often mischaracterize what is motivating conservatives on issues. I also agree that pro life folks simply object to abortion on moral grounds.

But I disagree that conservatives are better at discerning what motivates liberals. Example: the libs’ desire for policies that curb climate change is not, contrary to what conservatives say, about protecting the 100K+/- annual salaries of grant funded climate scientists or a desire to deprive bubba of his big V8 pickup just for the sake of it. Instead, libs think the climate is changing in a negative manner due to the burning of fossil fuels, no more no less.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 5,656 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #18

This thread isn't complete without some Islamic Terrorists in Alabama.

FBI Uncovers Terror Training Camp in Alabama

https://www.theepochtimes.com/fbi-uncovers-terror-training-camp-in-alabama_2920612.html

@sherb said:

From what I understand embryos in fertility centers are exempt.

@sherb said:

Is it a baby or a fetus?

Do you really think that rich conservatives are not going to find ways to get an abortion?

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #21

Do you really think that rich conservatives are not going to find ways to get an abortion?

That's different. :)

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
    edited May 2019 #22

@sherb said:
    Liberals are really bad a discerning actual conservative positions on issues. The social science bears this out too. Conservatives are much more attuned to liberals than vice versa.

F*** you, H I t l e r!
    ;)

All kidding aside, this is really is a great subject for deliberation.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

at ten weeks its a living thing. (Yes, it has a beating heart, so does a frog.) Is it so developed that its a human with all the rights of a human? And the mother has lost all her rights to control her body? Did not RvW put the womans total privacy rights at 12 weeks? Not a big diference there.

A woman who aborts a ****'s baby will get more time than the ****. I remember chafing at the notion of **** culture. Now I think they may have a point.

edited May 2019 #26

I can't use the quote function now. Awesome.

So I will just say that ALL of you are wrong :)

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    I can't use the quote function now. Awesome.
    So I will just say that ALL of you are wrong :)

Not me. The rich always will find a way to get what they want. So will anyone else with the means to travel across state lines; possibly to other countries in the future.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 5,656 Senior Member

What did ya'll expect to happen in the bible belt after people watched the footage of lawmakers celebrating the passage of late term abortions like their team had won a super bowl?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement