Home The Lodge

Grills

bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

I think we talked about this recently with our cripple friend wanting a smoker, or something.

I have had charcoal grills and smokers all my life. My dad used charcoal. His dad used charcoal. Only time I used a gas grill was a couple times at rentals and similar

Long story made short, this past winter, a really nice, barely used gas grill was left at my place and then given to me as it’s former owner who was in the process of moving no longer had use for it at the new house.

I haven’t used my charcoal grill or the smoker yet this year. Que convenient, only slightly less tasty end results. I feel like a lazy

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

The term we prefer is 'handicapable.' Jerkface.

A nice gas grill is awesome. I still have a Weber Smokey Joe that I take camping. Perfect for two steaks or a couple of burgers but for general home use I've been a gas grill guy for years.

Also, the more I look at smokers, the more confused I get. The wood-fired offset type sure is affordable so I may go with that.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,002 Senior Member

I have all three and use the smoker the most, the gas the second and hardly ever use the charcoal, it's just too much work.
    I'm finding that veggies on the smoker are outstanding.

Gart, smoked vegetables? Or just grilling using a smoker?

I grill veggies all summer. Gotta buy our zucchini and eggplant starts this weekend, weather permitting.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #5

I used to grill the veggies on the gas grill, but used the Traeger once and I'm now hooked. Just set the temp to 375 and throw on the veggies in a wire basket with some olive oil on them. Toss them every couple minutes. Same as doing them on the gas grill, but with a little extra flavor from the smoke.

Edited to add that Romaine lettuce on the smoker is the best **** ever if you're on a diet. I mean if you have to eat lettuce, this is the only way.

Awesome. Had a chatted romaine salad back in Pittsburgh last year. I was skeptical but it was truly awesome. Gotta try that for myself this season.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member

Gas grill here. I think of going back to charcoal a lot.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member

Gas for me, but I use my brother in law's traeger a ton and I think I'm going to get one. great way to cook.

I also have an electric charcoal rotisserie, which can be fun but is a s h i tload of work.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

I know some people have built fire pit Q's

Joe will like this---city folk may not get to do this

Some sort of stone or brick structure ---grate on top

Hardwood fire---burn down to coals and a thick steak---heard Maple does well

It's kinda where it all started

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 5,656 Senior Member

Stay away from the master built smoker with electronic controls. Giant POS

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member

I am only allowed gas in my apt.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,101 Senior Member

i've got a 4 burner weber gas grill and love it, it cooks even (hot spots on cheap grills suck) and is just well built.......you do really have to light at least 3 burners to get it good and hot, which is a downside, but.........i have a basic masterbuilt propane smoker, and again, it's solid and simple and gets the job done well........propane for a smoker drives purists wild, but it's just so easy to maintain temp control and smoke output, it's Lazy Q but I can't argue with the results......

for those of you that dabble, www.smokingmeatforums.com is a great resource

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member

With a three or four (sear) burner Weber you can do a really good job of smoking meat. Using the techniques I found on amazingribs.com I do pork and beef ribs and pulled pork as good as friends and relatives achieve on offset charcoal and Bradley smokers.

BTW, slow smoked pulled lamb shoulder is one of the best things you will ever eat. I think it's a western Kentucky specialty.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,816 Senior Member

Wow that seems awfully difficult. I don’t think I could keep my gas in until being home.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member

Well one has to be polite.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement