Took a fishing Vac for a couple of days last week

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 4,093 Senior Member

Spent a few days fishing the lake after getting the Bass bug a few weeks ago. Had a blast with casting gear and caught fish consistently both weekdays on a lake that has skunked me on the fly for two years.

Then the weekend came and it was time to check on the Striper bite. I only fish for these guys on the fly. These are the babies of the year. We didn’t get the larger fish we normally do this time of year which was weird. Big is usually 30 to 40 pounds. It didn’t help that there was a strong and cold north wind both days.

My crazy stoner buddy with some green eggs. I was planning a fish fry for Sunday so we kept 3 of the 10 pounders. They are amazing table fare and very plentiful.

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member

Nice Mike

When you were bassin---what was the water temp and how deep were they?

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,093 Senior Member

Thanks.
    This is a highland reservoir so that is why it was tough to get the hang of it. I was used to structure fishing things like wood and grass. The temps were 67 and the depths were all over the place. I switched tactics as I moved from one situation to another. Swim baits fished parallel to the rock ledges. Football jigs around the breaks in the ledges and chunk rocks. Crankbaits around the pea gravel banks. And a rattle trap in the mud lines created where wind was blowing parallel to a gravel/mud bank taking stained water across a main lake point. That was very deadly.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Nice. I used to do near an equal amount of bass fishing with gear in these highland reservoirs as I did trout fishing when I lived in the east. It’s pretty dang fun figuring out the lake and the fish.

@bmmike said:
    Nice. I used to do near an equal amount of bass fishing with gear in these highland reservoirs as I did trout fishing when I lived in the east. It’s pretty dang fun figuring out the lake and the fish.

I never thought I'd get back into Bass fishing with gear but here I am buying new reels and can't wait to go back. BTW those Lews baitcasters are crazy smooth. I was used to the old Ambassador 5000's. Reels have come a long way since I quit.
    I find that I can get pretty excited for just about any kind of fishing. Hell I can't wait for the big Bluegills and Shellcrackers to spawn soon. Crickets and floats. It's all good!

I bought some new jerkbaits and re lined my old spinning rod recently to use on the Jellystone. Most of the truly big browns from the river have come on either jerkbaits or live bait.

Streamer fishing is really popular for the brown trout. I thinks it’s pretty popular now in general. These guys are out there hucking 6” flies in 9weights all the time. I went thru a ‘streamer phase’ for a while but I don’t enjoy it all that much these days. I’d rather just twitch jerkbaits — it’s a lot more enjoyable, relaxing and takes so much less effort.

I haven't gone that far yet. I agree though, the streamer thing has caught on and everybody's doing it here too. It's become tough, really tough, to get a nice Brown on a fly. Add drunktards and land whales on commercial rental Kayaks and it's just not that much fun anymore. Nymphing for little gems, Striper, and Musky, are about all I target in my home waters with a fly. And somebody is trying their hardest to turn our local musky fishery into a big time tournament draw. 10 years ago most people had no idea there were Musky in TN. Now, not so much. I hate the way money and the desire to become "known" in the industry has led to the demise of so many good fisheries.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,556 Senior Member

Every time I read "fishing Vac" I think of Driftless.

@MikeA said:

@bmmike said:

I never thought I'd get back into Bass fishing with gear but here I am buying new reels and can't wait to go back. BTW those Lews baitcasters are crazy smooth. I was used to the old Ambassador 5000's. Reels have come a long way since I quit.
    I find that I can get pretty excited for just about any kind of fishing. Hell I can't wait for the big Bluegills and Shellcrackers to spawn soon. Crickets and floats. It's all good!

Mike: If your comfortable with chucking a baitcaster fine---but I've all but retired mine and have put braid on some spinning gear
    Tougher reels and stiff rods make this all do-able--and I like the longer casts
    I also run a fluorocarbon leader for stealth
    course bein the tackle **** I is ---I've got mono reels as well for other species

@bmmike said:
    I bought some new jerkbaits and re lined my old spinning rod recently to use on the Jellystone. Most of the truly big browns from the river have come on either jerkbaits or live bait.
    Streamer fishing is really popular for the brown trout. I thinks it’s pretty popular now in general. These guys are out there hucking 6” flies in 9weights all the time. I went thru a ‘streamer phase’ for a while but I don’t enjoy it all that much these days. I’d rather just twitch jerkbaits — it’s a lot more enjoyable, relaxing and takes so much less effort.

I met a Newfie on a river about 35 years ago who taught me a lesson
    I watched him smokin coho salmon with great regularity
    as we were the only 2 guys on the river that day--we got talkin---he showed me what he was doin

Of all things---he was throwin a perch coloured "Countdown Rapala"

Well next time---I had them for sure----blue worked well also
    Had to upgrade the factory hooks tho

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,017 Senior Member

@bmmike said:
    — it’s a lot more enjoyable, relaxing and takes so much less effort.

You know what else takes a lot less effort? A freakin' tractor.

Just sayin' ;)

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,242 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:

@bmmike said:
    — it’s a lot more enjoyable, relaxing and takes so much less effort.

You know what else takes a lot less effort? A freakin' tractor.

Just sayin' ;)

Dynamite.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

I hear ya. I have manual hedge trimmers, a manual tiller and a manual lawn edger. Sometimes you have to stick to your principles.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,242 Senior Member

Luddites.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

My new Dr in the town where I moved is "The Man" on the lake here. He's been a huge help in showing me how to fish this deep clear lake effectively. Going to switch to flies soon...

Y'all got some funny looking trout out that way. ;)

Those are some nice bass, man.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.