What a disaster

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,809 Senior Member
edited April 9 in The Lodge #1

So, Trump is dissatisfied that his DHS chief wasn't breaking the law, so he fired her. Awesome.

The problem is the asylum laws. Its absolute lunacy to allow people to show up, declare asylum, and then release them into the interior of the country to await a hearing that never comes. No wonder so many are coming. I would too.

We need legal immigration. A lot of it. But this current spate of asylum seekers threatens the entire system with collapse.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member

Trump wants the family separation policy reinstated, because he feels that's the only way to disincentivize asylum seekers. He may be right about that. But asking subordinates to violate clearly established law is putting them on the hook legally and making them personally liable. They can't do it.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    edited April 9 #3

They could fix this in a month if they worked together on a solution like a government is supposed to do. But that won't happen. Just think about it. Trump can't fulfill a campaign promise of keeping our southern border secure. . So what if it's bad for the country. A wins a win.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,708 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Trump wants the family separation policy reinstated, because he feels that's the only way to disincentivize asylum seekers. He may be right about that. But asking subordinates to violate clearly established law is putting them on the hook legally and making them personally liable. They can't do it.

And if the subs obeyed??
    leads to...which law does he wish them to ignore in the future??

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,708 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    They could fix this in a month if they worked together on a solution like a government is supposed to do. But that won't happen. Just think about it. Trump can't fulfill a campaign promise of keeping our southern border secure. . So what if it's bad for the country. A wins a win.

Fixed in a month??

ACME instawall??---and does the wall promise stop the migration??

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member

The wall won't do anything with regard to the asylum issue.

Not talking about the wall. I’m not sure the wall will prevent much of anything. What I think they could do is change the asylum laws. Stop with the sanctuary city BS that is incentivizing illegal crossings. Finally, work on expanding our immigration system to allow more people from the southern border in. We have a demand for the labor, but keeping them in the shadows and paying them under the table is wrong and both parties should be ready to make this right once and for all.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,200 Senior Member
    edited April 9 #8

The asylum laws are an utter joke and complete B-S. Yet there is no significant movement/push in Congress to do a dang thing about it. This should really be a no brainer for both sides. How anyone can justify the current s-hit show is beyond me.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,873 Senior Member

No one in the GOP seems to remember that the Dems offered Trump $5 billion for border security, including a lot of wall, in exchange for regularizing the "Dreamers". The President agreed, and then a few days later changed his mind for no other reason than Fox News criticism.

Does anyone in Congress of either party think that this President can agree to a bipartisan deal and not back out the minute Ann Coulter hits the airwaves?

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 985 Senior Member
    edited April 10 #10

@sherb said:
    So, Trump is dissatisfied that his DHS chief wasn't breaking the law, so he fired her. Awesome.

The problem is the asylum laws. Its absolute lunacy to allow people to show up, declare asylum, and then release them into the interior of the country to await a hearing that never comes. No wonder so many are coming. I would too.

We need legal immigration. A lot of it. But this current spate of asylum seekers threatens the entire system with collapse.

Agreed. Total s h I t show all the way around. The law needs to be changed. Until then, it has to be followed.

Trump has valid arguments, but he doesn’t seem capable of making them. He was on the evening news tonight talking about how people are illegally entering the country so they can go to Disneyland. W T F is he talking about? He needs to speak like a serious adult. You know, like the President of the United States of America.

Even Bernie says we can’t have open borders.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/08/bernie-sanders-open-borders-1261392

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,200 Senior Member

@Green Mt Boy said:

Agreed. Total s h I t show all the way around. The law needs to be changed. Until then, it has to be followed.

But yet neither the House nor Senate is doing squat about it, as far as I can tell.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,873 Senior Member
    edited April 10 #12

Truly, no one wants open borders. But on immigration as on so many other policy matters Trump does not know w t f he is talking about.

Far from being full, most of the United States is losing working-age population. In other words, we need more immigration. Yes, the mess at the southern border is horrendous, but a wall and restricting legal immigration as the President wants to do is not the answer.

Here's a sobering chart and article. Click the link for the chart and full article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/upshot/trump-america-full-or-emptying.html?fallback=0&recId=1JenijxmuQAebcbX82O6aYTYlRi&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=PA&recAlloc=top_conversion&geoCountry=US&blockId=most-popular&imp_id=153801837

EXCERPT ...The Congressional Budget Office foresees the American labor force rising by only 0.5 percent a year over the coming decade, about one-third as fast as from 1950 to 2007. That is a crucial reason that economic growth is forecast to remain well below its late 20th-century levels.

And that, in turn, is reflected in the national fiscal outlook. There are now 2.8 workers for every recipient of Social Security benefits, a rate on track to fall to 2.2 by 2035, according to the program’s trustees. Many state pension plans face even greater demography-induced strains.

In smaller cities and rural areas, demographic decline is a fundamental fact of life. A recent study by the Economic Innovation Group found that 80 percent of American counties, with a combined population of 149 million, saw a decline in their number of prime working-age adults from 2007 to 2017.

Population growth in the United States has now hit its lowest level since 1937, partly because of a record-low fertility rate — the number of children born per woman. The United States increasingly has population growth rates similar to slow-growing Japan and Western Europe, with immigration partly offsetting that shift...

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 311 Senior Member

"There are now 2.8 workers for every recipient of Social Security benefits, a rate on track to fall to 2.2 by 2035, according to the program’s trustees. Many state pension plans face even greater demography-induced strains."
    I've always thought that lax immigration enforcement over past decades has been spurred by concern for future SS funding stability. Immigrants tend to have larger families meaning more workers to pay future FICA.
    Not that they would ever tell the public what they were doing.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,725 Senior Member

And don't think that secretly the conservatives and business community don't love the cheap labor either.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,805 Senior Member

Like you’ve said previously, they don’t want to fix it. Especially Trump. If brown people weren’t streaming across the border in record numbers, how would he stoke fear?

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member

@Green Mt Boy said:
    Trump has valid arguments, but he doesn’t seem capable of making them. He was on the evening >news tonight talking about how people are illegally entering the country so they can go to >Disneyland. W T F is he talking about? He needs to speak like a serious adult. You know, like the >President of the United States of America.

I think he was referring to the U.S. as a whole being Disneyland to immigrants. Not the actual Disneyland.

@NZ Indicator said:

@Green Mt Boy said:
    Trump has valid arguments, but he doesn’t seem capable of making them. He was on the evening >news tonight talking about how people are illegally entering the country so they can go to >Disneyland. W T F is he talking about? He needs to speak like a serious adult. You know, like the >President of the United States of America.

I think he was referring to the U.S. as a whole being Disneyland to immigrants. Not the actual Disneyland.

And?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,506 Senior Member

Just found out yesterday that Weld county (which has one of the highest population of brown people in the state) has the highest insurance prices in the state.
    Auto due to the highest rate of car theft and uninsured motorists and hit and runs (cars with stolen plates). Home is higher due to burglary.
    So just one more way they are costing the good people of this country money.
    BUILD THE WALL!!!

so your contention is that brown people are inherently thieves?

Facts are in the numbers dude!!! State Farm agrees with that.

No that's not racist at all.

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@Green Mt Boy said:

And?

Relatively speaking...It is Disneyland.

edited April 11 #23

@CO Native said:
    Just found out yesterday that Weld county (which has one of the highest population of brown people in the state) has the highest insurance prices in the state.
    Auto due to the highest rate of car theft and uninsured motorists and hit and runs (cars with stolen plates). Home is higher due to burglary.
    So just one more way they are costing the good people of this country money.
    BUILD THE WALL!!!

A number of years back a good friend of mine was T-boned in Texas by a drunk unlicensed illegal immigrant driving a car. Guy did a hit a run and my friends back is now f-u-cked up for life.

@fishingcomic said:
    No that's not racist at all.

Say what you will, numbers do not lie!!!
    If you think I'm feeding you BS, check out Pueblo. Highest in the state in both categories.

Just stating facts.

So it is just what those brown people do then.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,271 Senior Member

I love the brown people. Good workers and they have hot women.

edited April 12 #27

This...

NY Speaker Carl Heastie and Higher Education Committee Chair Deborah Glick announced $27 million of the state’s budget would support the Jose Peralta New York State DREAM Act. The act enables undocumented immigrant students to be eligible for general and performance-based awards and the New York State Tuition Assistance Program.
    "With this budget, DREAMers in New York will finally be able to step out of the shadows and use higher education to live their American Dream," Assemblymember Carmen De La Rosa said in a release. "By including the Jose Peralta New York State DREAM Act in the budget, we are sending a clear message to our immigrant population that we value their contributions to our state, and we are committed to helping them succeed."

A New York state bill to provide free college tuition to Gold Star families was blocked in a committee, a move the bill’s sponsor said sent the wrong message about the state’s priorities. Ya think?

I actually know a dreamer that is a Mensa Member, but I guess we should deport him, right?

I think taking a father, or a mother, away from a family forever, far outweighs the IQ of an illegal alien when determining whether to give advantage to one or the other.

edited April 12 #30

So we shouldn't deport his parents?

According to Co Native all those brown people are criminals so why are we worried that they may go to college?

@fishingcomic said:
    So we shouldn't deport his parents?

According to Co Native all those brown people are criminals so why are we worried that they may go to college?

Not all, just the majority according to facts. Dude, you can't argue with the numbers. If they were allowed to collect the data, you'd find that the majority of them with stolen cars, stolen plates and committing hit and runs, are illegal. But the ACLU won't let that happen because then you liberals wouldn't be able to call everyone with common sense "racist".

So we have to live with a ton of them raising our insurance while 1 goes to college. Dude, you'd suck in Vegas playing those odds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.