Did you know

2»

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,306 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    That word always reminds me of a very funny story Comic told me while fishing two years ago.
    Probably a bit too colorful for discussion here and it would be difficult to tell in narrative form.
    And yes. Buffy, the word c o o n is racist sounding.
    Our bitd and wildlife biologist for the airfield portion of the AF base used to talk about trapping and/or killing the c o o n s on the airfield. And not in a racist way, just his word for racoon. I really like this guy so me and a co-worker asked him to stop referring to racoons by that term. We have an open work center with all manner of officers and NCO’s walking through a lot and it just sounded soooo bad. “I had to shoot two c o o n s out on the north end of taxiway B” is not something you want a passerby to hear without knowledge or context.

I get that it was a derogatory term, a lesser used one, but still. I'm never gonna tell someone we're going racoon hunting though.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,521 Senior Member

So PC, the next thing you know, we won't be able to say "we're just shooting cans" .

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,994 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:

Our bitd and wildlife biologist for the airfield portion of the AF base used to talk about trapping and/or killing the c o o n s on the airfield.

I wonder how many bases employee biologists. When I graduated I applied for an entry level biologist job on one the Army forts.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member

I caught one in a live trap this morning. Cute little fellows. And they have always seemed like they could be domesticated easily. Then you poke them with something and you learn otherwise. Lol. He lives much closer to town now.

One time I was fishing with the girls for bluegill. We were on a bed of them and wearing them out when a Raccoon walked out onto a rock near where we were casting. Every time we reeled one in, he would stand up on his hind quarters and wave at us. We started throwing them towards him and he would go after them, unsuccessfully. Finally I threw him a dead one and he took it to the woods. A few min later he was back begging again.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,306 Senior Member
    edited March 1 #36

An old boar c.oon will **** you up. They'll drown a dog in the river by climbing on its head.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member

Souped up wildcat.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 525 Senior Member

We used to ‘domesticate’ raccoons pretty easily. By we I mean not me as I wasn’t allowed, but friends. And they were still doing it when I left MD — the last my friend Steve had was a real sweetheart. They have to be taken pretty young, common scenario was mom run over and babies still hanging around. They become dog tame, let them out at night and they are back in the morning. Super friendly.

Then maturity kicks in with breeding hormones. Not so friendly then, don’t let them back in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.