Did you know

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 23,933 Senior Member

There are possums and opossums and they are very different?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,430 Senior Member

I can go home now.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,909 Senior Member

I was today years old when I learned this.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,924 Senior Member

I learned this many years ago from my dear, dear friend and confidant, Dame Edna Everage, whose signature line is "Hello Possums".

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,026 Senior Member

I've never heard of anyone tying flies with opossum, you'd have to be pretty desperate to touch one of the nasty things. Sorry to bring fishing up in this place, but it happens from time to time

Jim

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,861 Senior Member
    edited February 26 #6

You serious, Comic?

I didn't even know that opossums were marsupials. How'd they get here?

Did Australia break off from South America?

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,653 Senior Member

Why is it that I, the guy from the South, who went to all public schools knew this, and you Yankees other than George, didn't?

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,999 Senior Member
    edited February 27 #10

Fun fact. Opossums can get rabies, but rarely do. Probably due to a relatively low body temp.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    edited February 27 #12

The opossum male has a bifurcated ****.

Really? I used the technical term. Okay, a bifurcated lawyer.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,933 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    You serious, Comic?

I truly did not know this.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Steven said:

That I knew. The only North American marsupial.

I feel like the Nature Channel has betrayed me.

Yeah, had no idea about that. I feel this should have been covered somewhere at some point.

@breamfisher said:
    Why is it that I, the guy from the South, who went to all public schools knew this, and you Yankees other than George, didn't?

Hey, I went to all public schools.

I think we're roughly the same age, too. But I remember learning in elementary school science class about marsupials and that Opossums were the only native marsupial in North America. I think in high school we learned about Possums. College I learned about their unique appendage.

Georgia schools teach how to fix Opossum.

@breamfisher said:

Oppossums are not part of our diet?

@fishingcomic said:

Chris wins the Lodge

@fishingcomic said:

@breamfisher said:

I'm actually disappointed that it took this long for someone to ask this question.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,927 Senior Member

Christmas dinner menu from the famous Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville 1879.

https://activerain.com/blogsview/315846/christmas-dinner---1879

Quite the feast!

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 330 Senior Member
    edited February 28 #24

@Steven said:

finally, a Question I can answer! Yes, South America and Australia were joined as part of Pangea, And a number of Marsupials established in S.A. These included Opossums. But when the Panamanian land bridge formed, about 3 million years ago, a major migration of life affected both continents, an event called the Great American Interchange. Cougars, lamas, and other placental mammals moved south, and some S.A. marsupials migrated north, but many went extinct.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_Interchange

@MikeA said:

They left off armadillo.

Armadillo: Possum on the Half Shell

@FishTX said:
    Armadillo: Possum on the Half Shell

Genius

@creekyguy said:

@Steven said:

finally, a Question I can answer! Yes, South America and Australia were joined as part of Pangea, And a number of Marsupials established in S.A. These included Opossums. But when the Panamanian land bridge formed, about 3 million years ago, a major migration of life affected both continents, an event called the Great American Interchange. Cougars, lamas, and other placental mammals moved south, and some S.A. marsupials migrated north, but many went extinct.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_Interchange

Huh. Great. Thanks.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,319 Senior Member

I got flamed on Reddit once for talking about **** hunting. They said it's raccoon, **** is racist.

I had to hurry to my uncle's house to tell him he didn't have **** dogs, those were raccoon dogs.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,319 Senior Member

Oh for **** sake. Co.on is on the list?

That word always reminds me of a very funny story Comic told me while fishing two years ago.

Probably a bit too colorful for discussion here and it would be difficult to tell in narrative form.

And yes. Buffy, the word c o o n is racist sounding.

Our bitd and wildlife biologist for the airfield portion of the AF base used to talk about trapping and/or killing the c o o n s on the airfield. And not in a racist way, just his word for racoon. I really like this guy so me and a co-worker asked him to stop referring to racoons by that term. We have an open work center with all manner of officers and NCO’s walking through a lot and it just sounded soooo bad. “I had to shoot two c o o n s out on the north end of taxiway B” is not something you want a passerby to hear without knowledge or context.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.