Question for Steven

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 6,860 Senior Member

Hola Amigo,

My mother in law passed away unexpectedly this weekend. I need a suit for funeral services, viewing (if they have one), etc.

im looking for something that isn’t too trendy as I will probably wear this thing for the funeral and if the next person in my family kicks the bucket, whenever that may be. So, if I want something classic that won’t make me look like a dork if I don’t use it again for 5 years.

Also, any advice on shoe color/style?

im going to hobble down to Men’s Watehouse tomorrow and would appreciate any general advice you may pass along.

Min 6’ even, 295 lbs and could use to lose 10 pounds of beer gut if that factors into the equation

Thank you.

P.S. Sherb, we all know you mean well but I’m good, brah.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    edited February 25 #2
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,922 Senior Member
    edited February 25 #3

A non-shiny conservatively cut black wool suit will serve you well for weddings, funerals and any other non-formal attire function, and will not go out of style.

Shoes - Black or cordovan wing tips. Again, timeless and suitable for all occasions.

If you only want to wear it a few times a year also check out Joseph Banks and - don't laugh - JCPenney's high end all wool suit separates. Quality is about the same as Men's Wearhouse.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

I do MEAN well, you know.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,860 Senior Member
    edited February 26 #5

Thanks, George. That is a good start.
    Solid black, or is would some kid of low key pinstriping be ok? What about a navy or dark grey?

We don't have a Joseph Banks in Ogden so Penny's or Men's Warehouse it is. Looks like MW has a $299 suit sale.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,639 Senior Member

Lately i've noticed quite a few Republicans or their operatives wearing pinstripes.

Roger Stone for example.

^^^I think that young lad Kushner will really be able to pull off that look.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,217 Senior Member

Brown jackets and blue shirts are super popular with the ladies.

Or so I’ve heard.

Youll get more mileage out of black pants and coat than grey any day

And dear god.

No fake shoulder pads!!!

Even a very dark grey? What about navy blue? I'm not trying to be obstinate, but isn't black a bit boring?

What about styles or cuts? George said conservatively cut but I'm not sure what exactly that means other than possibly no pleats or cuffs in the slacks. Single breasted too, right? What color dress shirt? White, I'm assuming? Can I borrow some collar stays from Sherb?

If you want to dress like a Subaru driving, yuppie Patagoniac, I'm your man for consulting purposes but I've gotta say I'm lost on this.

Truly I’m way overdue for a new suit. So I’m a poor judge. There’s zero wrong w a dark grey, navy, brown or black. I think George’s point is you’ll get more use out of a black one. That’s in the sense it’s ok for all occasions. Sometimes maybe you’ll feel to overcdressed in it. But you’ll never be under dressed for any ocassion.

Talk to salesman. That’s their job. Tell them what you need. But make sure they listen. You are paying for their service. They are experts.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,917 Senior Member

Wow your mother in law passed away? I am so sorry. Give my best to your missus. Praying for your family.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Shawn C. said:
    Even a very dark grey? What about navy blue? I'm not trying to be obstinate, but isn't black a bit boring?

What about styles or cuts? George said conservatively cut but I'm not sure what exactly that means other than possibly no pleats or cuffs in the slacks. Single breasted too, right? What color dress shirt? White, I'm assuming? Can I borrow some collar stays from Sherb?

If you want to dress like a Subaru driving, yuppie Patagoniac, I'm your man for consulting purposes but I've gotta say I'm lost on this.

The problem with black is it always makes me think of funerals.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Do you have a Mr Mac?

I wouldn't pizz on a Mr. Mac if it was on fire. I don't want to buy a suit from a place where they also sell LDS name tags and bike helmets.

I will pass your condolences to the Mrs. Thank you.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,425 Senior Member
    edited February 26 #16

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL, Shawn. May her memory be for a blessing.

Black or a Dark Navy. Go with very fine pinstripes in the black. You can go with or without in the navy. I like dark gray with pinstripes, but your call if it's appropriate for a funeral.

You're 1.5" taller and 95 lbs bigger than I am, so I don't know what to tell you about cut. But yeah, single breasted, not double.

Cuffless on the pants. I go with no pleats, but a single pleat may work better for you given your size.

Wingtips or cap toes in brown or black - socks and belt match shoes.

I think since we're talking about a funeral, a white shirt (not a button down, remember your collar stays!) with dark tie.

Edit to add: I've been thinking, and I think with cut, the question is whether you can pull off slim lapels with the side of the jacket tapering. That's not going to work, I don't think.

Think about classic 3 1/8" lapel with. I like a single back vent, rather than one on each side.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,927 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    I'm sorry to hear about your MIL, Shawn. May her memory be for a blessing.

Black or a Dark Navy. Go with very fine pinstripes in the black. You can go with or without in the navy. I like dark gray with pinstripes, but your call if it's appropriate for a funeral.

You're 1.5" taller and 95 lbs bigger than I am, so I don't know what to tell you about cut. But yeah, single breasted, not double.

Cuffless on the pants. I go with no pleats, but a single pleat may work better for you given your size.

Wingtips or cap toes in brown or black - socks and belt match shoes.

I think since we're talking about a funeral, a white shirt (not a button down, remember your collar stays!) with dark tie.

I didn't realize that button down collar was considered casual till a little while ago. I always thought it was the opposite. Turns out the button down was invented for polo players to keep the collars from coming up when they were playing. Who knew.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,922 Senior Member

I mostly agree with Steven, and since it's been two decades (wow, tempus fugit indeed!) since I've worn a suit daily I'll defer to his judgement on the cuffs. You may find it difficult to find a decent quality black or navy pin stripe in the price range you're in.

Where we differ, is that if I'm going to wear a suit to a funeral it will be black, and I would only wear black or cordovan shoes, not brown with a black or navy suit. Tan with gray is a good combination. By conservatively cut I mean single breasted, center vent and with lapels that are neither very wide or very narrow.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

I am pretty sure he meant 195, there is no way he is just shy of 300 lbs.

I would go with a more traditional length on the jacket as well. But that is because I don't like these short jackets and it is a trend that could look dated soon.

@fishingcomic said:
    I would go with a more traditional length on the jacket as well. But that is because I don't like these short jackets and it is a trend that could look dated soon.

So would I. I love those short jackets but you gotta have the physique for them, and a traditional length jacket will never go out of style.

Also, yeah, I noticed that 295 LB thing and was a bit taken aback. :)

Well, if it's 195lbs, this may help a bit for look. I like the Regent (and yeah, I wait for the sales).

http://2ndrodeo.com/brooks-brothers-suit-sport-coat-fit-guide

@George K said:
    I would only wear black or cordovan shoes

I meant cordovan. Just couldn't think of the word.

Yeah. 195.

Thanks guys! Headed out now.

So....how'd it go?

Good. Expensive but good.

Got two suits, the second one was $150 with the purchase of the first so why not? Bought one off the rack, very dark navy solid. Going to wear a lavender shirt and a purple & navy tie, brown shoes/belt. I even got a pocket square. I’ll show these Utah schlubs how to dress! ;)

Second one is custom and I got to pick everything. Dark grey with a subtle window-pane pattern. Should be done in about three weeks.

I've never worn a pocket square.

I'm Ok with the lavender (I'm assuming it's light), but to a funeral? It's the MIL, so if your wife is OK...

Dress Yiddish, think British.

wait. . . strike that. You know what, don't listen to me.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 530 Senior Member
    edited February 26 #29

You should have just bought a grey Tweed sports coat.

Grey Harris Tweed for winter. (Brown pants and shoes or blue jeans and brown shoes)

White linen sports coat for summer.

This is how I roll. I sometimes feel like a Columbian drug lord when I wear the linen. You can call me Miguel.

Yeah. She picked the shirt over some other patterned light blues and whites. It’s a very light lavender.

In talking to my parents back east, it’s ok now to not go crazy with the all black or black and white look for funerals.

The shirt is understated but colorful.

@bmmike said:
    You should have just bought a grey Tweed sports coat.
    Grey Harris Tweed for winter. (Brown pants and shoes or blue jeans and brown shoes)
    White linen sports coat for summer.

This is how I roll. I sometimes feel like a Columbian drug lord when I wear the linen. You can call me Miguel.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030355/uploads/782/9DGT268R12Y9.png

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030355/uploads/786/L7UW1ER5YJA6.png

I'm gonna find a way to use this picture for evil.

Nice sunglasses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.