Home The Lodge

Making Women Register for the Draft

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,076 Senior Member

A federal Judge in TX recently ruled it is unconstitutional to require only men to register for any potential conscription program. He reasoned that since the various services now allow women to be in combat units they should be subject to the same registration requirement as men. Makes sense to me.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/25/697622930/judge-rules-male-only-draft-violates-constitution

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,185 Senior Member

There are so many woman out there screaming about being equal, so be it babe, here's your rifle.

They simplify the physical test for woman so they can become firefighters, so they should simplify it for woman who get drafted too!!

Gotta be careful what you ask for.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

The point is moot, the wealthy in this country whose children do not serve, will never support a draft. War is for the poor and lower middle class.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,267 Senior Member

That wasn't always true. Ted Kennedy was drafted, as was Elvis. It used to be considered patriotic to be drafted.

Anyway, DOD doesn't want it. I imagine they'll just get rid of it altogether.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

Now it is considered Patriotic to have bone spurs.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,267 Senior Member

By some people.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,492 Senior Member

It won't happen, but I'm in favor of universal service via draft - three years in WPA type projects or as aides in schools, hospitals etc., or two years in the military.

Two years is plenty long enough for the military to train and utilize supply clerks, mess hall workers, drivers and other positions often filled by contractors whose companies rip-off Uncle.

Jobs requiring years of training and commitment should be reserved for those volunteering for a longer term of service.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,492 Senior Member

...on the Howard Stern Show, Trump compared that service and sacrifice with his post-divorces dating capers.

“Dating is like being in Vietnam,” he said in 1993.

The danger of dating, he said in 1997, was the possibility of contracting a sexually transmitted disease. “My own personal Vietnam,” he explained. “I feel like a great and very brave soldier.”...

In a just world he would be staying in the McCain suite of the Hanoi Hilton.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

This passage from the Politico piece caught my eye:

“In any event, while a Princeton-educated lieutenant named Robert Swan Mueller III was leading a platoon of Marines in the thick of searing combat, Trump was back in his father’s office in Brooklyn, collecting rent and planning his move to Manhattan.”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement