If You Like Highly Entertaining Dumb TV

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,922 Senior Member

May I recommend the British series Beowulf on Amazon Prime. Allegedly based on the epic poem, the only thing I found they have in common is that there was this here guy named Hrothgar who was king of Herot.

The rest is made-for-TV fantasy. True, the title character also is hero of the poem, but nothing about his background or role in Herot is the same. Two other characters from the poem appear, Grendel and Breca, but they too have undergone huge, shall we say "transformations". Hint - instead of killing the male monster Grendel, he beds the comely female Grendel, former lover of Hrothgar's son.

Still it is very entertaining, with fantasy beasts killing and maiming before themselves being killed; lots of chopping and hacking with battle axes, broad swords spears, shovels and whatever is at hand and cast of hundreds battle scenes. Oh, and there's a lovely river with migratory fish having the bodies of salmon and heads like piranhas that makes for a couple of interesting scenes.

I might summarize it as an English copy of Vikings with fantasy special effects and a western soap opera plot. Well, Vikings also has a western soap opera plot, but that's another discussion.

Enjoy.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.