Home The Lodge

Memes and other bullcrappery

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,646 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    I've read that hippos are the number one animal killer of tourists in Africa. Everybody thinks there's so cute and mellow laying there in the mud. Next think you know, somebody is being trampled.

HIppos are regarded as dangerous game. They'll come up on land at night to feed (and raid crops) and have been know to trample/charge folks who get between them and the water in the early morning twilight. There's stories of old game guides who would hunt Big Five animals but refused to hunt hippos in the morning. Too much sport.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,908 Senior Member

They do indeed kill and injure more humans than any other animal in Africa.

In game parks you are not allowed out of your vehicle, or are behind some sort of barrier at camps and rest areas. But in everyday life, out in the boonies you can encounter hippos and elephants. I've seen hippos in rivers in South Africa and Zimbabwe, and at a marina full of rental houseboats on lake Kariba. There were signs in several languages warning never to get between a hippo and the water or her calf.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,985 Senior Member

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 895 Senior Member

Is there anybody out there?

one last yoga meme and apologies for a tiny politico twist---just funny that's all

edited July 5 #2624

Bugs Bunny also dressed in drag and kissed men full on the lips.

@breamfisher said:
    Bugs Bunny also dressed in drag and kissed men full on the lips.

Yeah, so?

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 11,280 Senior Member

Live in fear. ;)

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,503 Senior Member
    edited July 8 #2634

George Will
    edited July 8 #2636

Actually I think it was pretty clever that the readouts were in SAE units because that's what the crew was accustomed to.

George Will
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,158 Senior Member

NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday.
    A navigation team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory used the metric system of millimeters and meters in its calculations, while Lockheed Martin Astronautics in Denver, which designed and built the spacecraft, provided crucial acceleration data in the English system of inches, feet and pounds.
    As a result, JPL engineers mistook acceleration readings measured in English units of pound-seconds for a metric measure of force called newton-seconds.
    In a sense, the spacecraft was lost in translation.

A certain Lodge poster may have worked at Lockheed Martin when this happened, but maybe was fishing when this mistake happened....

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 871 Senior Member

Did you get that pistol yet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement