Dem candidates for president

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,342 Senior Member

We need to get this place going.

So far, we have. . .

Kirsten Gillibrand
Surfer Girl AKA Tulsi Gabbard (at 37, she would be the first Millennial president).
Pocahontas
Kamala Harris
The old Bolshie
the young Turk AKA Julian Castro

Who else?

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,165 Senior Member

Just watched the talking show "Experts"

They claim Smokin Joe Biden wins all if he runs

As he is way more centre of left

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,342 Senior Member

Beto
    and yes, Joe from PA.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,051 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #4

Bloomberg runs as a Dem or Indie?
    Cory Booker
    Chris Coo n

Ain't but been one bachelor president. Two, I guess, if you count Grover Cleveland, but he got married once he became president.

But that reminds me: what's the Achilles heel of each candidate?

Surfer girl is too young and has a history of socially conservative positions that won't sell with the left.

Pocahontas. . . lol no

the old Bolshie is really a Bolshie.

Booker is not married. Spartacus!

Joe from PA is a bit long in the tooth.

edited January 16 #6

Bloomberg. . .he's good on the Nanny state stuff like banning soda. Not so good on Stop and Frisk. He's gonna get chewed up in the new Democratic party.

Coo n doesn't have the name recognition and is . . bald.

Beto. . . maybe. Good at generating hype.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,346 Senior Member

Yeah, Surfer Girl had some absolutely deplorable comments/positions regarding homosexuality. She's a P O S.

Castro? He makes Rubio look like a heavyweight.

Warren? Can I start a super-pac to stop her? Ugh...

I like Beto and of course, Joe. He's my man. He can campaign on "A chicken in every pot and a b i t c h i n' '77 Trans Am in every garage."

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,009 Senior Member

Tulsi and Gillibrand are having difficulty with the progressive purity test. Personally I prefer someone that does not pass such a test.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Shawn C. said:
    Yeah, Surfer Girl had some absolutely deplorable comments/positions regarding homosexuality. She's a P O S.

See this is the kind of stupid crap that always gets us in trouble. Yes when she was 21 she was not so nice nice with the gay gays. But her actual voting record is actually quite progressive on the issue.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@fishingcomic said:
    Tulsi and Gillibrand are having difficulty with the progressive purity test. Personally I prefer someone that does not pass such a test.

Here’s a question: do these past positions on issues matter after Trump? Or is he sui generis?

I’d probably vote for Joe from PA. I don’t think he’s gonna get that far, though.

FDR was kind of a jerk before he got polio and discovered empathy. Gillibrand's epiphany came from meeting some of those immigrants. I am okay with someone that believes in gun laws that is not anti-gun.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,553 Senior Member

Joe from PA?

Er, I think you're a swell guy and all that, but er, what did they teach you about research in law school? :)

Joltin' Joe is from DE.

(Now I have to set booby traps around my house in case Buffy stages a raid.)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@fishingcomic said:

@Shawn C. said:

See this is the kind of stupid crap that always gets us in trouble. Yes when she was 21 she was not so nice nice with the gay gays. But her actual voting record is actually quite progressive on the issue.

Its not just saying that "traditional" marriage should be protected. That was politically expedient for everyone until not too long ago regardless of their true stance. She worked for an anti-gay group that promoted conversion therapy and was a true believer. Yeah, she was young, but still...

Anyway, she's a lightweight so no sense debating her pros/cons.

Trans Am 2020!!!

@Shawn C. said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Shawn C. said:

Its not just saying that "traditional" marriage should be protected. That was politically expedient for everyone until not too long ago regardless of their true stance. She worked for an anti-gay group that promoted conversion therapy and was a true believer. Yeah, she was young, but still...

Anyway, she's a lightweight so no sense debating her pros/cons.

Trans Am 2020!!!

Again her legislative record is a far cry from the stupid rhetoric she spewed when she was a child.

I get what you're saying.

Who do you guys think the early frontrunner will be? I say Warren. Name brand and all that.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 866 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    I get what you're saying.

Who do you guys think the early frontrunner will be? I say Warren. Name brand and all that.

I think the old Bolshevik will be the early front runner. Warren’s brand is bland. Bernie has a rabid following who like his curmudgeonly style.

edited January 17 #19

@sherb said:
    Bloomberg. . .he's good on the Nanny state stuff like banning soda. Not so good on Stop and Frisk. He's gonna get chewed up in the new Democratic party.

Coo n doesn't have the name recognition and is . . bald.

Beto. . . maybe. Good at generating hype.

Coo n is working the name recognition really hard. He's non-stop on all the Sunday morning shows.

Bloomberg could buy the entire Democratic Party lock, stock and barrel and his bank account wouldn't even be dented.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,165 Senior Member

@George K said:
    Joe from PA?

Er, I think you're a swell guy and all that, but er, what did they teach you about research in law school? :)

Joltin' Joe is from DE.

Too easy......prop up a box with a stick-----of course with a string to set it off
    strategically place some sweet tea and boiled peanuts within the trap area

Cook until tender :)

@George K said:
    Joe from PA?

Joltin' Joe is from DE.

Joe represented DE. But Joe is originally from Scranton PA. I don't know how you missed this, since Joe never misses an opportunity to point it out. :)

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,349 Senior Member

Dickenlooper from CO is threatening.

@sherb said:

@George K said:
    Joe from PA?

Joltin' Joe is from DE.

Joe represented DE. But Joe is originally from Scranton PA. I don't know how you missed this, since Joe never misses an opportunity to point it out. :)

Like Romney from Michigan? :)

@CO Native said:

We'll have another bald guy (last one was Eisenhower) before a dickenlooper.

Factoid: We have never had a president with a 4-syllable last name.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,349 Senior Member

Dickenlooper from CO is threatening. > @Steven said:

@CO Native said:

Ummm, Eisenhower has 4 syllables. Just sayin'.

@George K said:

@sherb said:

@George K said:
    Joe from PA?

Joltin' Joe is from DE.

Like Romney from Michigan? :)

Romney is the only person with more home states than Hillary.

@CO Native said:
    Dickenlooper from CO is threatening. > @Steven said:

@CO Native said:

Ummm, Eisenhower has 4 syllables. Just sayin'.

Uh. ef me. :)

I need a drink.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,109 Senior Member

Speaking of cankles. When’s she getting in.

@jbilly said:
    Speaking of cankles. When’s she getting in.

Unless Joe from Scranton jumps in she would be the best of the lot so far. But yeah, no...

Beto is currently on some sort of whitebread finding himself walkabout. . .and catching hell for it.

edited January 18 #31

The last poll I saw of Dem primary voters put Warren in1st place (pass the vomit bag, please) followed by Biden and Bernie. She Whose Name Must Not Be Spoken was not in the top ten, thank whatever gods may be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.