Lamar Valley Thread

1235»

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    edited February 28 #122

@Shawn C. said:

JBilly (Jim)? You need to start wearing the pants in the family and this is a fine place to start. ;)

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,593 Senior Member

I hit up Richie. But since his shop is still new, I don't know if he would have the time.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,765 Senior Member

Bump, and...

Anyone know the best 5-weight for YNP?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,722 Senior Member

Gary’s in.

This is MAGA country now 😂

Good news!

Gart,
    Comic and I will be the ones in the Subaru, although I'm guessing you already surmised that. ;)

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member

So to summarize, July 19-21, Pebble creek campground.
    Mike, if I come up Wednesday, can I park the 5th wheel at your place overnight? Then I'll head in Thursday morning early to set up and can reserve whatever sites will be needed.
    Also, set up at your place on Sunday night and leave early morning Monday for home?

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 510 Senior Member

Of course, Gart.

Does your trailer have extra sleeping space? If so, think we can get Melvin to come into the Park?

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member

I'm out for sure. Was discussing this trip with the wife and the daughter reminded me that we have tickets (Xmas present from the kids) to two concerts at Cheyenne Frontier days. Saturday and Sunday nights. Such a bummer after I schmoozed the wife and everything was a go.

Bummer

I’m watching the movie, First Man, and just realized the Lamar Valley trip will coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing.

Cool.

Im a little bit of a space geek, I have to admit, especially when it comes to Mercury/Gemini/Apollo.

Given the continued cold and depth of the snowpack, is the Lamar going to be Class V during the third week of July? I'm starting to get concerned.

No, it will be fine.

Good. I'd hate to see Tungsten Boy be the only one to catch fish.

@Shawn C. said:
    I’m watching the movie, First Man, and just realized the Lamar Valley trip will coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing.
    Cool.
    Im a little bit of a space geek, I have to admit, especially when it comes to Mercury/Gemini/Apollo.

When I was a kid, I followed it all. One of the benefits of being my age is I remember the Moon Landing. Watching space launches and the Mazing Mets, were the only time we had a TV in the classroom.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Shawn C. said:
    Cool.

When I was a kid, Neil Armstrong was a hero. I am glad I saw that much later, than if I was a kid. He really was not that likeable a guy.

Q for Sherb.

Im going to attempt to waive a fly rod around this weekend. I don’t think I’ll be able to cast in a traditional sense so if I’m unable to do so by mid-July, I’ve had a thought.

What would I have to bring to attempt some euro-nymphing? I feel like my arm could flip a weighted nymph rig for a bit each day. I bet if I ply you with moderately priced whiskey I can get a lesson, too.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

Euro-nymphing is tailor-made for those who, for whatever reason, cannot cast.

Just sayin'.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Yeah, it looks very do-able.
    I would actually go fishing to test out my arm but run-off is still totally nuts.

edited June 14 #140

I cant say what you will need to euro nymph, but I can tell you a couple things to leave home:

1. Flies with lead as no lead is allowed in the Park. Tie with tungsten instead.
    2. Your dignity, for you’ll have none.

True. Know somewhere I can trade my dignity for a straight-brimmed ball cap and a tight-fitting flannel shirt?

hashtag BRO-FEST

Edumacation system!

@George K said:
    Euro-nymphing is tailor-made for those who, for whatever reason, cannot cast.

Just sayin'.

Ha!!

The true artist is never appreciated in his own time.

Cut your ear off with a scythe and get back to us in a century.

;)

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    The true artist is never appreciated in his own time.

This is true.

The difficulty lies in separating artists from artistes. ;)

p.s. Although I rag you about it, I do a fair share of nymphing. Mostly large shaggy patterns down and across in high fast water, or small imitative ones in limestone streams or other waters where trout are fussy and not rising, often upstream to feeding fish. The places I fish where I've seen people using the heavily weighted high stick style fish better for me with a sink tip line and soft hackle wets swung down and across.

Different strokes.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@Shawn C. said:
    Q for Sherb.
    Im going to attempt to waive a fly rod around this weekend. I don’t think I’ll be able to cast in a traditional sense so if I’m unable to do so by mid-July, I’ve had a thought.
    What would I have to bring to attempt some euro-nymphing? I feel like my arm could flip a weighted nymph rig for a bit each day. I bet if I ply you with moderately priced whiskey I can get a lesson, too.

I'll bring an extra euro rig for you, if you want to try it. I have four euro rods.

Thanks, Sherb. I'd like to give it a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.