And...here we go...

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,917 Senior Member

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,425 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    If all you got is Pocahontas, it is not going to go well.

That's what we keep telling you guys.

You don't have a cogent argument against her positions on the issues. But have fun with that.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    You don't have a cogent argument against her positions on the issues. But have fun with that.

She does not have policy positions other than social justice, wealth redistribution, free healthcare, free education for all, open borders and kumbaya around the bonfire.

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

She does not have policy positions other than social justice, wealth redistribution, free healthcare, free education for all, open borders and kumbaya around the bonfire.

And the orange one only has, "I am the best person ever with a big brain."

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,086 Senior Member

But we aren't talking about the big orange one.

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

Yes. We all want social justice, free healthcare and free education and plenty of kumbaya. Unfortunately, we have no policy prescriptions from her. I look forward to hearing how this will be implemented once she's on the campaign trail.

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

And SCOTUS, tax cuts, regulation cuts, moving the Israeli embassy.

We'll see if Obamacare has truly been eviscerated.

The Administration is currently floating the idea of Jordan and Israel jointly administering the West Bank (which would officially remain Israeli territory) with Palestinians automatically becoming Jordanian citizens and able to move to Jordan proper. It may not go anywhere, but definitely innovative.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,922 Senior Member

Speaking of Great Leader...

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    edited January 5 #42

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

The Administration is currently floating the idea of Jordan and Israel jointly administering the West Bank (which would officially remain Israeli territory) with Palestinians automatically becoming Jordanian citizens and able to move to Jordan proper. It may not go anywhere, but definitely innovative.

You mean the tax cuts that have lead to a trillion dollar deficit? If it is eviscerated taking healthcare from 30 million people will be a great accomplishment. Yes polluting drinking water will make him the greatest president ever.

And no it will not be innovative it will be what some Israelis have been wanting since 1948. However Palestinians should have a state as was determined by the UN.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,523 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

You mean the tax cuts that have lead to a trillion dollar deficit?

You say this like it was zero when he started. There were many hands in getting it up there.

edited January 6 #44

Obama reduced it by half and Clinton actually posted a surplus. Republicans always screw it up with their trickle down childish nonsense.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,922 Senior Member
    edited January 6 #45

Here's a simple, non-wonkish explanation of why GOP tax policy has no foundation in sound economic theory or research, but is simply a matter of kissing the butts of large campaign donators. That, and a bit of magical thinking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/opinion/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-tax-policy-dance.html

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,016 Senior Member

Sounds like AOC is getting under the GOPers’ skins.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c3154e9e4b0733528336e49/amp

Doesn’t reflect well on the quality of their arguments.

Raising the top marginal rate on very high incomes is probably a good idea. Coupled with low rates on corporations money would be taxed in the hands of individuals, and if they are uber wealthy they can and should pay at higher rates.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,523 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Obama reduced it by half and Clinton actually posted a surplus. Republicans always screw it up with their trickle down childish nonsense.

Please show me the proof of this. If you're talking about the deficit, Obama was the worst:
    https://www.thebalance.com/deficit-by-president-what-budget-deficits-hide-3306151

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Senior Member

@Green Mt Boy said:
    Sounds like AOC is getting under the GOPers’ skins.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c3154e9e4b0733528336e49/amp

Doesn’t reflect well on the quality of their arguments.

Raising the top marginal rate on very high incomes is probably a good idea. Coupled with low rates on corporations money would be taxed in the hands of individuals, and if they are uber wealthy they can and should pay at higher rates.

She might be only 29, but she has great instincts for creating buzz.

My issue with raising the top rate is that doesn’t generate enough revenue. But then, that’s not the reason the left wants it.

AOC has either dramatically shifted the Overton window to the left, or she has correctly read the tea leaves and sensed where the dems are going. Either way, its clear that substantially higher marginal tax rates on the wealthy has a lot of support right now.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/4/18168431/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-70-percent

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

You mean the tax cuts that have lead to a trillion dollar deficit? If it is eviscerated taking healthcare from 30 million people will be a great accomplishment. Yes polluting drinking water will make him the greatest president ever.

And no it will not be innovative it will be what some Israelis have been wanting since 1948. However Palestinians should have a state as was determined by the UN.

You can argue the plusses and minuses all you want. But he has a lot of stuff to run on.

He is such a liberal shill. It's hard to understand how he's not embarrassed when he looks in the mirror. Is he really pretending to not know that the effective tax rate pre-Reagan was much lower than the stated tax rate?

Since 1979, the effective tax rate (that's when all the deductions and loopholes are taken into account) dropped for everybody. It dropped the most for the lowest income quintile and dropped the least for the highest.

edited January 8 #54

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

You can argue the plusses and minuses all you want. But he has a lot of stuff to run on.

Good luck on running on air pollution and kids dying from diseases not to mention a ballooning deficit and ethnic cleansing.

Thanks. I'm hopeful he'll declare victory and choose not to run. Get somebody with somewhat similar policies but without the tweeting.

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

Good luck on running on air pollution and kids dying from diseases not to mention a ballooning deficit and ethnic cleansing.

Ethnic cleansing?

You guys always take it too far. All you have to do is not say something insane to win. . . and you can't do it.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 329 Senior Member

I suppose. But there are_ SO MANY_ minuses.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member

I think there's been a misunderstanding .....and I cannot speak for Comic....but....

Pretty sure by Ethnic Cleansing he was referring to the recently installed beach showers in Cabo

Whew....think we all dodged a bullet here

@creekyguy said:

I suppose. But there are_ SO MANY_ minuses.

I don't disagree.

edited January 8 #60

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Steven said:

@fishingcomic said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

Ethnic cleansing?

You guys always take it too far. All you have to do is not say something insane to win. . . and you can't do it.

What else do you call it when you remove everyone from a certain ethnic group from your territory?
    (which btw is not their territory. The UN decided on a border in 1967 that a portion of which goes to the Palestinians)

edited January 8 #61

Somehow, this doesn't strike me as Rwanda 2.0.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.