I might buy a drift boat.

bmmikebmmike Posts: 507 Senior Member

My friend offered to sell me his boat and trailer for $1k. It’s a 1984 bathtub of some sort with knee breakers for casting braces. Floats tho. Rows ok, I took it out a few times last year.

I don’t feel good about joining the flotillas around here as it will undoubtedly cut into my backcountry time, but it might be fun to float the Jelly from time to time.

Replies

• RedRockFisherRedRockFisher Posts: 17 Junior Member

Do it. call up swaney, kp and fishslime and head down the clark fork.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 507 Senior Member

That’s far!

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

The problem with owning a boat is that you have to fish with people that know how to row, or you'll be doing all the rowing.

I like the lower Yellowstone on a warm summer day. the fishing sucks, but you can swim and frolic and whatnot. Its warm down that far.

Yeah, that’s mainly the motivation — not so much the fishing but just leisure floats in summer. I want a raft in all honesty so can take more people when family comes up and stuff but the boat will work for now.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

So, my first trip down the Yellowstone, Aaron asks me, "so how are you on the sticks?" Now, normally this is bro code for "we have to row some radical currents" or some such. So I was a tad concerned. But the lower Yellowstone is an easy river to row.

For fishing I like the Gardiner airport to just above Yankee Jim.

Yeah I rowed that section above Yamkee Jim a couple times right after runoff last year. We got the salmonflies just right. Had someone else that could row with so no issues. I haven’t fished that section in the summer tho. For the most part, everything below Yankee Jim is an easy row but there are a couple tricky spots (not very).

edited December 2018 #8

That’s where I learned to row actually, the river below Yankee Jim. Friend said try rowing and did, doesn’t take rocket appliances to row a driftboat.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member

I'm the guy that would crash a boat. Not for me.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 966 Senior Member

If the boat is serviceable you can’t go wrong at that price. You’ll be able to cover more water and get at spots you wouldn’t be able to reach if you are just wading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.