Afghanistan troop withdrawal

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,926 Senior Member

This is another good thing if the deep state allows it to happen.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/50807.htm

US Offers to Withdraw Troops From Afghanistan

December 19, 2018 "Information Clearing House" - America is ready to set out a plan to withdraw from Afghanistan in return for a six-month Taliban ceasefire as Washington presses for an end to the 17-year conflict.

This article was originally published by "The Times" -

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 959 Senior Member

It will be a bad thing for the Afghani women who will die from rocks being thrown at them by Taliban lifestyle police while being tied to a post in a public place.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,238 Senior Member

So Ed, you a Trump fan now?

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,752 Senior Member

Like many, he’s probably a supporter of anyone who understands that this is an endless endeavor and the only thing we seem to be gaining is dead Americans and deficit.
    We can’t pull these people out of the stone age. We can’t save them from themselves. There are thousands of countries where women are stoned, beaten, mutilated, and maimed, because of an ideology. You get rid of one extreme group and another pops up. We should have a pretty good understanding of how this works by now…

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,682 Senior Member

Two things can be true at the same time.

1. Trump is an ignorant clownish buffoon who does stupid things.

2. we don't need to be involved in every 3rd world rat hole from now until the end of time.

Listening to MSNBC, you'd think they were all acolytes of Leo Strauss, what with all the warmongering going on.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,799 Senior Member

There's a basic point that seems to be missed here by all - we aren't in Syria or Afghanistan to bring peace, joy and democracy to those benighted places, but because it is in our interest not to have Russia, Iran and ISIS control Syria, (the Middle East is dangerous enough as is), or ISIS and the remnants of Al Queda have free rein in Afghanistan, thus inviting another attack here at home. The alternative to us keeping the lid on in Afghanistan is China doing it, also not in our best interests.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,926 Senior Member

@Buffco said:
    So Ed, you a Trump fan now?

No, I'm a fan of removing our troops from all our illegal occupations and interventions regardless of who does it.

yeah, color me skeptical. You do realize you are literally quoting Dubya's rationale for Iraq?

the war machine in both parties just rolls on and on. Trump is an idiot, and of course will end up **** it all up, but I'm no longer buying the hawk's rationale for endless wars. Let me know when Max Boot and Bill Kristol and the NYT's editors enlist. Until then, **** them.

I'm super cynical right now, so don't take this as my final word, but I am of the opinion that none of these "Foreign policy experts" know anything more about Syria or Yemen or Afghanistan than every millennial pundit knows about elections.

• EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,926 Senior Member

@George K said:
    There's a basic point that seems to be missed here by all - we aren't in Syria or Afghanistan to bring peace, joy and democracy to those benighted places, but because it is in our interest not to have Russia, Iran and ISIS control Syria, (the Middle East is dangerous enough as is), or ISIS and the remnants of Al Queda have free rein in Afghanistan, thus inviting another attack here at home. The alternative to us keeping the lid on in Afghanistan is China doing it, also not in our best interests.

No George, We're in Syria because we tried to overthrow Assad by supporting Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups. Syria is one of the seven M.E. countries the neocons pledged to overthrow. That has turned out to be a complete disaster and it's time to end that insanity. Russia and Iran became involved because they didn't want another U.S. occupied country on their door step.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    yeah, color me skeptical. You do realize you are literally quoting Dubya's rationale for Iraq?

Actually no. W told us Saddam had nukes and was going to use them.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,539 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    I'm super cynical right now, so don't take this as my final word, but I am of the opinion that none of these "Foreign policy experts" know anything more about Syria or Yemen or Afghanistan than every millennial pundit knows about elections.

More than a couple of them did accurately predict the aftermath of removing Saddam. Those guys were called traitors. Why Bill Kristol still has a job anywhere, let alone MSNBC, is something that I cannot even begin to understand.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 297 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

Actually no. W told us Saddam had nukes and was going to use them.

Well, that's what he SAID. For the headlines. But, it was more likely about the world balance of power. Is there a sweet spot between neocon endless war and Trump head-in-the-sand isolationism?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.