Home The Lodge

The Troller in Chief is trolling hard today

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

I am so sick and tired of his antics. The man is totally unfit to be president.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,399 Senior Member

There's a minority view out there that Congress could abrogate Anchor baby citizenship if they wish, but most scholars agree that it would take a constitutional amendment. NO ONE (except the Donald) thinks it can be done by executive fiat.

Oh, who am I kidding? He doesn't believe it either. He's just trolling.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

Yeah, he’s trolling, which is dispositive evidence of his unfitness to be President.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,220 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #6

This...
    It is almost certainly not legal, for reasons I will address here. However, it is smart politics, and it once again shows that, if nothing else, Trump can easily manipulate his ostensible enemies in the media into discussing issues on his terms rather than theirs and can change the subject of national discussion at will.

In other words, ending birthright citizenship via executive order has little or no chance of actually working. If such an action is going to be taken, Congress will have to get on board. And while you are hearing the talking heads describe this action as “racist” all day, remember that a number of Democrats (including former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid) have introduced or cosponsored legislation that would end automatic birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants.

And while Trump’s action has already been characterized by CNN and other outlets as “defying the Constitution,” it really isn’t, or at least insofar as its defiance of the 14th Amendment. It’s more likely that it’s an unconstitutional infringement of authority granted to Congress under Article 1.

But what it will no doubt accomplish will be to get the media to once again engage on an issue that President Trump believes is a strength, rather than on the tragic events of the weekend, which the media believe is damaging to President Trump. If nothing else, that makes it a politically savvy move.
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/10/30/commentary-trump-probably-cant-end-birthright-citizenship-but-he-can-control-the-media

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Ummm... The Blaze? Come on, man, you are so much better than that.

In the face of mounting evidence, I'm still not sure he is politically savvy or that he employs smart politics, as mentioned in your post. I think he just throws so much BS against the wall that some of it is bound to gain traction and produce a new media narrative. An example: He was going to enact a middle class 10% tax cut prior to the midterms even though Congress is not in session. That didn't gain traction, so he threw a whole bunch of other crazy stuff out there.

He really is a an impulsive know-nothing, so maybe he has someone with a mind for strategy on his staff coming up with these things. Either that or Fox and Friends is the new GOP think tank.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

I don't know I saw a guy on CNN defending Trump that was pretty dumber.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    Ummm... The Blaze? Come on, man, you are so much better than that.

never mind

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,206 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #10

@Shawn C. said:
    I'm still not sure he is politically savvy or that he employs smart politics, as mentioned in your post. I think he just throws so much BS against the wall that some of it is bound to gain traction and produce a new media narrative.

He really is a an impulsive know-nothing, so maybe he has someone with a mind for strategy on his staff coming up with these things.

It's not nice of you to talk about Obama like that.

He's cranked it up to 11.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

The point about controlling the headlines is accurate. Does it matter if its intentional or not?

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,977 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    He was going to enact a middle class 10% tax cut prior to the midterms even though Congress is not in session. That didn't gain traction, so he threw a whole bunch of other crazy stuff out there.

Maybe it did gain traction. Maybe the intended traction was to get his base excited at election time. We might get an idea if it worked if there is a good turn out of Republican voters. But we won't know for sure.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Speaking of the Troll Farm formerly known as the White House, did anyone else read this from Ezra Klein? Yeah, I know its Ezra Klein, and yeah, its Vox, but I found it interesting. Made me question my view that there is no strategy in Trump world.

https://vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/10/30/18039990/trump-media-sanders-press-fake-news-enemy-people-bombing

All trump all the time. Even articles about not covering Trump because he’s manipulating the media are about Trump. They can’t seem to write about anything else.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement