Home The Lodge

Hasta La Vista, Megyn

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 11,689 Senior Member
edited October 2018 in The Lodge #1

1:30 p.m.

NBC News says the “Megyn Kelly Today” show is being canceled.

In a statement, the network news division said the show won’t return, a decision that follows fallout from Kelly’s on-air comments about blackface.

NBC News says the hour that had belonged to Kelly will be hosted next week by other “Today” show co-anchors.

The network on Friday again aired a repeat of “Megyn Kelly Today” just as it did Thursday following this week’s controversy.

https://apnews.com/8a8b75b7c2b742f6815ae30ef41d8e0b

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,281 Senior Member

Political correctness rears it's ugly black head again...

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,255 Senior Member

In the world of the perpetually offended you never know what’s going to trigger them. I think she was failing with the network anyway and this was a welcome break for them. It’s going to cost them though.

edited October 2018 #4

It's truly a shame these days that we've come to a point where everyone has to walk on egg shells for fear of offending someone.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

I personally don't think what she said was a fineable offense. She was just saying it used to be acceptable. She wasn't advocating anyone do it these days.

But karma sucks. Anyone who at one time voluntarily worked for the Eye of Sauron gets what they have coming.

Actual photo of Fox's newsroom:

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,446 Senior Member

They were looking for a reason to cut her loose. Sucks, but that is a cutthroat business.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member

Never watched her. Can’t say I care either way

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #8

@MikeA said:
    In the world of the perpetually offended you never know what’s going to trigger them. I think she was failing with the network anyway and this was a welcome break for them. It’s going to cost them though.

Yeah I guess it is just awful for you that you can't dress up in your minstrel show costume and break into your rendition of Mammy.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@Shawn C. said:
    I personally don't think what she said was a fineable offense. She was just saying it used to be acceptable. She wasn't advocating anyone do it these days.

But karma sucks. Anyone who at one time voluntarily worked for the Eye of Sauron gets what they have coming.

Actual photo of Fox's newsroom:

She was actually defending people doing blackface today.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 9,006 Senior Member

Don't feel bad for her. I hear there is a minstrel show considering hiring her.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

And I see comic beat me to a similar post.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    Political correctness rears it's ugly black head again...

So, apparently, have wayward apostrophes.

Jim

edited October 2018 #13

@fishingcomic said:

She was actually defending people doing blackface today.

Oh. In that case, C U Next Time, Megyn!

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,689 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #14

I don't like her (from her Fox days), and I've never seen her NBC show, but I did see the clip of the incident. I think she spoke from appalling ignorance as much as from racism. She began by talking about a childhood white friend who dressed up as Diana Ross and used make-up to darken her face.

That was fairly innocuous. She then went on to use the term "blackface", and defend it today, apparently ignorant of its history and connotations. That's where she screwed up.

I think Sherb is correct. My wife tells me that her ratings are poor, that she is said to antagonize her staff and bosses and that NBC was happy to have an excuse to get her off the air.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    edited October 2018 #15

Remember she is the one that insisted that Santa Claus was white and black people should just get over it.

The Diana Ross thing actually was recent and I think a colleague of hers from Fox.

@fishingcomic said:
    Remember she is the one that insisted that Santa Claus was white and black people should just get over it.

The Diana Ross thing actually was recent and I think a colleague of hers from Fox.

I misunderstood, I thought she was referring to a childhood friend. In that case there is no excuse.

I can see where an ignorant person would think that dressing as Diana Ross was a sign of respect for the singer. But when confronted with the fact that blackface was a way that the white entertainment industry would deny black people their humanity, the response is "my bad, I won't do it again." Not, "you are denying me my rights with your PC oppression."

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member

She's so hot tho

I'll give you that.

Please don't make me start deleting posts.

You (plural) can't say you weren't warned.

edited October 2018 #22

Every single word these days is measured and weighed. We are at the point where just about anything you say and hear drastically offends someone.

Such sad times we live in.

Although getting fired for $69 million dollars isn't a bad gig either...

https://www.ajc.com/news/world/megyn-kelly-departure-from-nbc-reportedly-imminent-after-blackface-comments/FTzH15dHO7LUOBeSMNKkCI/

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,255 Senior Member

Like I said, it's gonna cost them.

Remember that one time when everyone wasn't offended by everything? Flashback to 18 years ago...

https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/mark-simone/content/2018-10-26-watch-jimmy-kimmel-in-blackface-doing-a-racist-video/

@NZ Indicator said:
    Remember that one time when everyone wasn't offended by everything? Flashback to 18 years ago...

https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/mark-simone/content/2018-10-26-watch-jimmy-kimmel-in-blackface-doing-a-racist-video/

Breaking news:

Things change! Film at 11.

@Buffco said:
    She's so hot tho

meh

@FishTX said:

@Buffco said:
    She's so hot tho

meh

This to the third power.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,446 Senior Member

Boo. Hiss.

Buffy knows what’s what.

@sherb said:
    Boo. Hiss.

Buffy knows what’s what.

Buffy will dream dreams of the Devil's Triangle tonight.

@Shawn C. said:

@sherb said:
    Boo. Hiss.

Buffy knows what’s what.

Buffy will dream dreams of the Devil's Triangle tonight.

You think they'll make eye contact? :o

@Shawn C. said:
    Breaking news:

Things change! Film at 11.

Yeah. Everyone is now the constantly offended victim and has to look for the latest and greatest scapegoat. Segments of society have turned into people that need their hand held all the time...everyone gets a trophy...everyone is the perfect little snowflake...blah blah blah...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement