Home The Lodge

The bombs - legal question Sherb

CO NativeCO Native Senior MemberPosts: 2,307 Senior Member

So this is going to get interesting when it goes to court because none of these so-called bombs had anyway to detonate from what I've read. So basically he sent them some pipe, a battery, some powder and a clock. None of these are illegal to send through the mail.
Just like sending a gun through the mail is illegal, but if I remove the firing mechanism, then it's not longer a firearm and can be sent in two separate packages legally.

So Sherb, did he break the law? Hmmmmm?

Replies

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,480 Senior Member

you can't mail gunpowder?

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member

@tim_s said:
    you can't mail gunpowder?

You can, but it requires hazardous shipping classification and it's expensive af.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,307 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4

I buy it in bulk all the time and it's shipped to me. Powder isn't bad, but primers are big $$$$ to ship.
    Just pinged my buddy that places our bulk orders - $28 for a hazmat designation regardless of size. Primers are the same, but the savings aren't as good, so we buy local.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,318 Senior Member

@CO Native said:
    I buy it in bulk all the time and it's shipped to me. Powder isn't bad, but primers are big $$$$ to ship.
    Just pinged my buddy that places our bulk orders - $28 for a hazmat designation regardless of size. Primers are the same, but the savings aren't as good, so we buy local.

Is that via UPS/Fedex or US mail? Because US mail considers gunpowders an "explosive material" and won't mail it.

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,480 Senior Member

yes, you CAN with proper designation and certification.......but in this instance, it was clearly not the case

and yes it has to be UPS or FedEx

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,255 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #7

What if he says he was just sending them a clock.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,318 Senior Member

@tim_s said:
    yes, you CAN with proper designation and certification.......but in this instance, it was clearly not the case

and yes it has to be UPS or FedEx

These bombs were mailed. US Postal Service. What FedEx and UPS allow is immaterial to this case. In this case, it's illegal to ship gunpowder, any gunpowder, via the US Postal Service.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,451 Senior Member

The FBI says that the bombs are NOT hoax devices.

But, no need to ask me what the government's theory is. Read for yourself.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5022026/Attachment-1-1.pdf

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

I'm not reading Sherb's link because I question the original post. They are going to throw the book at this guy. Bigly. Terrorism, anyone?

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

Ok, just read it. Where are the terrorism charges?

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,023 Senior Member

A rubber room is his future

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member

@CO Native said:
    So this is going to get interesting when it goes to court because none of these so-called bombs had anyway to detonate from what I've read. So basically he sent them some pipe, a battery, some powder and a clock. None of these are illegal to send through the mail.
    Just like sending a gun through the mail is illegal, but if I remove the firing mechanism, then it's not longer a firearm and can be sent in two separate packages legally.

So Sherb, did he break the law? Hmmmmm?

Are we seriously taking this guys side?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

Any serious intentional act to terrorize is terrorism. The recipients would think it was a bomb on opening and not know it wasn't set to go off. Remember the guy who mailed people a harmless powder after the anthrax mailings? Visit him in jail I think.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,307 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Are we seriously taking this guys side?

NO, not a chance.
    But how can you call something that won't go off a bomb? If I point a shotgun barrel at you with nothing else attached, then it's not felony assault, it's a piece of tubing.

Everything I read so far says these can't go off, so are they a bomb or bomb components that are just questionable to send through the mail?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement