Home The Lodge

This place sucks

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 6,410 Senior Member

So I go to the bar....and you can’t order a drink there. You have to order food if you want a drink.

I suspected this might happen. So I brought my own.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,545 Senior Member

Where is this place?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member

Sandy, Utah.

But I suspect you knew that already :)

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4

Figured. You are right in Comic’s neighborhood!

Also, what’s with all the girly liquor? Was the liquor store out of Zima?

It’s the $1 bottles. Had to smuggle it in.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member

What are you making?

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    Also, what’s with all the girly liquor? Was the liquor store out of Zima?

Ha!!! I was thinking the same thing.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,299 Senior Member

Malibu?? Was your thong riding up on you when bought this?

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Sheb, you are kidding yourself if you think that’s enough of those things for you to tie one on.

All true and good points, gents. All true.

@sherb said:
    Sandy, Utah.

What the heck! and you didn't give me a call? I have whiskey and tequila. What was the restaurant?

You know that is where I live right?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

I’m just here for today, leaving this afternoon. Even then I thought about it :)

I have to get home. Girls basketball. Rain check?

It’s the Hyatt house hotel on Monroe

@sherb said:
    I’m just here for today, leaving this afternoon. Even then I thought about it :)

I have to get home. Girls basketball. Rain check?

Definitely.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,085 Senior Member

@CO Native said:
    Malibu?? Was your thong riding up on you when bought this?

So now we have a beret, blue shirt, brown jacket, and a thong.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,085 Senior Member

@sherb said:

I suspected this might happen. So I brought my own.

There's this thing called a flask. Get one.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member

He had a flashback from his Prius days.

Did you have to get in some Temple Work? Those dead people don’t baptize themselves!

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,226 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #19

@sherb said:
    Sandy V-agina, Utah.

You don't say?

My new saying: "Utah is actually really cool except for the fact it's in Utah."

Where Iive, if you had comparative real estate in, say, the CO Front Range, would be about 10 gajillion dollars. So there are good things and the cost of living is one of them.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 6,014 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #21

@Shawn C. said:

Where Iive, if you had comparative real estate in, say, the CO Front Range, would be about 10 gajillion dollars. So there are good things and the cost of living is one of them.

:'( So true this place is getting nuts, thanks in large part to those @#%*ing legal immigrants from the west coast. .

I think the experience here in Salt Lake Real Estate wise is a bit different. My rent is only about 25% cheaper than it would be in California.

edited October 2018 #23

Yes, SLC is different. East Bench real estate down there is crazy. Even Sugarhouse is getting really expensive, which is roughly equivalent to where I live in Ogden. We don't have the "cool" factor of Sugarhouse but the houses and lot sizes are really similar.

I was talking to a city council member several months ago and I flat out asked her, "Why is Ogden, in general, such a [email protected] dump?" This place has as much to offer, and more, than many other mountain towns in the Intermountain West but it is still, in most places, a [email protected] wreck. Such wasted potential here.

Was just reading an article about how CA folks leaving are jacking the hell out of prices particularly in Reno and Boise but also Utah, Colorado and Arizona

No stay there you a holes. Don’t ruin everywhere else

@Shawn C. said:
    Yes, SLC is different. East Bench real estate down there is crazy. Even Sugarhouse is getting really expensive, which is roughly equivalent to where I live in Ogden. We don't have the "cool" factor of Sugarhouse but the houses and lot sizes are really similar.

I was talking to a city council member several months ago and I flat out asked her, "Why is Ogden, in general, such a [email protected] dump?" This place has as much to offer, and more, than many other mountain towns in the Intermountain West but it is still, in most places, a [email protected] wreck. Such wasted potential here.

Hard to have tourism without a major airport. Our skiing industry benefits from the fact you can be on the slope in a little over an half an hour.

Here it is the vrbo/airbnb rentals driving prices up. There is very little in the way of affordable housing either to rent or buy. People have figured out that they can make in a week on a vacation rental what they would in a month on a long term rental. They may not be booked solid outside the main tourist season, but they still make more money ina year. Plus vacation renters tend to put less wear in the property.

The prices are going up along the Wasatch Front too but it is due to a housing shortage.

Is the housing shortage because people are buying investment houses or converting their rentals into airbnb's?

No it is because the Tech Industry is growing here everyday. The population here is growing faster than they can build and they are building like crazy.

It is growing everywhere. If any of you have children, encourage them to get into confusers and pursue confuser science. Can write your own ticket, and work environment is better in so many ways than many other professions.

My almost 12yo daughter thinks she wants to go into CS. She’d write her own ticket. Go kid!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement