Went to Yellowstone

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 2,877 Senior Member

t'was cold. it snowed. Had fun.

Despite the fact that Yellowstone is a horrible tourist trap, it always restores my soul. I don't know why. I didn't even feel the need to ferret a flask away in my jacket.

«1

Replies

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member

    Why you not call?

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member

    I joke, I probably wouldn’t have come. It’s the chickening season.

    Did skinny dip in hot spring?

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    I'm sorry. I don't know this Russian Bot. Mods?

    No, It was just a short weekend trip and I only had one day in Park. And I didn't have time to get to the Northeast corner. Had to hit Old faithful and the Canyon and the Firehole geysers and all that.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    @bmmike said:

    Did skinny dip in hot spring?

    I swear the most nerve-wracking part of having a seven-year old is "ooh that looks like a hot tub!"

    STAY ON THE PATH.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    Also, I got yelled at by the Ranger to get back in my car. Apparently I got too close to the Bull Elk you see above.

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member

    It’s nice to just be a tourist sometimes.

    Whenever I am going into the park to fish, I find myself cursing every vehicle for being dog damned slow driving tourist aholes. Then when I just go in to be a tourist myself, I drive slow as all getout and don’t really care who I’m holding up.

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,230 Senior Member

    @bmmike said:
    It’s nice to just be a tourist sometimes.

    Whenever I am going into the park to fish, I find myself cursing every vehicle for being dog damned slow driving tourist aholes. Then when I just go in to be a tourist myself, I drive slow as all getout and don’t really care who I’m holding up.

    Truth

  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member

    Now is the time of year for sure. Must have been about 1/1000th the number of people there compared to July.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    Yep. If I go back it’s gonna be in the off-season.

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,055 Senior Member

    I've heard Yosemite is even more crowded. Anyone's experience bear this out? Zion can be a real Charlie Foxtrot too, but its too hot during summer vacation season so I won't go then. Win-win.

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member
    edited October 11 #12

    My favorite time is May and even the first week of June. Before the schools all let out. It’s great then. First couple weeks of September can be good, also. In fact, I went in on Labor Day this year and was amazed how relatively empty it was for being a holiday weekend.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,476 Senior Member

    Someone told the winter is awesome by snow mobile

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:
    Someone told the winter is awesome by snow mobile

    It used to be really controversial, but I think now the controversy has largely abated, due to the new 4 stroke technology. They're a lot quieter.

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member

    I think they also require one to rent theirs, can’t ride your own in the Park.

    Cooke City seems to be the place to go for the snowmobilers. I see them parked at trailheads in the Crazies all winter, too. People just leave their trailer and sled at the trailhead all winter.

    Not my thing tho.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,476 Senior Member

    There is also a place in West Yellowstone that does guided tours. I have been considering it myself. I can't leave Utah without going there at least once.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:
    There is also a place in West Yellowstone that does guided tours. I have been considering it myself. I can't leave Utah without going there at least once.

    You have to go. Hell, we should make it a fishing trip next summer. Me, you Shawn, and bmmike.

  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,934 Senior Member
    edited October 11 #18

    @sherb said:

    @fishingcomic said:
    There is also a place in West Yellowstone that does guided tours. I have been considering it myself. I can't leave Utah without going there at least once.

    You have to go. Hell, we should make it a fishing trip next summer. Me, you Shawn, and bmmike.

    W.T.F.

    You cannot imagine the pain you just caused for me and Hextall. Good luck getting a birthday invite from either of us, punk.

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member

    Yeah, I’m in for sure. Can grab spot at Pebble and fish the Jellystone cutty rivers. Like this:

    https://forums.flyfisherman.com/discussion/comment/223145#Comment_223145

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    @Buffco said:

    @sherb said:

    @fishingcomic said:
    There is also a place in West Yellowstone that does guided tours. I have been considering it myself. I can't leave Utah without going there at least once.

    You have to go. Hell, we should make it a fishing trip next summer. Me, you Shawn, and bmmike.

    W.T.F.

    You cannot imagine the pain you just caused for me and Hextall. Good luck getting a birthday invite from either of us, punk.

    Well. . . we all live out here. If you want to get on a plane and bring your zebco, feel free. I'll make sure that I'm in top physical condition for your viewing pleasure.

  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member

    Thanks for the invite Sherb.
    As far as going in the winter, it's awesome and I'd recommend it. My wife wanted nothing to do with a snowmobile, so we did a tour in a big snow cat rig. There are bunch of companies that do it from the west side. The make plenty of stops so you can walk around and see everything. Pricey, but worth every penny.

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,240 Senior Member

    @sherb said:

    @Buffco said:

    @sherb said:

    @fishingcomic said:
    There is also a place in West Yellowstone that does guided tours. I have been considering it myself. I can't leave Utah without going there at least once.

    You have to go. Hell, we should make it a fishing trip next summer. Me, you Shawn, and bmmike.

    W.T.F.

    You cannot imagine the pain you just caused for me and Hextall. Good luck getting a birthday invite from either of us, punk.

    Well. . . we all live out here. If you want to get on a plane and bring your zebco, feel free. I'll make sure that I'm in top physical condition for your viewing pleasure.

    Make sure you bring soap-on-a-rope.

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member

    @CO Native said:
    Thanks for the invite Sherb.
    As far as going in the winter, it's awesome and I'd recommend it. My wife wanted nothing to do with a snowmobile, so we did a tour in a big snow cat rig. There are bunch of companies that do it from the west side. The make plenty of stops so you can walk around and see everything. Pricey, but worth every penny.

    And Gary.

    Hell, anyone who wants to come (Creekguy, Goldenladle) and doesn't live too far, let's do it.

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,055 Senior Member

    Yeah I'm in. And so is Comic I'm sure as we can drive up together. In fact, Comic is required to attend as I'm fairly certain he is the only one I can outrun in case of bear attacks.

    I love x10 the streams in the Lamar Valley.

  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,907 Senior Member

    @Shawn C. said:
    Yeah I'm in.

    Great now there won't be any beer.

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,055 Senior Member

    @jbilly said:

    @Shawn C. said:
    Yeah I'm in.

    Great now there won't be any beer.

    If Comic comes we're good. We'll keep each other checked.

    P.S. **** you

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member

    Sheb and me will drink your beer, no worries of it going to waste.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,476 Senior Member

    Sherb will only drink beer when the whisky runs out.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 243 Senior Member

    Right, the Ten High.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    edited October 12 #30

    @Shawn C. said:
    Yeah I'm in. And so is Comic I'm sure as we can drive up together. In fact, Comic is required to attend as I'm fairly certain he is the only one I can outrun in case of bear attacks.

    I love x10 the streams in the Lamar Valley.

    Me too. Love them.

    I'm gonna get a lot of side-eyed looks from the bros when I dredge the bottom of Soda Butte Creek with a double tungsten but IDGAF.

  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,820 Senior Member

    @sherb said:

    @CO Native said:
    Thanks for the invite Sherb.
    As far as going in the winter, it's awesome and I'd recommend it. My wife wanted nothing to do with a snowmobile, so we did a tour in a big snow cat rig. There are bunch of companies that do it from the west side. The make plenty of stops so you can walk around and see everything. Pricey, but worth every penny.

    And Gary.

    Hell, anyone who wants to come (Creekguy, Goldenladle) and doesn't live too far, let's do it.

    I'm 5 hours away, Id be up for it.

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

«1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.