Steven's Job Thread

like many threads swerved and led to our usual quipping and yes my friend I did miss you ... honestly you can ask Ladle and Dog I was trying to find you on Facebook in the advent that TL never came back

During the hiatus I was watching the budget debate with the usual rhetoric of let's git gubbmint outta mah laife and git dis big gubbmint under control ... so Yes I find it almost laughable as everyone applauded going after the giveaways to 'those people' cuzzz dats wutts distroyin' da countree ...

so let me get this straight ... we celebrate reducing funding to $700 million in spending on WIC (because those people need to just git a jerb) by 10% while saying nothing as the same drum beaters add $15 billion to defense spending which is already at $1.4 trillion (oh and I heard this justified as being less than a 3% increase) because it creates jerbs ... what about the 'jerbs' in manufacturing food consumed by WIC recipients (which are by the way private sector jobs)?

Also ... in the interim while watching this debate I went and looked at something that the Tri-Cornered Dunce hat crowd likely haven't ... the census and demographic data for WIC and Foodstamp recipients ... interesting on a county by county basis the top 150+ counties receiving assistance via Foodstamps with the exception of ONE were red counties (according to the recent election stats) and predominantly rural economies .... you know ... THOSE PEOPLE .. the liburrl country folk

so ... according to Volk like Santorum and Boehner ... cutting one-tenth of one percent of the budget is a neccessary sacrifice ($70 mil) while increasing spending 1-3% (depending on what number you use for defense) to the tune of $15 billion (214 times the cut) is an absolute neccessity ... and that the Paulette Revere crowd celebrate this is the reason there is a problem in the first place.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Blame Driftless.

He emails me, I email him back asking for Dog's email, and Driftless never e-mails me back.

As for the rest, I have no idea why we're increasing spending on anything.
    Oh I agree on your latter

the information I looked up was just an interesting commentary on how inaccurate 'conventional wisdom' about who gets what in handouts can be

a few days ago ... there was a big online article about the mot tax friendly states and the most retirement friendly states and almost All of them when one looked at the list were in the 'net' column of states that receive more federal revenues than they pay

as usual the comments sections were telling and full of anti-gubbmint, blame 'Obammy' rants ... funny thing that ... one wonders if those same states could afford to be that generous with their residents if they weren't in fact 'welfare' states and just how complimentary the comments would be if they had to charge their residents what it actually cost to maintain the standard of living they've become accustomed to ...
    huh ? what chu tawkin' bout willitz?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,762 Senior Member
    I didn't see the thread in the first look, thought it went poof.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    The title of this thread sounded a whole lot more promising than the content turned out to be. I've done some terribly dirty things in my life but I've never had a Steven Job.

bd
    Dirty Sanchez was the gardener
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    So is a Steven Job basically a Dirty Sanchez with "mutually agreed swaps"?

bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.