Pour a sip.

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 3,153 Senior Member

For an avid outdoorsman. I’ve hiked off trail at this place many many times with only a camera with me. It’s an amazing place and I’ve had some spooky bear encounters myself. Once I was playing a Coyote kill because I’d heard some barking close by and wanted a picture. After 15 min of not a sound, I got up to leave and found myself face to face with one of the largest Black Bears I’ve ever seen. At first I thought it was a cow. I walked away slowly (the thought ot take it’s pic never even crossed my mind) and he, or she, let me go. That bear came to a call looking for food and found me. I was lucky. This guy it seems wasn’t. They haven’t ruled it a Bear attack yet but I can’t imagine what else would have killed the guy. He was a young man in good shape and used to being in Bear country. It goes to show that sometimes it’s just your time. I have friends that go into these same areas to photograph bears daily. It’s what they do. IMO they are pushing their luck. Most of these bears are used to people and they don’t bother us. It’s that one old bear that isn’t able to catch something to eat, and all the nuts and berries are gone that will see a human as a feast. That’s why I carry now. Legal or not.

https://wlos.com/news/local/bear-euthanized-after-body-of-missing-man-found-in-gsmnp

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,626 Senior Member
    edited September 14 #2

Unfortunate that happened to that guy.

WI is full of black bears. I spend the majority of time in the woods throughout the year...trout fishing, grouse hunting and mountain bike trails. I'm never concerned about bears though. My experience with actual run ins with them is that they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

All I've had to do is yell something and then POOF! the bear turns and runs.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,137 Senior Member

My 3 encounters with black bears all ended up with the bear running away and me cleaning my shorts.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 201 Senior Member

I don’t worry about it. I’m in grizzly country, often alone, at least once per week and see both them and Black Bears from time to time. Chances are so low I’ll be attacked it doesn’t worry me more than a little, enough to just stay aware of my surroundings.

That guy was just unlucky. RIP

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,153 Senior Member

@bmmike said:

That guy was just unlucky. RIP

That's kinda how I see it too. I do worry about it though. I worry enough to make sure I have either spray or most likely a firearm when I plan to get off the beaten path or in a place with few visitors.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,811 Senior Member

I've encountered a really big black bear at my new place, I came out of the house right around dusk about a month ago and there he was, he had dumped the garbage and was picking through it. Scared the crap out of me. he didn't run off right away which concerned me, but I ran back into the house and turned the outside lights on and he meandered off. I haven't seen him/her since but its been back as I've seen the tracks.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,153 Senior Member

These Bears are in a very busy National park and they have plenty of run ins with humans. They usually aren't scared, but they usually don't bother people either. Usually....I think this is the third or fourth death in this park from Black Bear attack since it opened. There have been quite a few bites and what not.The back country sites are always getting closed due to aggressive behavior. A few years ago one dragged a young kid out of his hammock in the middle of the night and was dragging him off when the kids dad intervened and fought off the bear.

I wonder if they weren't more human friendly when the people were actually feeding them roadside back in the early days of the park. The first fatal attack didn't occur here until 2000.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,137 Senior Member

@Goldenladle said:
    I've encountered a really big black bear at my new place, I came out of the house right around dusk about a month ago and there he was, he had dumped the garbage and was picking through it. Scared the crap out of me. he didn't run off right away which concerned me, but I ran back into the house and turned the outside lights on and he meandered off. I haven't seen him/her since but its been back as I've seen the tracks.

Will the local wildlife authorities give you some rubber shotgun rounds to discourage him from coming back? They pass them out here to campground hosts to use (with some training).

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 201 Senior Member

You could just run out there and bear spray it. Hide in the dumpster and pop out. Haha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.