Sounds Like Things Are a Bit Punchy at the Mannafort Trial

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 682 Senior Member

Manafort trial Day 8: Judge concedes fault after Mueller team protests treatment

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/09/paul-manafort-trial-day-8-judge-ellis-769889

I have had to deal with crusty, acerbic judges in my career. One has to walk a fine line.

In this case I give Judge Ellis credit for admitting his mistake.

Replies

  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,820 Senior Member

    Ellis has has been an **** to them since day one.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:
    Ellis has has been an **** to them since day one.

    Which is fine. It means he probably thinks the government is going to win and wants to forestall any appeal.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member

    Judges here are on a big civility push, which has been mandated by the supreme Court of our state.

    But I kind of miss the crotchety old bastards. They made the world a more interesting place.

  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    But I kind of miss the crotchety old bastards. They made the world a more interesting place.

    You do like hanging out with me and Mel ;-)

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,616 Senior Member

    @sherb said:

    Which is fine. It means he probably thinks the government is going to win and wants to forestall any appeal.

    Brief explanation, please!

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member

    If the government wins the defense will file an appeal. the appeal will consist of appealing any adverse rulings the judge may have made against the defense. To the extent the judge can minimize those adverse rulings, the less likely he is to be overturned on appeal. That's why on a strong case for the government, the judge goes out of his way to be deferential to the defense.

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,616 Senior Member

    Got it. Thanks, Sherb.

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,829 Senior Member

    So is Manafort still banking on a pardon from Donny Numb Nuts? When will he realize that NYC and NY State will come at him like Zombie Honey Badgers for tax evasion despite whatever federal pardon(s) he may receive?

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 682 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    If the government wins the defense will file an appeal. the appeal will consist of appealing any adverse rulings the judge may have made against the defense. To the extent the judge can minimize those adverse rulings, the less likely he is to be overturned on appeal. That's why on a strong case for the government, the judge goes out of his way to be deferential to the defense.

    Similarly, if an appellate judge asks an attorney presenting oral argument tough, skeptical questions it is often a signal the judge agrees with the attorney and is putting him/her through his or her paces so the judge can better use the attorney's argument in writing up a decision favorable to the attorney's position in the case.

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,616 Senior Member

    Good stuff, guys!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file