I'm gonna special order a stick shift for my next vehicle

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 2,630 Senior Member

Not because I want one. More as an anti-theft device.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/manual-transmission-foils-car-theft-for-the-billionth-time/ar-BBLzXRh?li=BBnbfcL

These stories never get old.

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,051 Senior Member

My Rubi is a six speed. I don't have to worry about my daughters wanting to borrow it for the weekend. :)

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,514 Senior Member
    edited August 7 #3

Bring back stick shift cars and cursive writing and you could cripple an entire generation.

My son works at a credit union in Milwaukee and tells me that when he asks people to sign their check they don't know how.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,070 Senior Member

I almost weep watching young sales clerks trying to make change when the cash register computer goes down.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,754 Senior Member

If I could buy a new truck (cross your fingers two big jobs come through) I'd get a small truck with stick. I like stick over auto. I believe (correctly I hope) that I am more fuel efficient with stick. On a level highway with little traffic I can choose a speed and gear that keeps the engine ticking over a lower rpm without lugging the engine. A balance between speed (drive time) and rpm.

Even if I'm wrong, I like shifting manually. Learning my truck so shifts are smooth. When facing uphill at a stop sign, or light, making a smooth start without rolling backwards or sitting still till you let out enough clutch pedal and add enough gas.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,844 Senior Member

@sherb said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/manual-transmission-foils-car-theft-for-the-billionth-time/ar-BBLzXRh?li=BBnbfcL

Are you trying to challenge Joe for the yellow jersey in the "Tour de Grumpy Old Men?"

If so, you just picked up 8 points.

@George K said:
    I almost weep watching young sales clerks trying to make change when the cash register computer goes down.

Sad isn't it. I've witnessed the same

@Shawn C. said:

@sherb said:

Are you trying to challenge Joe for the yellow jersey in the "Tour de Grumpy Old Men?"

You can come on my lawn anytime. Just show up with your grouse gun.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 162 Senior Member

I drove naught but manuals from age 16 until my current FJ, which is an auto. Barring some necessity I cant fathom at the moment, Ill never go back to manual.

When I drove sports cars, coupes and sporty sedans and wagons I always had sticks. Now in my dotage I have cross overs and prefer shiftable automatics. :) Even my die-hard son put his head in his arm pit and bought an automatic when he purchased his latest, a certified Acura RDX.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 162 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

@Shawn C. said:

@sherb said:

You can come on my lawn anytime. Just show up with your grouse gun.

Do you have a dog, Joe? Because if you are shooting grouse out of trees after kicking them up by happenchance rather than shooting them out of the air upon clean flush after pinning point, then consider me here judging you as an unsporting peasant and scoundrel.

And by dog I mean pointing dog, not some Labrador since at that point you might as well just wander around the woods on your own shooting them out of trees.

edited August 8 #12

I have a lab that flushes them. I shoot them on the wing. Not out of trees.

I also hunt with a few friends that have pointers.

I prefer my lab over pointers. Adds a little more excitement to the hunt for me.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 729 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

@George K said:

Sad isn't it. I've witnessed the same

I have witnessed the same, especially if something costs $4.06 and I give them $5.06 to avoid getting a pocketful of change. Flummoxes them.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,093 Senior Member

@George K said:
    When I drove sports cars, coupes and sporty sedans and wagons I always had sticks. Now in my dotage I have cross overs and prefer shiftable automatics. :) Even my die-hard son put his head in his arm pit and bought an automatic when he purchased his latest, a certified Acura RDX.

Automatics with slap shifters are the new hot ticket. One of the car magazines did a comparison of 5 different sports cars. Each one had an auto and a manual. Same driver, same track. The autos with slap shifters kicked the crap out of the manuals.

Also, the new electronic controlled autos get much better gas mileage than manuals. Regardless of what we think, we are NOT smarter than the on board computer.

Still, I love driving a manual in a sports car.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,833 Senior Member

I for one do not miss driving a manual on a hill with a stop light in the snow.

@jbilly said:

Ditto!!!

@NZ Indicator said:

@jbilly said:

Ditto!!!

No sense of humor, you guys. :)

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,346 Senior Member

I don't know about snow, but I know that it's fun towing a boat with a manual transmission vehicle either in stop and go traffic or on hills. Or a steep ramp.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,630 Senior Member

clean the sand out of your manginas and learn to drive, girls.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,346 Senior Member

Uh, my current vehicle has a manual transmission. I've had it for 10+ years, and considering my usual length of ownership, I'll probably have it for another 5-10 years.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,093 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    clean the sand out of your manginas and learn to drive, girls.

Says the guy who drove a Prius - haha.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,630 Senior Member

haha. Touche.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file