So I was wrong. I thought it would be Amazon

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 2,840 Senior Member

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,034 Senior Member

I'm just glad you guys gave them a huuuuuge tax cut. :smile:

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,219 Senior Member

The Trump Tariffs should offset some of those tax breaks for Apple.

• SilverCreekSilverCreek Senior Member Posts: 128 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    The Trump Tariffs should offset some of those tax breaks for Apple.

There are no tariffs on anything Apple makes nor will there be. For tariffs to work there must be 2 factors in place. First the USA must make the items like cars for example. Second, the goods from other countries like cars must compete with the USA goods. Some cars do compete with USA cars but other cars like a Rolls Royce has no USA competitors, so a tariff on Rolls Royces will not cause a buyer of a Rolls to buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln.

In the case of Apple, none of its products compete with any product made in the USA. There are no computers, cell phones, or iPads devices made in the USA. All the competitors are overseas makers so there is no point in such a tariff. If such a tariff were placed, all it would accomplish is to increase the USA inflation rate since both consumers and businesses use Apple and other computer gear made in China.

Similarly the USA would not put a tariff on the import of Chinese airliners because China does not make airliners.

Apple is the just the first stock to break the 3 parenthesis valuation barrier. One of the other FAANG stocks will follow, probably the other "A", Amazon next.

My bad then. I was under the impression that the latest round of tariffs did include some Apple electronics being imported from China, some direct, some indirect.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member

SilverCreek,

How you doing? Long time no see.

There are no tariffs on anything Apple makes nor will there be. For tariffs to work there must be 2 factors in place. First the USA must make the items like cars for example. Second, the goods from other countries like cars must compete with the USA goods. Some cars do compete with USA cars but other cars like a Rolls Royce has no USA competitors, so a tariff on Rolls Royces will not cause a buyer of a Rolls to buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln.

In the case of Apple, none of its products compete with any product made in the USA. There are no computers, cell phones, or iPads devices made in the USA. All the competitors are overseas makers so there is no point in such a tariff. If such a tariff were placed, all it would accomplish is to increase the USA inflation rate since both consumers and businesses use Apple and other computer gear made in China.

Similarly the USA would not put a tariff on the import of Chinese airliners because China does not make airliners.

Apple is the just the first stock to break the 3 parenthesis valuation barrier. One of the other FAANG stocks will follow, probably the other "A", Amazon next.

Hi Steven.

I just happened to click on the forums line and found this thread.

I'm doing well. I spent 10 days fishing the Madison River as I do every year. So life is good.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member

Good for you. Don't be such a stranger.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,840 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    Good for you. Don't be such a stranger.

cosigned.

I mistakenly posted the same post. I wanted to add that you can find the list of items on the Chinese Tariff list here. There are no items made by Apple on the list as far as I can tell.

https://www.scribd.com/document/375467984/Trump-China-trade-targets#from_embed?

What I noticed was that TVs and VCRs were on the list and as far as I know, no TVs or VCRs are made in the USA. BuT they are made in countries that are allies of the USA such as South Korea. So the Chinese tariffs punish China and they benefit our other Asian allies.

Well, Apple may feel the pain after all....

Chinese state media: Apple could be used as a 'bargaining chip' in the trade war
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/07/apple-china-us-trade-war-bargaining-chip.html

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,707 Senior Member

I'm an Amazon ****. Amazon boxes show up at my house 2-3 days a week

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,901 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    I'm an Amazon ****. Amazon boxes show up at my house 2-3 days a week

Keep it up joe. My 401k needs to keep growing

Love me some Amazon.

I might be more of an Amazon **** than a Simms **** at this point.

@sherb said:

Now if Simms would distribute on Amazon you'd have both bases covered!!!

I used to be a Simms guy for my waders but have recently switched to Redington and Orvis due to the Sonic welded seams. They seem to hold up better than the stitched seams.

Love my Simms Vapor boots though.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,214 Senior Member

I've had just two pairs of waders in the last twenty years, both of them Cabela's upper level but not top-of-the-range ones. Cabela's sold good private label stuff at fair prices. I hope that continues now that they've been bought by Bass Pro Shops.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@sherb said:

Speaking of Simms. They have some flip flops that I didn't think I'd like, but got them anyway. Now I never take them off when I'm not at work.

You guys watch Amazon. They are tricky. The price you see is tailored to your shopping needs. I use them for a lot now that I live in BFE. I often compare to Walmart and find walmart is cheaper. Sometimes A LOT cheaper.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,460 Senior Member
    edited September 6 #22

You know what? I bought myself a pair of cheap waist high waders from Sportsman's Warehouse. Because they were so cheap I don't worry about climbing over rocks, sliding down banks or any of that stuff. I am pretty tough on them, this is my second season and no leaks. I love these waders.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Wet wading 4tehwin! At least in the hot summer months.

Illegal to wet wade Big Cottonwood Canyon.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Illegal to wet wade?? Why?

edited September 6 #26

@Shawn C. said:

This is how you can tell the wannabes from the fishermen. The ones wearing waders, vests, nets, big hats, etc, in the 90 degree heat, not fishermen. There is only one exception to that. Brian Dunigan. He always has waders and that damned vest.

City source for water. No dogs are allowed in the canyon either.

@MikeA said:

@Shawn C. said:

This is how you can tell the wannabes from the fishermen. The ones wearing waders, vests, nets, big hats, etc, in the 90 degree heat, not fishermen. There is only one exception to that. Brian Dunigan. He always has waders and that damned vest.

Not necessarily. Where I live we have mosquitoes, ticks with lyme disease, picker bushes and wild parsnip. I always wear waders for all of those reasons. Would be dumb not to.

@NZ Indicator said:

@MikeA said:

@Shawn C. said:

Not necessarily. Where I live we have mosquitoes, ticks with lyme disease, picker bushes and wild parsnip. I always wear waders for all of those reasons. Would be dumb not to.

I'm sure up there is different. Down here we have ditches with Dam water flowing through them with big parking lots and sidewalks that go down to the river.

I once picked up a leach while wet wading the Bitterroot. I blame Goldenladle.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,173 Senior Member

@George K said:
    I've had just two pairs of waders in the last twenty years, both of them Cabela's upper level but not top-of-the-range ones. Cabela's sold good private label stuff at fair prices. I hope that continues now that they've been bought by Bass Pro Shops.

That's not going to happen. I'm already seeing a lot of the cheap junk from Bass Pro creeping into Cabela's. Kind of a bummer because I liked their products a lot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.