Plastic Straws

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 9,288 Senior Member

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,285 Senior Member

Unless one is using a "to go" cup, men should never drink anything using a straw.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,180 Senior Member

i was just there last week. Most places have already switched to paper straws.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,616 Senior Member

I have zero problem with this.

Steven,
    If you have sensitive teeth, straws are a necessity. I just don't drink much pop so I'm good to go anyway.

PS
    Joe, this is subtle. No rant, just a simple "Leave it to CA." and a link.
    This speaks to your brevity and wordsmithing abilities. I award you 9/10 "Get Off My Lawn!" points.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,704 Senior Member

Joe,
    Look into how many straws end up in the ocean, and how much damage straws alone do.

And that is just the tip of the plastic iceberg. One study estimated that in 2010 eight million metric tons of plastic made it to the ocean. That is "a volume of five grocery-sized bags filled with plastic for every foot of coastline in the world."

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Yeah, but the Konstitooshun!!!! Mah Freedom is gone!!! Tyranny!!!

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,721 Senior Member

@FishTX said:
    Joe,
    Look into how many straws end up in the ocean, and how much damage straws alone do.

And that is just the tip of the plastic iceberg. One study estimated that in 2010 eight million metric tons of plastic made it to the ocean. That is "a volume of five grocery-sized bags filled with plastic for every foot of coastline in the world."

The straws are not the problem. The problem is that this or any other waste ends up in the ocean. I don't know about you but I never tossed a straw in the ocean.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member
    edited August 1 #9

@FishTX said:
    Joe,

I would think all of the plastic water bottles out there are more of a problem then little plastic straws. Even though there are many recycling centers for the plastic bottles...I see them all over the road and in ditches all the time.

Anecdotal: I used to run an Adopt-A-Highway event every year on a road that parallels my local trout stream. I picked up many plastic water bottles, plastic pop bottles, plastic beer bottles, beer cans, pop cans etc. but never picked up a straw.

I'd be more inclined to go along with a plastic water bottle ban vs. straws

https://www.nature.com/news/bottles-bags-ropes-and-toothbrushes-the-struggle-to-track-ocean-plastics-1.20432

@Shawn C. said:
    PS
    Joe, this is subtle. No rant, just a simple "Leave it to CA." and a link.
    This speaks to your brevity and wordsmithing abilities. I award you 9/10 "Get Off My Lawn!" points.

I'll try harder next time so I can get 10/10!!!

While straws are a small percentage of all the plastic that gets into the ocean, they are a big problem. Straws and those stupid plastic, microbeads in liquid soap are ingested by fish and other aquatic wildlife.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

@FishTX said:
    While straws are a small percentage of all the plastic that gets into the ocean,

Yes...But those californians will never give up their plastic water bottles!

@Shawn C.

If you have sensitive teeth, straws are a necessity.

Gut it out.

@Shawn C. said:

If you have sensitive teeth, straws are a necessity.

Or if you have Parkinsons disease like my mom did.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,651 Senior Member

Band-aid on a huge, sucking chest wound. The important thing is it makes politicians and hipsters feel like they're saving the planet. And as I've said before, intent is all that matters. Not results.

Meanwhile, we still burn coal.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,651 Senior Member

And I don't use a straw. Just pointing out the inanity.

@Buffco said:
    Band-aid on a huge, sucking chest wound. The important thing is it makes politicians and hipsters feel like they're saving the planet. And as I've said before, intent is all that matters. Not results.

Meanwhile, we still burn coal.

Yep^^^

I read a piece by Thomas Friedman many years ago about this very subject. His thought was that we are having a "green party," not a real "green revolution." People recycle, buy organic veggies and a hybrid and then celebrate their lifestyle choices. Meanwhile the oceans are dying, we are in the midst of a mass-extinction event and the same people continue to use tons of single-use plastics and consume energy at unprecedented rates. And these are the liberals who care about the environment. The other half of America thinks renewable energy is some deep-state plot to destroy America.

As Kanaloa was fond of saying, there are too many people on this rock.

• SeaducerSeaducer Junior Member Posts: 36 Member

We went to paper straws at our restaurant last month really no reason not to with only small increase in price . Last year changed to paper cups and to -go boxes.I don't think this l small step will save the ocean but why not do what is in my power to help.Here in Oregon its 10 cents deposit on plastic bts.and cans and I believe that helps some with that problem .Like climate change lets say f---- it and do nothing.

@Buffco said:
    Band-aid on a huge, sucking chest wound.

Small yes. Not terribly effective by itself. But you have to start somewhere. Nobody is going to ban plastic bottles in the near future. We would be lucky if we can increase recycling.

But big movements often have small starts. Nobody wants to make big moves. They dwell on the negative instead of the positive. To get a politician off his ****, you gotta convince them to make small changes that they don't see as an end of a career. Then you make the next small change. Chip away at the problem.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,713 Senior Member

Great straws. Ok it starts somewhere. But how about you actually try solving the problem

https://www.marinelitterthefacts.com/sources

@fishingcomic said:

The straws are not the problem. The problem is that this or any other waste ends up in the ocean. I don't know about you but I never tossed a straw in the ocean.

They are a small part of the problem. All single-use plastics are the problem. It is a drop in the bucket but even if we can keep a few million plastic straws out of the waster stream it is better than nothing.

And man, if you've never thrown a straw in the ocean you're missing out on one of life's great rewards! ;)

@FishTX said:

But big movements often have small starts.

I'm laughing my a-ss off here, for unrelated reasons.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,829 Senior Member

@Steven said:

@FishTX said:

But big movements often have small starts.

I'm laughing my a-ss off here, for unrelated reasons.

Today we learned that Steven prefers tiny little Sennaside pills over MiraLAX mixed into a big glass of water . :)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,287 Senior Member

...and no straw.

Sometimes, when it rains it pours.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member

I'm all for saving the world, and I never use a straw, but $1K fine is a bit over the top. I'd much rather see them fine the a s s h o l e s that pollute the air with their smoking and throw filters on the ground.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 145 Senior Member

OMG, so far, no discussion of synthetic Strike Indicators as the destroyers of worlds? Did you know there is a giant vortex eddy of such indicators circulating in the Pacific Ocean offshore where the baby fur seals and Sea Otters play? What about those New Zealand thingies, they must be damaging the environment?
    Myself, I'm building a house entirely of kelp.

(we are doomed of course, so I resort to lame humor to pass the time till its over)

Speaking of humor...

@creekyguy said:
    OMG, so far, no discussion of synthetic Strike Indicators as the destroyers of worlds? Did you know there is a giant vortex eddy of such indicators circulating in the Pacific Ocean offshore where the baby fur seals and Sea Otters play? What about those New Zealand thingies, they must be damaging the environment?

Further proof that nymphing is evil!!!

@CO Native said:
    I'd much rather see them fine the a s s h o l e s that pollute the air with their smoking and throw filters on the ground.

Yes.

And a smaller fine for the straws would work.

Where's that popcorn eating emoji?

sherb's so ticked he took off the beret.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file