Talking Politics on Social Media

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 966 Senior Member

It has just been reported that Facebook is saying that it has detected a concerted effort to influence the mid-term elections via inauthentic accounts on its social media platform.

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-coordinated-effort-influence-2018-us-midterm-elections-2018-7

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/us/politics/facebook-political-campaign-midterms.html

I have generally wondered this all along, but am now really wondering: who the hell is influenced by political posts on FB or, for that matter, this site? Perhaps I am susceptible to being influenced on a subconscious level, but I don't think so and I know for sure that I am not affected on a conscious level.

Do any of you see a politically oriented social media post and say to yourself, "dang, that person is right, I wasn't thinking this way, but in light of the information I just got from that post on FB [or The Lodge] I am going to vote for so and so." ?

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

Um. . .I've changed my mind a time or two on a given issue. Or I've at least had my arguments sharpened. Its better on a forum like this, not as great on Facebook, and Twitter is a cesspool. No one is going to tweet anything that changes anyone's mind. It really depends on the medium and the ground rules for engagement (often unwritten) that are established for debate.

I know some of you think this place is a wretched hive of scum and villany, but its a tea-drinking social compared to some places I've been, especially fitness boards. Those are the worst.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member

I've become much more pro-2nd amendment mostly due to discussions with FishSlime and March Brown.

The rest of you losers left here haven't taught me s-h-I-t except that "port" has four letters as does "left."

I was pissed at GM over taking bailout money and convinced that Ford was a better company for remaining solvent throughout the housing crisis of 2008. Someone, Comic I think, pointed out that Ford's suppliers took bailout money. Suddenly it didn't seem like such a principled stand to only buy Ford vehicles.

So that was one thing. I know that there's been more.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 966 Senior Member

I agree that this place is pretty civilized compared to other forums and social media platforms.

I am not a big narcissistbook user but when I look at my news feeds and see political posts--mainly anti Trump screeds that are shared, I wonder "why did you post/share that? Do you really think that is going to change someone's mind?" I guess it is just a matter of preaching to the choir and reinforcing peoples' existing opinions.

That kind of posting must have an effect, though. After all, the Russians don't engage in that kind of activity for nothing.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 304 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #6

The fundamentals of the last election were public disgust with the political establishments and concern over immigration. The social media manipulation had an effect, but only because the election was pretty close.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #7

I can say based on conversations with liberals on FB, that the DNC hacks on Wikileaks had a major impact on people and without a doubt suppressed the Democratic vote.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,946 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    I can say based on conversations with liberals on FB, that the DNC hacks on Wikileaks had a major impact on people and without a doubt suppressed the Democratic vote.

Because it showed what they truly were.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member

So we're now claiming that the Russians didn't get the forgotten white male to vote, but instead hurt liberals' enthusiasm?

Do I have this right?

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member

Old unwritten rule...Never discuss politics or religion with friends and family.

Thus I never get into political discussions on Facebook and when I see political posts I scroll by and ignore them.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member

Here is the thing, is it only a crime when a burglar successfully steals your tv?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Posts 1-5 rebutted GMB's point.

Posts 6-10 confirmed it. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.