In other news. . .

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,712 Senior Member

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member

After having met you, I find this difficult to believe.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,813 Senior Member

You need to meet more Marines. Sherb may be a 1-3%er in terms of EM behavior in later life. I know I'm atypical of Army E-4s. :) But that's because back in the day (mid 1960s) the Army relied on draftees, the Marines not so much. Not sure about when Sherb served.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

That was somewhat sarcastic. :D

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

Somewhat. :)

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member

You're proud AF, right?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

well, if I'm being honest. . .

right.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 304 Senior Member

Fake News!! It was a result of a SURVEY.....that is, it discovered what some people are proud of in their life, and willing to lie about!

edited July 2018 #9

@sherb said:
    Somewhat. :)

Believe me, Sherb, it was a compliment of the highest order based upon my wartime experience when I often served with joint Marine/Army task forces, and those of both Services I've know in later life. There's a reason that many military officers in their unguarded moments refer to the ranks as "enlisted swine". I'm not defending it, but it is the reality.

Marine Security Guards at Embassies were in a different class altogether: excellent in their jobs, and impressive as individuals - intelligent, articulate and emotionally intelligent with very few exceptions.

That's because those jobs go to the guy who would rather shine his shoes and press his uniform than go out on a Saturday Night.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    That's because those jobs go to the guy who would rather shine his shoes and press his uniform than go out on a Saturday Night.

People like that really exist? Personally I prefer Friday nights out after a long week of work, but I'm old school.

edited August 2018 #12

@fishingcomic said:

Not true. Marine House parties often are the best place to be on a weekend. But they do know how to party without getting in trouble.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.