Alaska

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,973 Senior Member
edited July 2018 in The Lodge #1

Has anyone done a DIY trip to Alaska combining fishing and sight-seeing?

We're thinking of doing that next summer, and we're thinking of renting a car one way and a small boat inner passage cruise the other. A quick glance at small boat cruise prices has made me think there must be a less expensive way - perhaps ferries? I'm only looking for a few days of fishing in a three week trip that would focus mainly on National Parks and wildlife viewing.

Any suggestions?

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,544 Senior Member

First, do you know anyone up there? I met a guy with a nice boat on a job about 30 years ago and kept in touch with him. My good buddy's brother is a bush pilot (was I should say, he gave up flying last year) and I've taken him goose hunting several times.
    So when we went, we ferried a truck and camper up and then I fished with both of them for 4 days (2 days of salt and 2 of river). Then drove all the way home down the AlCan highway.

I know that I got very lucky with this trip, but I wouldn't do it any other way.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 349 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #3

http://www.alaska.org/transportation/ferry
    I took the Alaska State ferry some 30 years ago, and can say that it was great then. Sit on the deck and watch the scenery go by. On the Inland Passage sections waves are minimal. I got off at the last stop of the day and stayed in several towns along the way, which allowed me to see and do more. The Ferries ran 24 hours, and so much of the scenery would have gone by as I was sleeping. Fishing varies by town. Highlight was Anchorage to Whittier by train, ferry to Valdez which visited the Columbia Glacier inlet, (but I hear its kaput now) Ate dockside superfresh seafood in Prince Rupert, B.C. But i liked going from Skagway to Whitehorse and back by train, shutdown I think but you can rent a car. There's the Chilkoot trail to hike. I think you save $ and can be more freelance by ferry than a canned cruise if you plan ahead. Of course, I don't know what its like now. You pay more to bring the car along of course.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Unless there is a nuclear meltdown between the happy couple we will be in Cheyenne next summer for a family wedding. I'm looking into flying on to Alaska and planning drive/ferry itineraries.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.