A Different Take on Working Class Anger and "Trump Country"

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,811 Senior Member

For one thing, it’s not Trump country. Most struggling whites I know here live a life of quiet desperation mad at their white bosses, not resentment toward their co-workers or neighbors of color.

By Sarah Smarsh

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/opinion/trump-corporations-white-working-class.html?mabReward=CBMG1&recid=17bnpQTG9IKpt9nOfv2T3Ozh1TZ&recp=1&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member

I don't get her point.

She seems to be saying that there's a large class of white, working class Americans that aren't racist, nationalistic, homophobic, jesus-wejuses that didn't vote for Trump but also whole bunch of the same that did.

Meanwhile, she acknowledges that there are a whole bunch of white and gray collar whites, who she admits know how to vote their interests, who also voted for Trump.

So what's her point? MSM and elites should stop making fun of the American working class?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

I have something you guys need to read. Its. . .very different. Not at all the usual "here we are in the wilds of Papua New Guinea talking to regular Americans and no one has burned us at the stake yet." .

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/08/illiberal-values/

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 966 Senior Member

I think her point is that the white working class is not universally pro-Trump.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 966 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    I have something you guys need to read. Its. . .very different. Not at all the usual "here we are in the wilds of Papua New Guinea talking to regular Americans and no one has burned us at the stake yet." .

I agree with his observation that liberals can be pretty dour. Lots of them around here. Bernie is a good example.

@Green Mt Boy said:
    I think her point is that the white working class is not universally pro-Trump.

And this is worth using up space on the internet?

edited July 2018 #7

@sherb said:

"Back then, for example, the CIA was understood to be a nest of liars and psychopaths who toppled democratically chosen leaders, lied to the public to start wars, and ran sick experiments on innocents using drugs and mind-control techniques. In Three Days of the Condor, a thriller from the period, Robert Redford plays a lowly CIA officer who discovers that the agency is nothing more than a crime ring. These days, however, with Trump playing the heavy, the CIA is revered by many liberals as a bulwark of integrity, its missions sacred, its conclusions unimpeachable, and its former director, John Brennan, worthy of a high-profile cable news job. The FBI draws similar adulation, never mind its history of spying on the likes of Ernest Hemingway, John Lennon, and Martin Luther King Jr.

This great liberal switch from skepticism to sanctimony about the most powerful arms of the Establishment is matched by a viral fear of Russia that reminds me of the John Birch Society pamphlets I’d come across now and then when I was young. Somehow, instinct told me then that they were crazy, exaggerating the cunning of the enemy, the depravity of the collaborators, and the vulnerability of America. The liberal comedians who lampooned such claims on shows such as Laugh-In were my idols."

I remember. The world is totally upside down.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 301 Senior Member

Good article. I think the difference she gets at is that between Traditionalists versus "free-thinkers" or whatever you want to call those who don't buy the standard dogmas interest groups try to impose on us. Trump came along at a time when people were sick of dogma and enforced ways of thinking, not to mention dysfunctional politics.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,811 Senior Member

"I remember. The world is totally upside down."

It's getting to be, what with a mercantile GOPoT and free trader Dems.

The other day I heard a reference to "NY's left wing tabloid, the Daily News", a paper I haven't read since I out grew the comics section. In my yoot it was a far right tabloid, and the Post was the liberal-left one in the city. With the Dirty Digger reversing course on the Post I guess the Daily News also flipped to provide some competition. I'll have to pick up a copy to see if it really did switch sides.

• deewelchdeewelch Posts: 9 Junior Member

Liberals are right about Trump...

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member

Alright...

Which one of you is wearing a tool belt?

@George K said:

The other day I heard a reference to "NY's left wing tabloid, the Daily News", a paper I haven't read since I out grew the comics section. In my yoot it was a far right tabloid, and the Post was the liberal-left one in the city.

Daily News just announced that it was laying off half its editorial staff.

@deewelch said:
    Liberals are right about Trump...

@Steven said:

@George K said:

The other day I heard a reference to "NY's left wing tabloid, the Daily News", a paper I haven't read since I out grew the comics section. In my yoot it was a far right tabloid, and the Post was the liberal-left one in the city.

Daily News just announced that it was laying off half its editorial staff.

I saw that. It used to have the largest circulation of any paper in the USA.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member

When I lived there it seemed most people read the Post. But I think it had more to do with the sports section. None of the tabloids have much in the way of real news.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 301 Senior Member

that was the paper with the classic Headline "FORD TO CITY: DROP DEAD".
    I guess thats a bit ironic now.

edited July 2018 #16

I haven't lived in NY since1970 (1969 actually, but I'll count Ft. Lee, NJ as greater NY). Back then there were three tabloids: the Daily News was neo-facist right but saved by the presence of Jimmy Breslin and the city's best comic strips; the Post (founded by Alexander Hamilton) was lefty-liberal and had higher quality writing - columns by Murry Kempton, Eleanor Roosevelt, Max Lerner, Pete Hamill, Eric Sevareid and Langston Hughes; and the Mirror was conservative but had the best sports pages, including good fishing and hunting columns. Of the many broadsheets the two best were the moderate Dem Times and the moderate Repub Herald Tribune, which lives on in the form of the Paris Trib, now the International Herald Tribune and the Fresh Air Fund summer camp charity (both now owned by the Times, I think) and New York Magazine, once the Trib's Sunday mag , now independent.

The other papers of my youth - the Journal-American, the World-Telegraph and Sun, both combined from formerly independent papers have disappeared, as has my sentimental favorite, the Brooklyn Eagle. I delivered that one as a teen on my bicycle and it is my sort-of direct connection to Walt Whitman, who once was its Editor.

Sadly, this is pretty typical of once-great newspapers in cities all across the States.

• pandespandes Posts: 6 Junior Member

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.