Who said it better:

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 4,006 Senior Member
«1

Replies

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member

    Or Ms. Teen South Carolina.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member

    What is it about socialists that their rants always dissolve into unintelligible word salads when anyone asks them a question?

    https://nypost.com/2018/07/17/ocasio-cortez-ignites-controversy-with-comments-on-israeli-occupation/

    Could it be that they are just as ignorant about socialism as they are about everything else?

  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,533 Senior Member

    I'd give her a break and assume she meant "the occupation of the Palestinian territories" rather than the occupation of Palestine (e.g. the entire area including what is internationally accepted as Israel).

    Her knowledge of U.S. history is poor. Opposition to the British mercantilist system, was a major cause of the Revolution. The Boston Tea Party was all about capitalism.

    I hope she's still not expecting the internal contradictions of capitalism to lead to socialism and the eventual dictatorship of the proletariat. That ship sailed.

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member

    I agree completely that most of today's American "socialists" haven't a clue as to what the word actually means. It's like "social democrat" is too difficult a term to remember. :'(

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member

    I'll take a "social democrat" (clueless or not) over a" National socialist"...we have far, far too many of those.

    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,129 Senior Member

    @Wetdog said:
    I'll take a "social democrat" (clueless or not) over a" National socialist"...we have far, far too many of those.

    And more than one is running as Republican.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,533 Senior Member

    Supposedly she has both an econ and international studies degree from Boston University. I'd assume she knows what socialism means.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member

    Well one would assume.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member

    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying she’s stupid. And we know she’s a hard worker who literally wore out two pairs of shoes talking to everyone in the district. She just strikes me as someone who doesn’t see her worldview challenged very often and she’s unprepared when it happens.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,129 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying she’s stupid. And we know she’s a hard worker who literally wore out two pairs of shoes talking to everyone in the district. She just strikes me as someone who doesn’t see her worldview challenged very often and she’s unprepared when it happens.

    Sounds like a trickle downer.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,037 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    Since we seem to be doing non sequiturs. . . Here’s one.

    https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/climate-alarmists-doomsday-predictors-wrong/

    I cried two times when my daughter was born. First for joy, when after 27 hours of labor the little feral being we’d made came yowling into the world, and the second for sorrow, holding the earth’s newest human and looking out the window with her at the rows of cars in the hospital parking lot, the strip mall across the street, the box stores and drive-throughs and drainage ditches and asphalt and waste fields that had once been oak groves. A world of extinction and catastrophe, a world in which harmony with nature had long been foreclosed. My partner and I had, in our selfishness, doomed our daughter to life on a dystopian planet, and I could see no way to shield her from the future.

    City folks figuring out that they live in a S-Hole.

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member

    @Steven said:
    Supposedly she has both an econ and international studies degree from Boston University. I'd assume she knows what socialism means.

    In the interview I saw she spoke of stricter regulation and protecting people from greedy corporations and Wall St., not gubbmint ownership, aside from Medicare for all. Even there she did not rule out private insurance supplements. That sounds like a social democrat, not a socialist. But she may have said otherwise elsewhere.

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member

    @George K said:

    @Steven said:
    Supposedly she has both an econ and international studies degree from Boston University. I'd assume she knows what socialism means.

    In the interview I saw she spoke of stricter regulation and protecting people from greedy corporations and Wall St., not gubbmint ownership, aside from Medicare for all. Even there she did not rule out private insurance supplements. That sounds like a social democrat, not a socialist. But she may have said otherwise elsewhere.

    Cue the snarky comment from a BC alumnus. :)

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,533 Senior Member

    So she's a member of the Democratic Socialist party which apparently calls for the abolition of capitalism.

    Ben Shapiro skewered her interview on the View where she couldn't explain the difference between social democracy and socialism.

  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,533 Senior Member

    What's the over/under on this intellectual giant getting a prime speech spot in a couple of years at the Democratic National Convention?

    I'm thinking, with a career as a community organizer, then 2 years in the House, and half a term in the Senate, we could be looking at the 2024 Democratic presidential nominee.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member

    @Steven said:
    What's the over/under on this intellectual giant getting a prime speech spot in a couple of years at the Democratic National Convention?

    I'm thinking, with a career as a community organizer, then 2 years in the House, and half a term in the Senate, we could be looking at the 2024 Democratic presidential nominee.

    Never, ever underestimate the ability of the Dems to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. She'll be 36 in 2024 . . .just barely eligible. Maybe Katie Couric can ask her what books she reads.

  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,533 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:

    City folks figuring out that they live in a S-Hole.

    Uh, no. Here's the appropriate takeaway.

    "Innovation and modernization are enduring features of capitalist economies. They have transformed the human condition and freed the vast bulk of humanity from the formerly omnipresent dangers of disease and famine. Simply put, the greatest engine for human progress in the history of mankind can’t be the instrument of its doom."

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member

    yeah, but none of that takes into account the sheer drudgery and alienation of modern labor.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,006 Senior Member

    You know, 'cause working in a coffee shop is basically the same as serfdom.

    This is the problem with Marxism: its a series of shifting goalposts. First the workers are being exploited, leading to an increase in class strife. Only one problem with this theory: There's been a historical decrease. So then the Marxists turn to the economic superstructure and how "Capital." drives history. Only, thanks to the rise of nationalism and Osama Bin Laden and Herr **** and Max Weber, we know that economics is not the driver of history (though it certainly drives prosperity). So now we are left with work being "alienating" and drudgery, which I guess Marx was right about, but if you have a bass boat in the driveway and Fox news and cheap food, does it really matter how much your job sucks?

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    You know, 'cause working in a coffee shop is basically the same as serfdom.

    This is the problem with Marxism: its a series of shifting goalposts. First the workers are being exploited, leading to an increase in class strife. Only one problem with this theory: There's been a historical decrease. So then the Marxists turn to the economic superstructure and how "Capital." drives history. Only, thanks to the rise of nationalism and Osama Bin Laden and Herr **** and Max Weber, we know that economics is not the driver of history (though it certainly drives prosperity). So now we are left with work being "alienating" and drudgery, which I guess Marx was right about, but if you have a bass boat in the driveway and Fox news and cheap food, does it really matter how much your job sucks?

    Not if you are content with the unexamined life, as many - most? - people are.

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,117 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:

    City folks figuring out that they live in a S-Hole.

    Now that is funny. I was thinking the same thing.

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,969 Senior Member

    @NZ Indicator said:

    @MikeA said:

    City folks figuring out that they live in a S-Hole.

    Now that is funny. I was thinking the same thing.

    I thought you hacked his account.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,129 Senior Member

    @sherb said:

    @Steven said:
    What's the over/under on this intellectual giant getting a prime speech spot in a couple of years at the Democratic National Convention?

    I'm thinking, with a career as a community organizer, then 2 years in the House, and half a term in the Senate, we could be looking at the 2024 Democratic presidential nominee.

    Never, ever underestimate the ability of the Dems to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. She'll be 36 in 2024 . . .just barely eligible. Maybe Katie Couric can ask her what books she reads.

    Except that exact same formula lead to victory twice.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,969 Senior Member

    I don't think she is the anointed one, Sherb. Her nomination and eventual election to the house is noteworthy because of her age and the improbability of her primary win. It makes good headlines and even better fodder for the right because she is left of Bernie. Nothing to see here; move right along...

    Run, Joe, run!!! We had better not nominate Warren. I think Don Jr. could beat her in the general.

  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,426 Senior Member
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 349 Senior Member

    @MikeA said:

    @sherb said:
    Since we seem to be doing non sequiturs. . . Here’s one.

    https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/climate-alarmists-doomsday-predictors-wrong/

    Ah yes, another non-scientific evaluation of a scientific issue by a politically-motivated person. Lots of value in that (not).

  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,426 Senior Member

    I am unemployed because I only have 1 paying job.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.