I am Confident

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,149 Senior Member

after the Trump/Putin meeting and news conference.

A short time back he quoted Stalin "The press is the enemy of the people." That the EU is a foe. Now takes Putin's word over U.S. intelligence.agencies. But of course the House "intelligence" committee agreed with trump and Putin. I hope some of you take the time to watch it. It's scary. Mr. Trump should revisit the oath he took and also understand that he represents this country, not himself. I never expected anything else from trump, but to watch the GOP remain silent is scary. How much are they willing to sacrifice. Hey Mitch, you were always a hard liner in regards to Russia...the cat got your tongue? So far only Jeff Flake came out strongly, the rest are all cowards. Funny to watch FOX and their spin. So far Putin bad, Russia bad, and trump, he's being out classed by Putin. That's it.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

embarrassing.

Par for the course, but still.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,811 Senior Member

I was on a longish drive, switching channels but hearing mostly what you said above. One or two commentators stopped just short of saying this confirms that the Russkies have something on Trump. I did not hear or see the press conference. The sound bites I heard, and the commentary sound dangerously close to treason rather than narcissism, the latter being a mental disorder for which the afflicted may not be held fully responsible. In either case the man is completely unfit for the office he holds and the GOP in Congress needs to grow a pair.

If the rabid ones want to impeach someone, instead of Rosenstein they might go after their very own Devin Nunes, a Trump "fellow traveler" - to bring back another phrase from Stalin's era.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 965 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #5

We definitely now live in an F upped up world where Putin and Rocket Man Kim are good people and the likes of Justin Trudeau and Angela Merkel are bad.

Senator McCain nailed it. When are the rest of the Rs in Congress going to have the stones to stand up and be counted?

edited July 2018 #6

I just read that former CIA Director John Brennan called Trump's performance "treasonous".

“Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of ‘high crimes & misdemeanors.’ It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-summit/shock-as-trump-backs-putin-on-election-meddling-at-summit-idUSKBN1K601D

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,325 Senior Member

The reality is that you are never going to get Donald Trump to admit that he did not win the Presidency fair and square. It's just not going to happen.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    The reality is that you are never going to get Donald Trump to admit that he did not win the Presidency fair and square. It's just not going to happen.

the truth...but I am not trying too. haha

and sherb, McCain no longer counts as a rep, his present party has no use for him. I still respect him, most of his colleagues don't.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,778 Senior Member

Was this the same Putin we sold our Uranium to?

You're a bit confused.

A Russian company bought a controlling interest in a Canadian company that owned a U.S. uranium mine. Some of its uranium was exported legally to Canada, and of that a small portion was exported legally to Western Europe and perhaps Asia. There is no evidence that any reached Russia.

Despite Trump's claims, Hillary Clinton was not the one who allowed this to happen. She was one of nine Cabinet members who signed off on it, but she did not have the power to veto the deal. Late last year the Senate Intelligence Committee began an investigation into possible pay-to-play links between her chop on the deal and Russian donations to the Clinton Foundation. I do not know its status.

edited July 2018 #11

What I understand is that Clinton is cleared of any wrongdoing… So was Billy, who readily accepted huge paydays from Moscow for ”speeches” . Nothing to see here as usual. So, the only person who could have stopped the deal which looks really, really, bad if I’m to believe Russia is our mortal enemy,,, was Obama (and the DOJ?) but he/they were warming up to Russia themselves despite the bribery and kickbacks. Sorry but there was a big lack of outrage from the left over us handing them Uranium, so forgive me if I’m not outraged over a meeting.
    http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/355749-fbi-uncovered-russian-bribery-plot-before-obama-administration

So, serious question. Had this deal just happened with the current admin, EXACTLY how it happned under Obama. Would you all be okay with it? Be honest.

edited July 2018 #13

Just another tidbit of info to think about...

Which makes it interesting that the FBI, under its then-chief Robert Mueller, appears to have sat on the case—only getting around quietly to announcing a plea deal with the Russian executive five years later, in 2015. It is not necessarily wrong for the FBI to consider the impact on national-security policy of any criminal case that it intends nevertheless to pursue to conviction. But the fact remains: The FBI handled the Uranium One matter in a manner that avoided making immediate trouble for the policy and political interests of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/uranium-one-is-a-curious-case-1518564360

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 507 Senior Member

Holy deflection, Batman!

edited July 2018 #15

@bmmike said:
    Holy deflection, Batman!

So, serious question. Had this deal just happened with the current admin, EXACTLY how it happned under Obama. Would you be okay with it? Be honest.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,012 Senior Member

I'm feeling even a bit more bilious than normal after reading about all this. As little as I'd like Mike Pence in the driver's seat, I think it's time for him and the "Gang of Five' (or however many it takes) to declare the man incompetent and send him off to his golf palace in Florida wrapped in wet bed sheets.

Jim

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,579 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    Was this the same Putin we sold our Uranium to?

The level of stupid in this statement is difficult to measure without a super computer.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@MikeA said:
    So, serious question. Had this deal just happened with the current admin, EXACTLY how it happned under Obama. Would you all be okay with it? Be honest.

Yes.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited July 2018 #19

@fishingcomic said:

@MikeA said:

Yes.

Now if Obama's son took a meeting with a Russian spy to get dirt on McCain, would you be okay with that?

Did you even read any of that?
    FBI uncovered Russian bribery plot before Obama administration approved controversial nuclear deal with Moscow
    In evidentiary affidavits signed in 2014 and 2015, an Energy Department agent assigned to assist the FBI in the case testified that Mikerin supervised a “racketeering scheme” that involved extortion, bribery, money laundering and kickbacks that were both directed by and provided benefit to more senior officials back in Russia.

“As part of the scheme, Mikerin, with the consent of higher level officials at TENEX and Rosatom (both Russian state-owned entities) would offer no-bid contracts to US businesses in exchange for kickbacks in the form of money payments made to some offshore banks accounts,” Agent David Gadren testified.

“Mikerin apparently then shared the proceeds with other co-conspirators associated with TENEX in Russia and elsewhere,” the agent added.

The investigation was ultimately supervised by then-U.S. Attorney Rod Rosenstein, an Obama appointee who now serves as President Trump’s deputy attorney general, and then-Assistant FBI Director Andrew McCabe, now the deputy FBI director under Trump, Justice Department documents show.

Both men now play a key role in the current investigation into possible, but still unproven, collusion between Russia and Donald Trump’s campaign during the 2016 election cycle. McCabe is under congressional and Justice Department inspector general investigation in connection with money his wife’s Virginia state Senate campaign accepted in 2015 from now-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe at a time when McAuliffe was reportedly under investigation by the FBI. The probe is not focused on McAuliffe's conduct but rather on whether McCabe's attendance violated the Hatch Act or other FBI conflict rules.

I'm not defending Trump. I haven't seen the meeting to defend him from it. I'm just pointing out that there's a lot fishy about this whole deal. Real tangible evidence of possible collusion with Russia during the Obama years. I've yet to see anything as compelling about Trump to date. But carry on with the outrage. It's what ya'll do.

Whahhhh I cannot defend the Treason of Trump so, I will bring up something that was investigated and no evidence was found regarding Clinton and Obama.

The man is a traitor to his country only a sycophant like you can fail to see it.

Rosenstein was nominated by Trump to fire Comey.

There has been no evidence that donations to the Clinton Foundation influenced the Uranium One deal.
    Mrs. Clinton’s campaign spokesman, Brian Fallon, has said suggestions they did were “baseless.”
    In 2015 the F.B.I., at several of its field offices, opened preliminary investigations into the Clinton Foundation. Agents wanted to pursue a wider investigation and conduct interviews and obtain subpoenas. The F.B.I. eventually consolidated the cases at its headquarters. Former officials said that career public corruption prosecutors in Washington concluded there was not enough evidence to move forward with a case.

edited July 2018 #27

Right, everybody knows the Clintons took money from Russia, a whole lot of money. The exact same Russia that you're all on here accusing of trying to destroy America,,. Had she won I'm sure you guys would be all over this...

But Clinton aside, what I'd like to know is why did the DOJ and FBI hid or failed to report the bribery kickbacks, and extortion, from the committee who would approve the deal? Who were they answering to??

There's some dark Clancy like **** happening around this whole Russia story and I wonder if maybe its not Obama or Trump thats behind it. Trump isn't intelligent enough to have pulled all these strings.

Again this is not about Clinton, get your head out of Putin's tuckus.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member

Holy tap dancing Christ.

$hit show doesn’t even begin to describe that.

The only thing it did prove is that trump isn’t going after Roe v Wade because that performance was a complete abortion

@fishingcomic said:
    Again this is not about Clinton, get your head out of Putin's tuckus.

I guess reading isn't your strong suit.

Logic is not one of yours, that is certain.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.