Trump will unveil nominee for Supreme Court in four hours on my mark. .

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 2,115 Senior Member

Mark.

So. . . who's it gonna be?

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,115 Senior Member

Barrett would be my first choice, but apparently her interview with Trump didn't go well.

How people know this I have no idea. I had three interviews for judicial positions with our governor. I still have no idea how I did.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,222 Senior Member

What's the story on People of Praise?

@Steven said:
    What's the story on People of Praise?

depends on who you ask.

Are we going to need to take away the punch bowl?

@Steven said:
    Are we going to need to take away the punch bowl?

lol its a distinct possibility.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/07/amy-coney-barretts-alleged-religious-group-people-of-praise-what-is-it.html

That doesn't sound so scary.

I don't think so either.

She's different. Non Ivy-Leaguer. 7 kids, two of whom are adopted.

Ironically enough, it was Feinstein who brought her to prominence and made her the top choice of social conservatives by questioning whether she could follow the law during her confirmation hearing last year.

Yeah. I was aware of all that.

The buzz is that its Kavanaugh. Make of that what you will.

You know my track record on predictions.

He seems the most likely to pick up a Dem vote or two. I know the Far Right isn't totally thrilled with him, though.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,686 Senior Member
    edited July 9 #12

I'm going with Barrett....mostly just because I want to see the left go crazy...well ok, more so

He could nominate Kennedy and the left would still be pissed.

Seems Kavanaugh is most noted as being very anti-Chevron. This is a good thing.

This seems to be one of the few things that Trump takes seriously and puts some thought into. I mean, we might go nuclear with NK and apparently we killed a UN resolution calling for more breastfeeding (****?) and we might lose a trade war with China, but on the judicial nominations he has played it straight.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,580 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    This seems to be one of the few things that Trump takes seriously and puts some thought into. I mean, we might go nuclear with NK and apparently we killed a UN resolution calling for more breastfeeding (****?) and we might lose a trade war with China, but on the judicial nominations he has played it straight.

Yeah he put some thought into the fact that this guy wrote a paper in opposition to indicting a sitting president.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,777 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

Yeah he put some thought into the fact that this guy wrote a paper in opposition to indicting a sitting president.

Perfect, someone who would help 45 be above the law

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Looks like we are becoming more like Venezuela every day.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,212 Senior Member

The sky is falling...

@fishingcomic said:

By nominating conservative judges? That's certainly a unique take.

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

This is the new talking point for Schumer, Booker, et. al. but there's a lot less here than meets the eye. Its a fairly mainstream view in legal circles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/07/11/does-brett-kavanaugh-think-the-president-is-immune-from-criminal-charges/?utm_term=.353fe090afce

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,636 Senior Member

Has Kavanaugh been confirmed yet? I'll just wondering when we get the greenlight to commit character assassination on someone nobody has ever heard of.

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

By nominating conservative judges? That's certainly a unique take.

By nominating judges that believe in an Imperial Presidency and shield him from the rule of law.

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

This is the new talking point for Schumer, Booker, et. al. but there's a lot less here than meets the eye. Its a fairly mainstream view in legal circles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/07/11/does-brett-kavanaugh-think-the-president-is-immune-from-criminal-charges/?utm_term=.353fe090afce

This from the people that supported Bjork.

@fishingcomic said:

This from the people that supported Bjork.

So you mean...smart people.

edited July 12 #27

I mean people that love authoritarianism and believe that unless a right is enumerated, it doesn't exist. Regardless if it is the basic premise of ever single right listed in the constitution.

Plus people like **** Cheney and Richard Nixon that believe that if the President does it, it can't be illegal.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,212 Senior Member

We are doomed I say!!! Doomed!!!!

• saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member

It's as if the USA doesn't exist anymore with the unregulated KKK churchstate cops militia that, playing "man is God" lynching enforcement fabricating misnomers as if it's an immaculate conception of a West **** Germany Virginia churchstate where threatening to kill one to their face even if not even present or an immaculate conception of a Federal Lynching churchstate of hate already killing one that isn't even dead as the law of the land of Islam Christiananality pedophile mentality suicidal homicidal sociopsychopathic human farming.

@fishingcomic said:
    I mean people that love authoritarianism and believe that unless a right is enumerated, it doesn't exist. Regardless if it is the basic premise of ever single right listed in the constitution.

Plus people like **** Cheney and Richard Nixon that believe that if the President does it, it can't be illegal.

I don't think that's the argument. I went looking for the paper Kavanaugh drafted but couldn't find it yesterday (admittedly I didn't look that hard). The argument would be that an indictment would have to follow impeachment and removal. Honestly, without doing the research, just based on the structure of our system, I would have assumed that a sitting president can't be indicted.

@Squeezlesnits said:
    saltydancindave....your posts always make me flashback to that scene in Lethal Weapon 2 where Sgt Murtaugh and Leo Getz enter the South African embassy under the guise that Sgt Murtaugh wants to emigrate to South Africa and when the guy at the desk stammers out 'but but but...your black' and then Sgt Murtaugh gets a going and just keeps winding up as he begins to rant about opression and regimes and helping his brothers and attacking the group and their institutions and practices dominating society in South Africa at the time as reasons for why he wants to go...and there's old Leo Getz getting more and more excited with a expression of wicked satisfaction and pleasure on his face punctuating everything Murtaugh says with keywords pulled from Murtaugh's rant or supporting and approving yeahs...

but, but but. . .you're black!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file