Justice Kennedy retiring.

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 3,217 Senior Member

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,460 Senior Member

We need to wait until the next election. It is too close to the end of his term to let him pick. The American people need a say.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,711 Senior Member

LOL.

Assuming Comic isn't correct, Trump gets to replace a swing vote.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,829 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    We need to wait until the next election. It is too close to the end of his term to let him pick. The American people need a say.

Not bad. I laughed.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,217 Senior Member

You never Trumper conservatives can thank me now. A Starbucks card donation will be fine.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,920 Senior Member

Hahahahahahaha.

Poor libs.

edited June 27 #9

We don't have any WASP Harvard or Yale grads.

@Buffco said:
    Hahahahahahaha.

Poor libs.

They feel today like I felt when Scalia died.

McConnell gambled and it paid off huge. Huge.

By the way, there is now fairly definitive evidence that Scalia's death swung the election to Donald Trump.

History is terrifying in its contingency.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 776 Senior Member

@Steven said:

Evidence of how far the country has deteoriated.

edited June 27 #13

@Green Mt Boy said:

@Steven said:

Evidence of how far the country has deteoriated.

Here's evidence how far the country has deteriorated.

@MikeA said:
    You never Trumper conservatives can thank me now. A Starbucks card donation will be fine.

It's over libs.

I like how this assumes that any of these ideas will actually be enacted, only to be swatted away by a conservative cabal on the Supreme Court

McConnell will still need Collins and Murkowski or he can't get to 51. We may end up with someone not that different than Kennedy.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,029 Senior Member

Buffy, I'm asking you this because I know Sherb's general reasoning behind his conservatism. But why are you pleased that Kennedy is retiring? Is it just guns? Is it taxes? Or is there something deeper?
    Thanks.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,900 Senior Member

Thank you Harry Reid.

@jbilly said:
    Thank you Harry Reid.

?????? For being a whiskey delta? He was that. Hated that guy almost as much as Pelosi.

How about you? What do you think about the questions I posed to Mr. Buffco?

For pulling the nuclear trigger. Dude I hate Harry Ried. Total sack of $hiiiiiittttttt

Such a shame we have to wait another generation to> @Shawn C. said:

Buffy, I'm asking you this because I know Sherb's general reasoning behind his conservatism. But why are you pleased that Kennedy is retiring? Is it just guns? Is it taxes? Or is there something deeper?
    Thanks.

There's no single issue. My reasons would mirror sherbs almost perfectly.

Beyond that, it's just giddy glee at the gnashing of teeth I imagine libs are experiencing right now. As sherb said, the same way we felt when Scalia died.

As for Kennedy I'll be happy if he's replaced by a conservative. A second Gorsuch would be great.

Guns, yeah I don't see anything happening with that, so yes happy about that

I think in Sherbs post #17 the last sentence sums it up nicely.

My own 2 cents is that a conservative court will be more inclined to follow constitution. Like I said in the case of the CO baker/ gay couple cake. I don't see how that wasn't a unanimous ruling. Same with the recent ruling on the travel ban.

The one thing I'd worry about is Roe v Wade. As you know I am not a religious rightwad at all. I'm totally ok with abortion and would think if its a major conservative that could be at risk.

I know that's assholish. I'd just rather we slow down this train cart to something unrecognizable.

Democracy only works with homogeneous societies where values are largely shared. Everyone thinks we live in a democracy now anyway, so it's just group identity and mob rule now. We're too fractured. So if a solid conservative appointee can slow down this crazy train of legislating through the bench, even for a couple of decades, I'm happy.

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, the problem with Roe is the hypocrisy of the right. Small government & less regulation for all things except the uterus. And of course the religious argument holds no water for either of us. And when it comes to law, it shouldn't.

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is the angst over universal health care. I save a lot of money for retirement (more than Dave Ramsay recommends!) but I still fear going broke from medical debt when I'm old. Do conservatives just figure they will pull their boot straps up when that happens?

@Shawn C. said:
    Thanks, guys!

And of course the religious argument holds no water for either of us.

Well now if that isn't fake news what is :smiley:

My long term health care plan ins a bottle of bourbon, the forest and a -10 degree night. Problem solved.

@jbilly said:
    My long term health care plan ins a bottle of bourbon, the forest and a -10 degree night. Problem solved.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy. ;)

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,217 Senior Member

A very intellegent and somewhat moderate USC Justice just gave this admin the knod by handing it the biggest present ever.
    Thats also a knod to the moderates who held their noses and pushed the button for Trump. If looked at that way, it could be a chance to come together.

I'm afraid it won't be seen that way though and the fighting will continue to escalate.

That is an interesting way of looking at it. I don't totally disagree with it, but you do understand it is much easier to be magnanimous when your side just hit a walk-off HR, right? Also, he won't be replaced by a moderate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.