Masterpiece Cake

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 2,279 Senior Member

SCOTUS just found for the Colorado baker that wouldn't make a wedding cake for a gay couple. 7-2.

I don't know enough to say, but the decision may have been specific to the facts in his case.

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,131 Senior Member

It was "specific" to the case. The big SC objection was supposedly ta reaction to the harsh reaction(language) by the Colorado human rights commission or something. I heard what they said can't remember the words as the bakers actions were contrary to Colorado law...but it was nothing. I don't understand, not being an attorney and not having the decision in front of me.

For me the big takeaway is that the baker considers himself a wedding cake "arteest." Give me a break.

oh well, I still can't write and communicate as I once did, too many holes in my memory. I realized I've lost stuff from well over twenty years.

Remember that Trump is above the law.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,167 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    SCOTUS just found for the Colorado baker that wouldn't make a wedding cake for a gay couple. 7-2.

I don't know enough to say, but the decision may have been specific to the facts in his case.

It was. I don't really know how much precedential value the decision will have, because it was quite obvious that the commission dismissed The Bakers' belief as insincerely held and then compared said belief to the holocaust. There's dicta in the case that suggest a free speech/ fundamental rights analysis could have been done, but no need. The Commission did Kennedy's work for him. Courts will never reach a broad ruling when a narrow one is possible.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 145 Senior Member
    edited June 4 #4

Heard a radio report that said it was the demand for a particular style of cake (gay oriented) that allowed the shop to say no (artists control of his work). If he had just refused to make them a cake because they were gay, it would have been a different result.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

Dude....Do you take Dude....to be your lawfully wedded Dude.....

Not that there's anything wrong with that :) :)

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,815 Senior Member

What a waste of time and resources.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,281 Senior Member

Excellent ruling!

But yeah, definitely a waste of time and resources all over a cake. Fercripesakes... If someone refuses to make you a cake then find someone else to do it.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member

What do you think would have happened if someone walked in and wanted a cake made in the shape of a KKK hat and the guy refused?

Anyway, my BFF works 2 days a week pretty close to there and he brings home goods from that store and they are yummy. ONLY reason he started this is because of this case and all the hoopla in the news.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,708 Senior Member

What would happen if there was a mixed race couple that wanted a wedding cake and the owner said mixed marriage were against his religion?

You know gluttony is a sin, maybe he should stop selling cakes to fat people.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

BTW can a man have a BFF?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,279 Senior Member

"The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths. Nevertheless, while those religious and philosophical objections are protected, it is a general rule that such objections do not allow business owners and other actors in the economy and in society to deny protected persons equal access to goods and services under a neutral and generally applicable public accommodations law." - Justice Kennedy

It seems to me that had the Colorado Commission actually dealt in good faith, Kennedy would have found for the couple.

@fishingcomic said:
    BTW can a man have a BFF?

That was my attempt and being funny. Thought you might be the only one to get that.

@fishingcomic said:

You know gluttony is a sin, maybe he should stop selling cakes to fat people.

It's not cake making people fat. They are fat because of sedentary lifestyle...Consume more calories than you burn, and you put on weight. It's really that simple.

@Steven said:
    "The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths. Nevertheless, while those religious and philosophical objections are protected, it is a general rule that such objections do not allow business owners and other actors in the economy and in society to deny protected persons equal access to goods and services under a neutral and generally applicable public accommodations law." - Justice Kennedy

It seems to me that had the Colorado Commission actually dealt in good faith, Kennedy would have found for the couple.

Well, at the very least the commission made it easy for SCOTUS to punt on the constitutional issue.

@NZ Indicator said:

It's not cake making people fat. They are fat because of sedentary lifestyle...Consume more calories than you burn, and you put on weight. It's really that simple.

Weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym.

@Steven said:

@NZ Indicator said:

JOE! HOW DO YOU GET TO BE IN YOUR MID-FORTIES AND NOT KNOW THIS!

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 92 Member

@sherb said:

@Steven said:

@NZ Indicator said:

“You can’t outrun bad nutrition.”

-Anonymous (said as two double cheeseburgers, 10 piece nuggets, large fry, and apple pie are being shoved into mouth)

Truer words.

@bmmike said:

@sherb said:

@Steven said:

@NZ Indicator said:

“You can’t outrun bad nutrition.”

-Anonymous (said as two double cheeseburgers, 10 piece nuggets, large fry, and apple pie are being shoved into mouth)

Truer words.

I feel that I get a mulligan though after standing in a river swinging all day. You can't outrun bad nutrition. . . But standing in a freezing a-s-s Atlantic Salmon river all day? Perhaps.

I do love Burgers and whiskey tho. T'is true.

193 yesterday evening.

Down from 215 - 220. Still slow as wife keeps sabotaging me.

edited June 6 #22

@sherb said:

@Steven said:

@NZ Indicator said:

I don't know, but I move a lot so I've kept the fat away. Biked 75 miles on memorial weekend. Biked 70 miles this past Saturday, Biked another 10 miles Sunday morning followed by a whole afternoon of trout fishing. Trout fished again Monday night after work. Biked 25 miles last night.

I've been losing weight the past few weeks while still consuming a cheeseburger or pizza here and there and having a few beers to boot.

Apparently I'm burning more calories then I'm consuming thus kind of letting me eat how I want without gaining weight.

Joe is like my kid, he spends 2 hours a day in the gym and eats more garbage in a day than I do in a week and he's stuck at 205.
    I just don't have the gumption to work out that hard and dang, I love food and booze.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,812 Senior Member

"Well, at the very least the commission made it easy for SCOTUS to punt on the constitutional issue."

This.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Still missing the point about gluttony being a sin though. But there is only one sin that concerns these idiots.

edited June 7 #26

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,614 Senior Member

Awesome!!!!! ^^^^^

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,713 Senior Member

@Steven said:

Agreed. With the way they found and ruled I was actually a bit surprised it wasn't a unanimous opinion.

One thing is for sure: in future cases, these cultural kommisars will keep their opinions to themselves and just issue rulings. And then SCOTUS will be forced to deal with the constitutional issues.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file